overall
RATINGS: 110   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.28/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
Brewed to drink long winter sessions of our favorite card game. Extensive dry hopping combined with a formidable malt bill creates the hoppiest beer in Redwood County!

otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - NOV 26, 2010
Appearance: amber and copper with orange streaking along the bottom. Soft head large in girth. Leaves a solid wall of lace in its wake while a puddle floats lazily in the middle. Swirls with more lace and a thicker blanket.
Nose: chewy, heavy whole grain rolls of wheat, flax, and grains. Dry grass underneath and in the back. Dry hop cones with residual sticky resins. Inner pith of citrus and mango. Overall very cohesive with aromas working together in thirst-inducing harmony.
Palate: clean and smooth. Creamy up front before building to a dry grassy hoppy middle and finish. Whole grains in bready form: rolls, loaves. Hint of orange and apricot sweetness. Dry grass and hop leaves linger in bitter form in the back of tongue and throat. Practically floats atop my tastebuds. More orange, apricot, and now peach in the front, their juices dripping into the whole grain loaves of bready delights.
Final Thoughts: drinking the Sheeps Head Ale was very much like drinking liquid bread. In fact, who needs bread when one has beer…oh wait, I do. In that case, I’ll have both seeing as I love both.

ApisAles (1575) - Greenbelt, Maryland, USA - JUL 6, 2013
Nice dark orange pour with a white head. Aroma is catty hops and a bit of resin. Flavor is sharply bitter, but not unpleasant. Good malt bill. Resinous and pungent. Pretty decent, but I have no idea why this is 7.7%

igneous1 (1538) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - SEP 17, 2009
copper color, clear, decent citrus hoppiness in the nose. flavor is a nice mix of brown sugar and citrus. the bitterness is more along the lines of an IPA rather than an APA. clean and crisp...not bad.

Onslow (1531) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - JUL 20, 2011
Pour from a 12 oz bottle. Deep red ale, crystal clear, with one finger of off white head. Aroma of sweet malts, caramel, flora hops. Taste follows the aroma - the swallow starts with sweet malts and traslates to a fine complex hoppiness, ending iwth a pleasant bitterness and dry finish. Hops are flora with overtones of spice, citrus, and pine. I didn’t know the style before looking here, but guessed pale ale, so it seems true to me, but the maltiness may also suggest a hopped a red ale. Either way it is a fine fine brew and one that I’ll be getting again. It may be a winter seaosnal but I’m quaffing it on a 96 degree day and loving every drop.

GJF (1520) - Mount Vernon, Iowa, USA - SEP 19, 2009
copper color, a bit of citrus hoppiness. flavor is a nice mix of malt and citrus. It says APA here, but it was marketed to us on tap as a double IPA--definitely not a DIPA. fairly dry body. It’s OK.

ccex (1365) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 30, 2011
Pours a clear reddish amber with a small white head. Nose is full of floral and citrus hops. Upon my first whiff I thought that this might be as great as my favorite 3 Floyds IPAs, but the aroma isn’t as complex or overhopped. Taste is only slightly bitter. Quite easy to drink, with slight carbonation. A delight to find, and one I’ll pick up again the next time I travel to Minnesota.

FunkyF (1335) - Örebro, SWEDEN - DEC 13, 2016
Flaska på Thunder Bay Grill. Mörkt orange med beige skum. Maltig doft med kola och karamell. Även smaken har kola, karamell och rejäl beska.

hfmejias (1297) - Marshall, Minnesota, USA - JUN 4, 2016
On tap at the brewery. Great beer; poured copper brown, clear with white head. Aroma is malty, fruit and hops highlights. Taste is sweet, some roast, some caramel notes and some alcohol. Very good beer and one of my favorites from these guys. Easy to drink and very enjoyable.

sherm1016 (1274) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 15, 2012
12oz bottle at the Marq VII. Pours a reddish amber color with a thin white head. Aroma is hoppy, more pine than citrus. Medium on the palate with average carbonation. Flavor is sweet, malty, bread, pine hops, with a sharp, bitter finish. Just ok.