overall
Brewed by BrewDog
Style: Imperial IPA
Ellon, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

RATINGS: 461   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.37/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 1230   ABV: 41%
Sink the Bismarck! is beer, amplified. With the volume turned full up, it is important you that you be careful with this beer and show it the same amount of sceptical, tentative respect you would show an international chess superstar, clown or gypsy. Sink the Bismarck is a quadruple IPA that contains four times the hops, four times the bitterness and frozen four times to create at a staggering 41% ABV. This is IPA amplified, the most evocative style of the craft beer resistance with the volume cranked off the scale. Kettle hopped, dry hopped then freeze hopped for a deep fruit, resinous and spicy aroma. A full out attack on your taste-buds ensues as the incredibly smooth liquid delivers a crescendo of malt, sweet honey, hop oils and a torpedo of hop bitterness which lasts and lasts.

jesperhammer (4735) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 8, 2010
07-MAY-2010, @Beerfestival.dk. Wouw, this is alchohol. Bitter, and not just from the hops, but also from the alcohol. This is not beer. The TNP was (not being scientific here). I liked the TNP a lot, and I had hoped for something fantastic since I am an IPA guy. But dissappointed. Too sweet, too strong. BUT brewdog - I am with you all the way:)

madsberg (11770) - Søborg, DENMARK - MAY 11, 2010
Bottled. Orange/amber coloured. No head to talk about. Sweetness, spice, alcohol, herbs and flowers in the aroma. Flavour dominated by alcohol, herbs, cloying sweetness and some liqourice. Medium to full bodied. Heavily burning alcohol totally domintates the end. Not my thing. Thx. yespr for sharing.

bu11zeye (13029) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - SEP 6, 2010
(Bottle, ericandersnavy) Pours a deep amber-ruby body with excellent legs. Aroma of caramel, grapefruit, bread, earth, grass, and alcohol. Flavor of pine, alcohol, and resin with dry, extremely bitter finish.

decaturstevo (6244) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - NOV 15, 2010
Gold/amber pour with white head and lace. Resiny hops and abv and a paint thinner kicker. Harsh like eating orange and lemon zest combined with pga and a chemical flavor and some sweet.

Rune (12741) - Tromsø, NORWAY - NOV 16, 2010
Not exactly pretty to look at with its cloudy, almost muddy, apricot coloured body under film-like layer. Hoppy aroma with a solid punch of alcohol. Taste of orange and apricot with strong but surprisingly well integrated alcohol. Bittersweet fruity ending with alcohol sharpness. Good for late night sipping. (Ølbutikkens smagning at Ørsted Ølbar, 06.11.2010)

Rciesla (5499) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - DEC 10, 2010
Bottle, that i somehow talked Andy into slamming with me, ah good times. Pours a reddish amber body with a scant head. Wow big vodka like warming blowing off the glass, i think it was displacing air around it. Cool there’s some fresh hop tones here, green hop leafs, grassy note, maybe a touch of pine. I say maybe only because the etoh so massive its difficult to discern other flavors. A nice novelty, and happy i had the pleasure of sharing.

jsquire (4489) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - DEC 18, 2010
I was able to try this monster thanks to a hand bottled sample from cgarvieuk. Clear amber color with no real carbonation, which I attribute to the vessel in which I received this. The aroma on this thing is intense, with lots of hairspray, peach schnapps, condensed grapefruit rind and a menacing hop resin alcohol. This first sip is really disorienting. This beer burns like Scotch. It is like hop brandy. Really intense peach, grapefruit, hop resin, honey, and oh so much alcohol flavors. There is something almost celery like in the back. I think my tongue is swelling. This is like drinking purfume. This is an odd drinking experience...

BoBoChamp (5755) - Gent, BELGIUM - APR 25, 2010
33cl (5cl sample), Batch 2, new exclusive Scottish brew Anno 2010, from Bier-winkel Oudehaske, complex bitter brew/spirit, but too heavy, not balanced, clear, nearly no head, nice brew, yet very original brew!, but way too expensive, WOW!

sfhodense (4789) - Odense NØ, DENMARK - JUN 9, 2010
Pours amber with a beige head. Aroma is high concentrated hop, heavy alcohol, caramel, citrus, pine and grapefruit. Flavour is extreme burning alcohol, heavy hop, grapefruit and citrus.

popery (2170) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 22, 2010
This was interesting and I’m grateful for having the opportunity to try it, but I can’t say that I particularly enjoyed the experience. I will note that, despite my expectations, Sink The Bismarck! was the clear winner over Tactical Nuclear Penguin. However, it was still just a novelty, rather than an enjoyable beverage. The beer pours a deep amber with great highlights, and it’s got good legs, for what it’s worth. It looks like whiskey, really. The aroma is exceedingly strong and hoppy. It’s one of the strongest hop aromas that I’ve ever encountered, and that’s kinda neat. However, it’s a hop aroma that lacks all delicacy and depth. It’s mostly turpentine and booze. I was quite interested by the aroma, initially, but after my shock at the strength of it wore off, it was actually a bit disappointing. It’s all candied, paint thinner hops, citric with some soapy floral notes. There’s a ton of spicy pepper in the aroma as well and, of course, lots of alcohol heat. I got an even bigger dose of booze on the palate, though not as bad as TNP. Mouthfeel is quite rough, like a bizarrely dirty whiskey. In some ways, though more enjoyable, this beer struck me as even more of a gimmick than TNP. The hops are indelicate in the extreme and seem to cover up the beer’s faults more than they add to its quality. Plus, the beer had that unpleasant acrid flavor also present in TNP. I appreciate the effort, I appreciate the experimentation, but I don’t much like the beer.