overall

RATINGS: 3282   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 51   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
This is the famous Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, our award-winning rendition of the Imperial Stout style once made exclusively for Catherine the Great. We use three mashes to brew each batch of this beer, achieving a luscious deep dark chocolate flavor through a blend of specialty roasted malts. We brew it every year for the winter season. It is delicious when newly bottled, but also ages beautifully for years.

bridge (659) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - AUG 16, 2006
This looked pretty good - a deep jet black with a tight, short, macchiato head. Strong sweet licorice bullet aroma with some alcohol definitely present. On tasting the alcohol burns a bit up the nose. Long and lasting bitterness from some dry roasted malt. A lot of presence in the mouth, but still the alcohol dominates. Reminds me of some licorice parfait that my wife made me for my birthday in fact. This was very satisfying, especially after a couple of ordinary ones earlier in the night. (Thanks to highlandlad)

molassesfan (202) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - AUG 13, 2006
Bottle from Winter ’05-’06. Pours black with a finger-thick brown head. Aroma of chocolate, caramel, coffee, and roasted malt with some faint elderberry? Nice. Tastes of chocolate, coffee, and alcohol. Thick legs and palate. 8.7% alcohol shows just as much as it should. Wonderful. At $1.70 for a 12 oz. bottle, I may have to buy these out.

tromboneman (17) - USA - AUG 12, 2006
So rich and creamy.... It melts in my mouth. This is truly my favorite of chocolate stouts.

decaturstevo (6339) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - AUG 12, 2006
An almost black pour with a brown head. A huge aroma of chocomaltiness and alcohol. A smooth chocolate flavor with an alcohol kicker. I love a beer that you can taste alcohol in when it’s not the only thing you taste. This baby has a bitter from the malt bill that I really like. An excellent beer. I’ve had it for a month in the refrig. shame on me.

fonefan (49997) - VestJylland, DENMARK - AUG 12, 2006
Bottle. Black oily colour, with a tan creamy foam. Aroma of dark chocolate, and lots of bitternes in the end. Have a nice sweet/bitter mouth feeling, with a lot of dark chocolate. Nice round bitter finish.

skibumphishead (259) - Massachusetts, USA - AUG 8, 2006
12oz bottle. chocolate/brandy aroma... the mouthfeel is very thick and rich... flavors include chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and faint hops...I had the brooklyn brown ale a week ago and now I want to try them all... this one is richer and more complex than other "chocolate stouts" that I have had... yummy

tmad (93) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - AUG 4, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2006 Black brew with light brown head. Strong chocolate stout, roasted sweet chocolate malt, coffee with a hint of dark chocolate . Alcohol content is obvious, this is a remarkably well balanced beer, just the right amount and combination of malt, the flavors are blended to near perfection. This is an excellent beer for the winter, it will warm you up. A new favorite I will definitely buy again....and again.

lordeche (479) - Quincy, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 3, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2008 Pours a gorgeous black color with extremely thin and quickly dissapating brown head. Aroma contains a bit of nuttiness and alcohol but is dominated by the scent of sweet, dark chocolate. Flavor is nice- a bit of chocolate to compliment the intense smokiness of this imperial stout. A little too much alcohol, a little too much residual sugar. Fairly thick mouthfeel, with a bit of stickiness. Overall, however, a good brew.

theshocker (329) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - AUG 3, 2006
This pup is from Winter ’05-’06. Black as night, a small dark tan head forms at the end of the pour and fades quickly. Just the slightest bit of red at the end of the glass, can’t get much darker. Tons of coffee and roast in the nose, but do I detect some hop aroma? I think I do. Still, dominated by dark and malty. The beer is very smooth by now. Chocolate and coffee are the dominant flavors. Some bitterness lingers on the sides of the tongue. Smooth and silky. Like a piece of chocolate cake. I could get back into dark beers.

Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - JUL 29, 2006
Bottle dated Winter ’04-’05. Full and roasty chocolate malt aroma, alcohol presence (almost whisky- like?) with some vanilla notes as it warms. Full- bodied texture with a robust malty backbone. There was also some alcohol warming (but not burning) on the tongue and in the belly. I got the impression that this one was "bigger" than 8.7 percent ABV. I’ll bet it was a roaring lion fresh out of the brewery!