overall
RATINGS: 110   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.28/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
Brewed to drink long winter sessions of our favorite card game. Extensive dry hopping combined with a formidable malt bill creates the hoppiest beer in Redwood County!

islay (3121) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 16, 2010
12 oz. bottle. Biscuity aroma features orange, peach, yellow plum, and golden raisin fruit scents. Barley wine-esque smell. Also reminiscent of white wine. Smacks the nostrils with its power. Highly appetizing aroma. Pours a bronze to light amber color. The liquid is clear and effervescent. Moderate amount of yellowish, cream-colored head. Good, long-lasting lacing. Dry taste. The taste is less complex than is the aroma. Interesting finish that is heard to describe beyond being spicy, and I’m of mixed opinion as to its desirability. Light grape flavors, but mainly dusty dryness. Mostly English barley wine-like, but some dry Belgian, saison-like notes. Dry finish. Medium body. Easy to drink, especially given its strength. The palate effects generally are not remarkable. Low on the liveliness scale. It’s remarkable how different the flavor is from the aroma. The fruity notes of the aroma are barely present at all in the taste. Enjoyable and interesting, though not great (but good indeed). I’m glad I tried it.

badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - APR 12, 2010
Golden pour with small head. Aroma of sweet malt, lemon zest and grass. Flavor is quite funky and sour. Citrus hops initially, leading to a slightly sticky, sweet finish. Hints of diacetyl.

allendodd (117) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 4, 2010
Pours a thin, slightly yellow head over a coppery-brown clear beer. Nose is a big malty sweetness that is tempered just enough with a floral hop that I was ready to like this before I tasted it. First trip over the lips was a big malty sweetness, followed by a dusty grain depth, followed by a slight hop bitterness. Maybe coming on the heels of a Furious is making me appreciate the malt flavors a bit more than I normally would in an apa, but I’m liking this beer just fine. The finish is a bit sweet: there is a caramelized sugar flavor that lingers a bit long at the finish, but the beer is a keeper. I’d serve this to a non-geek guest with confidence that I was giving them a treat and something that wouldn’t turn them from craft beers. And I’d drink it because I liked it as well. The last Brau Bros beer I offered to a guest was a Scotch Ale or Brown ale that was horribly infected. My guest turned up her nose at my offering and I had to apologize for the bad bottle. That experience left me reluctant to buy their beers, and this Sheep Head is reassuring me that they might be OK to serve.

Nuffield (4247) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - MAR 15, 2010
I thought this was rather good in sum even if not in its parts. I can see why some would have said that this seems like a homebrew--I’ve had homebrews (admittedly from award-winning homebrewers) that are more polished and sophisticated than this, but despite being a bit noticeably strong (alcohol) in the flavor, and lacking complexity in hops, it strikes a rather nice balance between hops and malts--it’s plain in the aroma and then in the flavor it carries through with a rounded woody caramel. Sweetish finish without any hop unpleasantries. Decent and drinkable.

undsioux7 (872) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - FEB 20, 2010
Pours copper/brown. It is a sweet malty beer with some fruity hop highlights. Very malt forward for a pale. Alchohol is very present. A bit too sweet for me. I will have to say they are getting better. The first Brau beers I tried tasted like extracts that could be done at home.

13mikey (503) - New Hope, Minnesota, USA - FEB 19, 2010
12 oz bottle from TC Craft. Dark golden pour with a nice big white head and excellent lacing. Aroma and flavor are malty and hoppy, very nicely balanced. Finish has a nice hoppy bite.

nickd717 (4999) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 9, 2010
12oz bottle as an extra in a trade with deliriumfest on BA. Pours a hazy golden-copper color with a one-finger white head. Aroma is really nice - lots of tropical fruits (pineapple, mango) and orange, somewhat hoppy, along with sweet caramel malt. Flavor is also good but not quite as smooth as I hoped from the aroma. Tropical fruits are in there, pineapple mostly, as well as orange and grapefruit. Sweet caramel malt and pale malt balance, along with some noticeable booze (wow, this is 7.7% I see now!). Medium-bodied and just a little boozy for the style with average carbonation and some hop oils. Overall a pretty solid pale ale.

EHopper (620) - Minnesota, USA - DEC 5, 2009
Tasted at Beer Dabbler event in St. Paul. I would have liked to taste something really special for 300th beer. But the closest I could come is something close to where I used to live in Redwood Falls, MN. This beer was surprisingly complex with a very nice combination of hops enhancing a lot of nice malt and carmel. Actually a lot more flavor than often appears in a pale ale.

vikingguy (1106) - Carver, Minnesota, USA - NOV 6, 2009
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2014 Pours a hazy golden-orange color with medium foamy white head. Strong earthy, piney hops aroma. Hops definitely dominate the flavor but it’s balanced nicely with some sweet and citrusy maltiness. Notes of orange, grapefruit, piney cascade hops, grassy floral hops, and some sweet cereal malts. Long hoppy finish. This is better than expected; much more complex and a fuller mouthfeel. Very good ale from Brau Bros.

daknole (11048) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - NOV 3, 2009
Gold pour. Aroma contains lots of caramel malt, citrus hops and some crackers. Flavor is bitter and malty with citrus hops standing tall.