overall
Brewed by BrewDog
Style: Imperial IPA
Ellon, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

RATINGS: 461   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.37/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 1230   ABV: 41%
Sink the Bismarck! is beer, amplified. With the volume turned full up, it is important you that you be careful with this beer and show it the same amount of sceptical, tentative respect you would show an international chess superstar, clown or gypsy. Sink the Bismarck is a quadruple IPA that contains four times the hops, four times the bitterness and frozen four times to create at a staggering 41% ABV. This is IPA amplified, the most evocative style of the craft beer resistance with the volume cranked off the scale. Kettle hopped, dry hopped then freeze hopped for a deep fruit, resinous and spicy aroma. A full out attack on your taste-buds ensues as the incredibly smooth liquid delivers a crescendo of malt, sweet honey, hop oils and a torpedo of hop bitterness which lasts and lasts.

Rob_D_UK (1369) - Madrid, SPAIN - MAY 11, 2013
Clear amber - no head. High hoppy, resin, citrus, grape fruity, caramel, light nutty, light malty sweetness, high alcoholic, acetone, sharpness, chlorid, swømmehal, unbalanced.

1.1
EricE (1367) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 5, 2011
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2011 Hazy orange red pour. This stuff burns like hell but i’ve had worse. Intense malty aroma. Lots of caramel and of course tons of alcohol. Lots of sugar. Really just syrup and alcohol. Some grain and alcohol, but really nothing but sugar and booze. I had about a 1.5 oz pour and I could barely finish it.

dantheman278 (1361) - SCOTLAND - FEB 27, 2011
Smells cheesy and boozy, some sort of sweet syrup too. Thick texture with sharp liqueur. Some musky funk with a strong alcohol burn and, incredibly, a hoppy aftertaste. Well-crafted and incredible, but not exactly... nice.

onystrom (1333) - Magellan Hunter! - Skanderborg, DENMARK - MAY 9, 2010
Copenhagen BeerFestival 2010. Clear amber colour with small head. Super strong sweet licorice flavour. Hoppy too.

brystmar (1314) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUL 13, 2013
Thanks Fern! Smells like petroleum, tastes not bad honestly. Kinda sweet before booze overwhelms. Caramel up front, hints of Utopias-esque notes for an instant, then turns to fire as it descends. Much better than expected, especially given my experience with Tactical Nuclear Penguin, but Utopias blows it away.

bax (1311) - Hasselager, Aarhus, DENMARK - FEB 22, 2014
(bottle 22 /02-2014) no head, clear amber color, intense hoppy aroma, very bitter but still drinkable, intense hoppy taste. Extreme beer but still a beer. Batch #917, BB date 28-09-17.

TychoJames (1311) - Örebro, SWEDEN - NOV 28, 2015
Provsmakning örebro ölmässa. Bärnstensfärgad. Spritig doft. Känner bara i ångorna. Knäck, russin och malt. Söt och soritig smak. Sirap knäck malt

bobinlondon (1295) - Harrow, Greater London, ENGLAND - FEB 21, 2010
Now, there I was, strolling through Southwark, late on Friday night, when I chanced upon a large gathering of ’street community’ types, loitering and merrily drunk on the fringe of Borough Market. I was rather surprised to encounter an unsavoury crowd like this, in such an upmarket area, but on closer inspection it seemed that they were using a door adjacent to a public house to gain access to what I assumed to be some kind of soup kitchen. Being extremely cold and hungry myself, I saw no harm in joining the queue to this admirably charitable venture. Once through the door and up a steep flight of stairs, I was greeted by a jovial but rather intoxicated Scot, proudly sporting a blue tartan shirt. To my horror, he produced a drinks tray filled with small measures of what appeared to be some form of spirit! Then, in a broad Glaswegian accent (so prevalent amongst these types) he started some inane gibber about how the Bismarck was sunk by nuclear penguins (or words to that effect). I thought it best to humour him and accepted the drink, but beat a hasty retreat when he then started ranting something about enjoying his latest Hardcore release! Once safely outside again, I rather enjoyed the drink that he had given me. It was certainly a warming beverage and quite unlike anything that I have previously tried. It had elements of both beer and spirits but it’s rather oily, almost medicinal quality drew me to the conclusion that it must have been something along the lines of a Methadone type treatment for alcoholics. What I had witnessed was obviously a pilot scheme, as a camera man later appeared and proceeded to interview some of the red nosed guinea pigs. Word on the Street was that this drink is currently changing hands at about £40 for a small bottle! Delicious as it may be, I for one, will be waiting until it is available on the NHS. Ok, the above may have been what I told my wife, but in reality, contrary to my honest expectations, Sink THe Bismarck is certainly no joke (or gimmick). My main reason for visiting the Rake on Friday was to try the latest batch of Hardcore IPA and catch up on RB banter. I wasn’t expecting to particularly enjoy an "Uber Eis Viermal Indische Helles Altbier" but was nevertheless curious to try some. THANK GOD I DID! I’ll leave it to the experts for more eloquent descriptions of what an incredible achievement this beer represents. Yes, it definitely IS beer. An incredibly concentrated one, but with sublime balance and depth. A small sip of this from a hip flask would leave you with the lasting hop aftertaste of several pints good IPA. A tiny drop of it on your pillow would surely promote the sweetest dreams. I am a little sceptical about the alleged strength and am keen to hear if anyone has tested it’s flammability yet!. It’s very difficult to rate as I am not aware of anything remotely comparable. If dispensed quickly from a syringe into the glass to create a head, it could well stretch to a perfect 5! Head apart, all that it needs is another, less daft name. Something more snappy and a little less likely to hinder certain export markets.. Brauhund Uberhopfenblitzkriegbier for example?

Cirrhosis (1283) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 19, 2013
It is time......... To Sink the Bismark..... time to get wasted. Glowing brown hints of orange no cap are we suprised? Aroma is awsome so strong..... toffee, soya, nostrils are burning in a good way. This beer leaves massive legs. Wow what did I taste. Big hot flavour. Hops maybe but not really. Big malt carmel, I can taste alcholol but really are we suprised. This way better then expected, its drinkable. Soya burnt sugar, warmth. IIPA no....... big massive barly wine yes. I like this alot.

Maarten1993 (1279) - Nijmegen, NETHERLANDS - APR 12, 2017
Drank 28-3 @Majid the night before going to Struise. Very special. Very, very sweet start. Then some metally liquorice. Not really beer anymore. But very rich taste.