overall
RATINGS: 110   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.28/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
Brewed to drink long winter sessions of our favorite card game. Extensive dry hopping combined with a formidable malt bill creates the hoppiest beer in Redwood County!

WisconsinBeer (716) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - FEB 7, 2009
On tap Winterfest 2009 St. Paul MN. Pours a hazy orange color with a minimal head. Mild malts, strong bittering and dry hop notes. Hops are fresh and citric. Dry finish, medium bodied. Wasn’t expecting much from this beer but was pleasantly surprised.

Ratman197 (15636) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - MAY 2, 2012
Bottle poured a clear tarnished copper with a lasting amber head. Aromas of carmel, lemon zest, earthiness, toasted malt and light grapefruit zest. Palate was medium bodied and smooth with a dry finish. Flavors of carmel, earthiness, grapefruit zest and light lemon zest with a smooth dry bitter lingering grapefruit finish.

deyholla (12590) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUN 19, 2012
On tap at SPSBF. Pours a clear amber with a light brown head that dissipates slowly to the edges. Aroma has a nice pine note backed by grapefruit and sweet grains. Flavor has more grapefruit up front that is joined by pine and has a pleasant not too sweet malt backbone.

csaso (2362) - Missouri, USA - OCT 12, 2014
Bottle - average size foamy head, murky dark copper color, well balanced with citrusy hops, solid malt backbone, and some yeasty complexity, very good overall ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Skyview (6115) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - FEB 7, 2009
On draught during Winterfest 2009 in St Paul, MN. Pours a clear copper amber brew with a creamy off-white head that slowly dissipates to a thin white head with spotty lacing. Aroma of roasted Belgian malt, some citrus and floral hops, a touch of mild herbs and some grapefruit. Taste is light to medium bodied, with flavors of roasted golden grain and caramel malts, lemon zest, a hint of floral hops and some light fruit. Finish is semi-dry with a mild citrus aftertaste that follows a sharp bitterness.

heemer77 (5361) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - MAY 6, 2009
Deep amber that is near copper with a light yellowish khaki head. Smells of grapefruit and sweet crystal malt are strong up front. There is also some pleasing dry straw. The taste has some bitter grapefruit peel and black pepper spice. The finish is fairly sweet with some toasted toffee. Wow, this is pretty much an IPA in my opinion. Good brew.

mettkea (6) - Minnesota, USA - AUG 28, 2009 does not count
From a 12 oz bottle into a glass. Nice copperish color with a nice malty nose. The taste (like the aroma) started very malty but ended with a nice hop kick similar to an IPA.

allendodd (117) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 4, 2010
Pours a thin, slightly yellow head over a coppery-brown clear beer. Nose is a big malty sweetness that is tempered just enough with a floral hop that I was ready to like this before I tasted it. First trip over the lips was a big malty sweetness, followed by a dusty grain depth, followed by a slight hop bitterness. Maybe coming on the heels of a Furious is making me appreciate the malt flavors a bit more than I normally would in an apa, but I’m liking this beer just fine. The finish is a bit sweet: there is a caramelized sugar flavor that lingers a bit long at the finish, but the beer is a keeper. I’d serve this to a non-geek guest with confidence that I was giving them a treat and something that wouldn’t turn them from craft beers. And I’d drink it because I liked it as well. The last Brau Bros beer I offered to a guest was a Scotch Ale or Brown ale that was horribly infected. My guest turned up her nose at my offering and I had to apologize for the bad bottle. That experience left me reluctant to buy their beers, and this Sheep Head is reassuring me that they might be OK to serve.

DrnkMcDermott (3176) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JUL 23, 2010
12 oz. bottle from HyVee, Storm Lake, IA. My first encounter with these brewers. Sure, there was a pils and a dark ale on the shelves, but when you see "single batch series" on a label, that’s what you gotta grab. Claims four "spicy" varieties of hops besides the dry-hopping. Pours a rich-looking amber color with a lot of bubbles at the start. Doesn’t kick up much of a head. Smell says "pale ale" indeed, a bit more peppery and hoppy than malty. But the taste is pretty big. I get the impression of German hops, it seems, balanced by a little bit of American piny hops. Slight ale fruitiness noted in this hop-forward beer. Ends up with more malt in the finish.

joechristenson (149) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - AUG 2, 2012
12 oz bottle at home. Aroma reminds me of a smokey Scotch . . . not what I expected, but I like it. No barn or sheep detected . . . mostly Scotchy malts and some grassy hops. Tastes nothing like Scotch . . . great malt/hop balance, though the hops come to dominate on the finish. They’re a bit bossy for me to say this qualifies as a great balance, though since I love hops i"ll let it go. The hops have a nice taste -- a bit rustic, earthy, somewhat light but they pack some punch, too. Welterweight hops! Tasty -- I’d love to buy this out on tap instead of Summit EPA any day. Here’s to dreaming.