Brewaucracy
Brewed at Shunters Yard Brewery

Style: Porter
Matangi, New Zealand

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.38/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Bean counter is a perfectly balanced and traditional English Porter, "completely ruined" by the addition of Tahitian vanilla!
While our traditionalist friends cringe, we celebrate the way the vanilla gently binds the chocolate and espresso notes present in the base beer and adds a warm creamy note. Think a coffee laced creme brulee, and you won’t be far off. The vanilla is subtle though, we didn’t want to offend those traditionalist mates of ours too much after all! It’s there to bring out the underlying flavours of the beer, and complement them with subtlety.
It’s not supposed to be a vanilla bomb. We’re sure you’ll get it once you try it!

Most RecentTicked By

tombutlin (316) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - MAR 16, 2016
2 very dominant features. Firstly the vanilla is very noticeable, but fortunately not overpowering. Secondly this seems a bit thin and hollow. It was quite refreshing, but it just needs to do a few more push ups.

Pdubyah (761) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - AUG 13, 2015
Feels like I’m late to party. What a delicate and delectable aroma of vanilla this carries, but then I also got decadent milk chocolate and then some milky coffee too, I was all over the place. At 5% ABV this is easily drinkable for a few, but it lacks a bit of mid drink oomph to really lift it.

GlassBrass440 (321) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - AUG 12, 2015
Pours an ink black with shy brown head. Soft vanilla and floral notes on the nose, along with milk chocolate, and a light earthiness. The vanilla is apparent but not unbalanced. Flavour brings a slightly jarring sourness up front that while not an infection, doesn’t quite reach fruit-like before fading to a more traditional roastyness. Vanilla isn’t as apparent in the flavour and comes across more like cheap extract than vanilla bean. The sour notes give a thin impression at first that fills out to be more full bodied later.

DylansDad (652) - North Shore, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - JUL 23, 2015
3 years after Jim the Chap’s rating, this beer has grown up a bit. It’s now 5% instead of 4.5%. The aroma is gorgeous: dusty cocoa and milk chocolate powder floating on a breeze of espresso. See what I did there? Got all wanky, that’s what. The body is a bit light and hollow, though and, although I’ve had many a delicious vanilla porter/stout, here the vanilla serves to lighten an already light load. My wife loved it.

Jimthechap (2064) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - APR 12, 2012
I had the distinct pleasure of having a pint of this beer this evening. Indeed, myself and my off-sider were pleasantly surprised by a nice nutty, vanilla aroma that carried chocolate, some coffee and vanilla again through the palate. Not the most handsome brew to look at as it seemed dark, cold and had very little head (had off tap at Pomeroy’s). For a beer that carried an unusual flavour this was remarkably sessionable and we went for seconds quite readily. Mention is made in the preamble of milk chocolate and it was definitely there, but once the big, desserty biscuity flavours mellowed the beer still carried enough flavour mid-pint to make the beer remarkable. One I will definitely return to. Thoroughly enjoyable.