overall
RATINGS: 1164   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65/5   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
Hoppy? Brother, 471 redefines hoppy. 471 is a small batch, limited edition ale that was created by our Brewmaster to separate the weak from the strong. 471 is a double IPA, that combines Pale, Munich, Caramel-30, Carapils and Torrified Wheat malts, with Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe and Fuggles hops. It has a big sweet mouthfeel, followed by more hoppiness than you've ever had at one time. Enjoy. (Available at Breckenridge Pubs and Restaurants and bottled as 471 Small Batch Double Hopped IPA.)

beervana (781) - Libertyville, Illinois, USA - JUL 19, 2006
(05.26.06) One pint, 6 oz brown bottle from DiCarlo’s, Mundelein, IL. Poured clear orange with small white head. Soft carbonation. Hoppy aroma. Medium-bodied double IPA that starts with light malt sweetness and citric (grapefruit) hop flavors. Finished with light hop bitterness. Well-balanced beer with firm malt foundation to support a hoppy profile. More hop flavor than bitterness. This is one delicious drinkable ale and I enjoyed it with pizza.

Ughsmash (7502) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 17, 2006
Bottled. Lightly hazy, golden peacy pour with a medium cap of foamy off-white head. The nose was mellow for the style, but pleasant with rich toffee, grapefruit, juicy pears, and a hefty dose of perfumey hops. The flavor was a bit sharp and muddled... bright alcohol and almost metallic bitterness... toffee and caramel base... juicy fruits and piney bitterness surrounding. Balance felt a tad heavily-skewed to the alcohol... and the bitterness was too sharp. Still good, though... could’ve been really good.

TPaliga (212) - Munster, Indiana, USA - JUL 15, 2006
Pours amber with thin fizzy head. Aroma is all piney resiny citrus hops with some sweet fruit. Sticky and big on the mouth with lots of bitter hops finish.

Jedsbrew (464) - Rhineland, Missouri, USA - JUL 10, 2006
Poured a slightly hazy orange/gold with a short durable head and lacing. Intense aroma like holding a handful of fresh hops to your nose. I was expecting a hoppy blast in the flavor and it’s there alright but this is more balanced than I thought it would be-drinkability high for the style but the strong bitterness in the finish slowed me down some. Good stuff.

mojoman (158) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 7, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2012 Bottle. Very good beer, especially for those that like their beer hoppy. Light orange in color. Very happy to get my hands on this small batch brew. I agree with a couple of reviewers in that the aroma fades after the first few sniffs and drinks. The great taste hits the roof of the mouth for sure, as the best IPA’s normally do. I’ll make sure to grab more than a sixer should I see this again.

ehhdayton (1188) - USA - JUL 3, 2006
There is a low hoppish aroma and a pour that is amber with an off white head. The flavor is hoppish with a strong piney and citrusy flavor. The finish is moderate with a slight hoppish bite.

blankboy (7884) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 2, 2006
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry, GregClow, jerc & tupalev -- courtesy of HogTownHarry. Pours a clear orange with an average size somewhat-lasting white head. Lovely floral and funky hop aroma with pine and spruce -- smells great. Flavour -- whoa! That’s HOPPY. It’s somewhat one-dimensional but it tastes great nonetheless. Medium bodied. It could have a little more going on but for what it is, a damn hoppy beer, I really liked it.

GregClow (3402) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 29, 2006
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry, blankboy, tupalev & jerc - courtesy of HogTownHarry. Golden-orange with a moderate white head. Aroma - lotsa hops, sprucey and a bit vegetal. Flavour is very hoppy - I mean very, VERY hoppy - lots of grapefruit and spruce, not much else. I dig hops, so I liked it for what it was, but it could use some more malt and body to balance things out.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUN 28, 2006
Clear appearance, cast in a honey-glazed amber-y hue, with prodigioius puffy, lacey foam above. Nice lookin’. Aroma is soft, piney, citric, pleasant, but muted. Candyish tones overtake bitterness. Appealing. Brisk blash of bitter on the palate, then caramel flavor rolls in, toffee, like a brief battle between hops and malt, this candyish sweetness muffling the bitterness. Interesting. Fruit bobs up again, but instantly enfolded by sweet caramel. An interesting combo, one I don’t encounter in an IPA very often...but one that doesn’t quite hold my in sway with it’s charms for very long. Full mouthfeel, lot going on in the texture, medium to full bodied, tasty, complex finish, hangs long on the palate...but, alas, the flavor doesn’t quite cut it all the way, for me. Still good, just not what I look for in an IPA. An accomplished ale, nonetheless. ( P.S: I had no idea the alcohol was so high when I first sampled it...kudos for keeping it hidden, but I have a feeling it’ll kick in as I finish the bomber!)

Enniskillen (2061) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JUN 27, 2006
Very fruity, floral aroma with a light hop background. Unique taste is floral and hoppy w/ a sweet brown sugar note.