overall
RATINGS: 153   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 338   ABV: 11.25%
Our biggest beer by far, Old No. 23 revives an English farmhouse brewery tradition of making a strong ale to set aside for special occasions. Our version, while tedious and time-consuming to brew, rewards the connoisseur with an ale that has the depth and complexity of a good brandy or single malt scotch. Massive quantities of malt and hops, a long aging time and limited availability make this a special ale worthy of its reputation.

fly (1486) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - AUG 10, 2003
This takes me back to the amount one uses for rating. Had it the other day at a tasting and thought it was "just good". This time I had an entire bottle (12 oz.) and really, really enjoyed it. From the same friend and trip, so I imagine it is the same age. Bottle has four years written on one edge, but I couldn't detect a marking that idicated which year - ?? Not that it matters other than thinking at the tasting it was more hop dominate and this time that it was just fabulous in being so rich and ful and malty and NOT too sweet or excesively hoppy. Okay, if it DID have just a teensy bit more bitterness I sure wouldn't complain, but don't want to suggest messing with what I like. Balanced to my liking. Loads of rich dark fruit. Could drink this one until I pass out, which at 11.25% doesn't seem all that hard.

doubleo (1432) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 27, 2008
12oz bottle. Pours murky looking brown with a thin, offwhite head, specks of lace. Smells big and sweet malty with a bit of alcohol and a hint of spicy hops. Slightly fruity. Tastes big and malty sweet, with some alcohol and a touch of hops. Warming alcohol on the finish. Syrupy body, ok carbonation.

Zinister (1423) - Houston, Texas, USA - DEC 30, 2010
On tap At Euclid Hall in Denver. Pretty standard barley wine. Good hop and malt notes...not too much heat as well, but warming. Good spice character.

DragonStout (1416) - Groveport, Ohio, USA - MAR 9, 2008
Thanx to BFC for this.Poured a nice copper color with a pillowy white head.The nose was toasty and nutty.Lots of malt on the flavor along with nuts, peat with a tone of scotch.it was sweet and not at all hoppy.Well balanced.Thanx Jake for this.

arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 17, 2008
I poured this 2006 bottle into a snifter and was amazed at the color. Ok, maybe not amazed but definitely surprised. It is a dark ruby red and I am used to barleywines being more orange and lighter in color. I guess that shows how much experience I have with barleywines The head was about a 1/2 inch thick and hangs around as it diminishes. The smell is sweet, luscious and inviting with just a hint of alcohol. The flavor is a little subdued and doesn’t do the smell justice. The mouth-feel is nice and I can’t taste or feel the alcohol in my mouth. I had a 2005 about six months ago and I swear it wasn’t this color. This is a pretty decent barleywine and very drinkable but not my favorite. I’ll put the remaining three down in the cellar and check back next year to see if this has improved. -update 11/05/07 this was almost black in appearance, did it get darker with age? Smells like perfumey hops with a little candy sweetness and chocolate showing up. Tastes like strong barleywine and astringent in the mouth but still has a fullness in the mouth. Still pretty tasty but not something I will be building verticals of. I’ll check back on the lone bottle sometime next year. A;4 S:4 T:4 M:3.5 D:3.5 Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 02-16-2007 01:26:22

waolsen (1376) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - FEB 19, 2006
tap. Amber coloring with frothy creamy egg colored head. Oak barrel, port scent. Very smooth taste port, oak, hops. I picked up some orange. Bitter bite with dry aftertaste. Nice beer.

AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUL 26, 2003
Bottle. Amber, dark, small head. Lots of malts, hops, lots of everything! Somewhat sparkly but a little bit bland flavor. Wet cardboard flavor. Thin on the mouthfeel, a bit disappointing in the finish.

potbeerjob (1343) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAY 21, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2012 Bottled. Amber and headless. Aroma is sweet caramel and sticky hop sweetness. Flavor is similar with richer malt presence and booze awesome and everywhere with also great sticky bitter hop presence.

UncleKorm (1319) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - DEC 15, 2012
On tap from brewery poured a clear amber hue w/ small mostly diminishing tan head. Big malty sweet aroma of dark fruit. Initial flavor is moderate sweet and moderate sweet in the finish. Tastes are rum soaked raisins, orange citrus, toffee, plum and brown sugar. Medium to full bodied, soft carbonation, syrupy texture, heavy alcoholic warmth in the mouthfeel.

JCW (1278) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 26, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2007 This a barleywine that I could drink a few of, but is too sweet and characterless to drink many of. Most barleywines are too sweet for me, but I can drink them because of the hops or a distinctive flavor of the malts. This one is fig type sweet, but not that distinctive. I like it, I think it will age well, but for now, its a pretty good barleywine. Thanks go to Crosling for this one.