overall
RATINGS: 1405   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.27/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Who would have thought deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grew the perfect ingredient to build an extraordinary Porter in Colorado? An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure, real vanilla bean. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. A vanilla kiss in a rich, dark sea.

drjay44 (3739) - Salida, Colorado, USA - JUL 5, 2008
A cookie in a glass. Completely dominated by the vanilla flavors. Given the earlier praise from some tasters, is it possible they accidently spilt a few gallons of extract into this batch??

dmtroyer (431) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 28, 2008
12oz. Pours boarding on black with a tan head. I can’t get over how much this smells and tastes like cross between a black cherry and cream soda. There was some black cherry in the nose as well as a few notions of roasted coffee. This was borderline offensive chilled, much more palatable as it warmed to room temperature. I still felt like the vanilla was more of an afterthought and was not well integrated with any sort of roasted malt that I think would have balanced out the vanilla.

wmubronco1992 (709) - Coldwater, Michigan, USA - JUN 25, 2008
UPDATED: APR 5, 2009 Draft. Dark brownish black with a tan head. Good lacing Subtle vanilla aroma. Pleasant mixture of chocolate, vanilla, and coffee flavors. Very enjoyable porter. Will try again.

HeinensBeerGuy (1) - , Ohio, USA - JUN 20, 2008 does not count
Just received this in store, decided to take a 6 pack home and try it out. This beer is nice and dark with a thin beige/tan head. I could definitely smell the vanilla, and not much else. The vanilla was more pronounced in the aroma than in the taste. Vanilla was apparent, but traditional porter flavors broke through as well. I disagree on the overpowered vanilla taste, I found it to be a perfect amount. Creamy mouth feel and a nice smooth finish round out this wonderful beer.

Pileus (2) - Dansville, Michigan, USA - JUN 16, 2008 does not count
A good job mixing hops and vanilla. The vanilla kicks off a good flavor but gets over powered.

inkubus27 (269) - highland, Indiana, USA - JUN 5, 2008
A friend ordered this and i gave it a try... i was really surprised. This stuff was actually really good and had a great vanilla aroma and flavor. I’m a bit new to the porter style, but this was a very good beer.

WesKBob (563) - Bethany, Oklahoma, USA - MAY 31, 2008
Pours a dark brown with a thin beige head. Nice caramel malt and vanilla aromas. Flavor was a little sweeter, but not as strong with vanilla as I was expecting. Even without the vanilla, it would be a respectable porter, with some decent roasted malts. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. One other note--I’d drank most of this bottle and then forgot about it when another, much hoppier beer (Sierra Nevada) came. But later I realized that I hadn’t finished the Breckenridge and went to finish it. This time, I picked some smokey notes I hadn’t noticed before. It may have just been the residual of the other beer playing tricks on my tastebuds, but interesting nonetheless.

mjholla82 (3) - Ohio, USA - MAY 31, 2008 does not count
This was my very first try at a vanilla porter, and i throughly enjoyed it. The scent of vanilla is prominent in the first smell. The pour is dark brown with a thin tan head. The taste is strong vanilla, with a hint of chocolate with roasted malts.

PorterFiend (8) - Westland, Michigan, USA - MAY 30, 2008 does not count
Still the best vanilla porter I’ve tasted. I’ve had it in the bottle and on draft, and I was amazed at how well the bottle holds its own. Pouring this one’s half the fun: a rich, dark brown with an attractive, creamy tan top. The vanilla flavor is pronounced, but definitely take a moment just to savor the smell. Some other people have mentioned the dark malts: they’re right. You’ll also find some chocolate and coffee in the flavor; the vanilla compliments both nicely. The finish isn’t too long for my tastes, but I’ve talked to some people who thought it lingered. It’s not the lightest beer in the world, but I am repeatedly suprised that it’s not as heavy as it looks. Then again, I’m a sucker for porters.

donteatpoop (127) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2008
Poured a beautiful dark brown with a nice off-white head. Smelled of dark malts and vanilla. The taste was, as expected, vanilla. It was really smooth, the taste was great. You can’t always be sure when you see ’vanilla’ but Breckenridge made good use of the flavor. Thick and creamy in the mouth, went down smooth. Very drinkable. Pour me another, please. Serving type: on-tap