overall
RATINGS: 1484   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.27/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Who would have thought deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grew the perfect ingredient to build an extraordinary Porter in Colorado? An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure, real vanilla bean. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. A vanilla kiss in a rich, dark sea.

johndavidj99 (125) - Dallas, Maine, USA - FEB 22, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2008 Pours black with big rich off white creamy head. Aroma is bad. It smells cheap and macro. Very strong vanilla in nose and taste. Pretty smooth taste. Pretty good texture with slight bitterness. Bittersweet mouth feel that starts sweet, but the burnt bitterness lingers (like the cloying sweetness). The balance and cohesion isn’t perfect, but not bad overall. My favorite part of it is the vanilla experiment.

prosqtor (408) - Appleton, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 16, 2008
Just misses. Pours like a porter should, thinner than you think in mouthfeel, with just a hint of vanilla. Not quite better than average.

BMan1113VR (7931) - Los Angeles, California, USA - FEB 15, 2008
Aroma is very heavy roasted chocolatee malts with a gint of vanilla and nuttyness. Small, creamy, white brown heaed covering a dark brown body. Minimal lacing. Taste is somewhat unpleasent with a very sour taste. Very malty and earthy, not much vanilla or even chocolate. Watery mouthfeel with lively carbonation. Not as good as it sounds.

skoisirius (1909) - Earth, Washington, USA - FEB 13, 2008
12 oz bottles. Have sampled on tap once, and bottled around six times. I waited for almost 2 years before I finally saw some of this in my beer hunting. This pours a dark brown with a creamy tan white head. Aroma of light milk chocolate and vanilla. WOW - this one is SWEET, but oh soooo good. The vanilla flavors blend excellently with the light roast of the porter and the light chocolate hints in the background. Very creamy body. This is like desert. I love this beer (seems to me more than most)!!

dslunsford1 (55) - Hampton, Virginia, USA - FEB 12, 2008
I got this off the tap list just because I was "jonesing" for some skiing in this snow-less town. I smelled the vanilla coming off the top even before the waitress put it down. Very heavy and tasty, although not many people at my table liked it.

VitaminR (540) - Colorado, USA - FEB 10, 2008
Surprisingly had little nose. Dark brown with a hint of ruby. The vanilla is present, but almost tastes artificial? Not very complex, not very balanced, almost stale? Much better porters out there.

amishcaravan (247) - Winona, Minnesota, USA - FEB 9, 2008
Purchased in Breckenridge sampler pack. Nice aroma of chocolate and vanilla. quickly disappearing head that turns into a white ring around the outside of the glass. Pours a dark brown. Taste is very smooth with taste of vanilla and chocolate. Aftertaste is quite pleasent as well. I would purchase this again.

keepersj12 (3117) - Sicklerville, New Jersey, USA - FEB 8, 2008
I guess I like this one a lot more than my peers. Aroma hints of the vanilla to come. Very dark with a large head. Taste is like a cream soda with malt. I was very impressed. I even let my wife try some.

RblWthACoz (964) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - FEB 5, 2008
Pours dark brown. A thinner crème head doesn’t stick around long. Uneventful nose. Flavor is kind of tangy sweet, but not overpoweringly so. Thin, but good malt character. A bit too much of a sugar edge, but it’s not too bad. Feel is a bit thin on the liquid, but decent still. Minor carbonation. Not too bad a drinker. I could go for more than one, but this might be a good beer to pair with food. I am thinking hot wings or some kind of spicy lamb dish.

MaltOne (371) - Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2008
A specialty beer - Not fair to compare this to a classic Porter - it doesn’t quite fit. Think of a vanilla ice cream float. Think something to serve with an intense chocolate cake. An after dinner drink. Kahlua as a beer. There should be a special category - remember Sam Adams Triple Bock (brewed with maple sugar). Great potential for a chef. Aroma is noticeably vanilla. Appearance - medium molasses color, brief pale head. Definately vanilla with a nice cakey background. Reminds of the classic Guiness chocolate cake. Overall pleasant if your ready for it, but if your expecting a classic Porter....