Breckenridge Avalanche Amber Reserve

overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 20   MEAN: 3.16/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
To celebrate the 10th anniversary of our Kalamath St. Brewery we're offering this single release Avalanche Reserve Amber Ale. As befitting the occasion, this is a special, stronger version of our beloved flagship ale.

garrison (812) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - JUL 31, 2012
Purchased at Glenway Crossing Remke/Biggs - Alright, this is an amber gued brew with a tall white head and a pleasing taste... nothing fantastic, though.

Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAY 24, 2008
1.0 L Bottle. Dark amber color. Stale aroma of aged malts, perhaps some honey and fruit. Flavor has some complexity, with a fairly nice sweet maltiness and ok finish. Pretty decent beer.

JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUN 1, 2007
Rating from memory. Big-ass bottle purchased in Boulder, July 2006. Not a big amber fan (yeah, I know this is branded as something else) but this one had some mildly interesting notes of sweet-ish malts (at times a tad wee heavy-ish) and candied flavors. Glad I got it at a decent price, though, as I probably wouldn’t try this again.

jason (1836) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 10, 2007
Bottle #856/1200 thanks to Hopdog for sharing this. Dark amber body with thin head. Had a sweet candy cherry aroma. Sweet taste with slight alcohol burn. The alcohol stayed till the end. Pretty smooth taste and warmed me up.

hopdog (13102) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 27, 2007
1 liter bottle labeled #856 out of 1,200. Poured a deep reddish / mahogany color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of nuts, caramel, toffee, roast, light chocolate and some orange peels. Malty. Tastes of carmel, citrus, and somewhat nutty. Not a bad beer, but not worth the price I paid for this bottle.

TomDecapolis (4636) - Milton, Delaware, USA - MAR 27, 2007
Thanks to hopdog for sharing this bottle #856 of #1200. Pours a translucent ruby amber with an average bubbly/creamy off white head that left some lacing. Aroma of candy sweet citrus hops, sweet caramel malt, hints of some toffee and various fruits. Flavor was kind of bland and malty, some caramel sweetness, very light hops

topherh (1929) - Kearney, Missouri, USA - MAR 10, 2007
Bottle #128 Poured a reddish brown with a half inch off white head. Aroma was very malty almost like a barleywine. Taste of sweet malt with very little bitterness to balance it out. I was certainly expecting more out of this "Single Release". Very overpriced.

KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - JAN 23, 2007
Bottle #950. Pours a full, dense amber with a great head and intricate lacing. Aroma is bready grain, with a splash of smoke. Flavor follows suit but with a strawberr finish in place of the smoke. Full and coating mouthfeel. Not bad, but too bready tasting; definitely not worth $20.

scania (188) - Malmö, SWEDEN - JAN 1, 2007
Bottle #565/1200. Deep amber with tan head. Malty aroma. Flavor: Caramel fruitiness with moderate bitterness. Disappointing.

PhillyBeer2112 (2894) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - DEC 7, 2006
I dragged my feet on buying this one but I finally gave in. $17 (it was reduced, they weren’t moving). Bottle #1135 out of 1200. Not so great - you’d think if you’re going to make a special anniversary beer, you’d make it nice. Heavy on the malt side, with an almost bockish profile: caramel, light floral, grape candy. medium, rounded palate, dark red-amber color. Underhopped. I couldn’t finish it and didn’t want to pour it so I recapped it and got back to it the next day. I had picked up a slight buttery character that cut the cloying sweetness just a bit, and gave it some complexity. Much better that 2nd day but I’m not going to let that affect the numbers overly...