overall
RATINGS: 1420   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.27/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Who would have thought deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grew the perfect ingredient to build an extraordinary Porter in Colorado? An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure, real vanilla bean. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. A vanilla kiss in a rich, dark sea.

notalush (5985) - Lakewood, Colorado, USA - DEC 11, 2009
Tap at a local restaurant - you pretty much need to love vanilla to like this beer, as it is almost all that I really taste - don’t get me wrong, it compliments the beer’s creamy body, and light hints of roasted malt, but that vanilla is sure potent - some notes of black malt and a hint of maple way in the back - rather full-flavored for a low ABV brew - just soooo much vanilla.

andyhwcinc (1886) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 26, 2009
I thought I was a vanilla fan so I decided to try this brew. It turns out that I’m not THAT much of a vanilla fan. Aroma and taste are overpowered by the vanilla, it’s rather creamy with a roasty malt aftertaste, but the vanilla is a hint too much. It’s not necessarily bad, but I wouldn’t drink more than one or two.

slayer02348 (103) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - DEC 31, 2009
Pours out dark brown bordering on black with a very thin head. Aroma is of chocolate and somewhat roasty. Roasted chocolate taste with a slight vanilla note present in the finish.

bhensonb (16139) - Woodland, California, USA - DEC 31, 2009
Bottle from Archer Liquors. Pours dark brown with a decent light tan head. Aroma of dark toast, but not sure about vanilla. Medium body with sharp, creamy carbonation. Now I’m sure about the vanilla. Pretty present. An interesting variant. Not a style of porter I would chase after.

AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 4, 2003
On tap at Breck brewery in Breck: I think they served it a little too cold off the tap. However, even when I let it warm up substantially the vanilla and typical porter flavors (chocolate, coffee, hops) never really revealed themselves. The color and head were good despite the lack of character in flavor and palate.

Silphium (3269) - Traverse City, Michigan, USA - MAR 30, 2006
Dark brown body, thin light tan head. Roasted malt aroma with strong vanillin. Strong artificial vanilla flavor which I liken to the creme filling in Cadbury eggs. I love Cadbury eggs, but I’m not exactly blown away by that flavor in a beer. Otherwise chocolatey. Still, a pretty good sipper.

entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 14, 2006
The vanilla presence was artificial and slightly cloying in this rendition of a porter. Roast and char notes, although present were not enough to make up for the one dimesional flavor.

Zinister (1423) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAY 19, 2006
Dark cola color. Virtually no head. Nose of Vanilla, of course, and a little malt. Great dark vanilla mouth feel. Creamy and lingering. Solid, but I’ve had much better.

KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - MAY 22, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2007 Tap at Flying Saucer, Houston

Pours rich and black with a nice aroma of vanilla, cinammon and chocolate. Flavor follows suit, with hints of hazlenut. Palate is a tad watery. Very enjoyable and approachable.

Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - JUL 5, 2006
Bottle shared with Hogtown Harry and Beigaman, Harry’s bottle. Pitch black with red hues, small bubble brownish head. Wow, very strong vanilla aroma - but not real vanilla, more like a vanilla candy. Lots of hard candy, sugar, in this aroma, which I liked. Taste has a decent porter base, but then the artificial candy vanilla comes in and dominates. I thought it was neat at first and then a bit annoying and then by the end almost undrinkable - tough one to call really. Watery. A fun beer that I appreciated, I just might not have one again.