overall

RATINGS: 912   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
We brew our beer in New York, about halfway between the hop fields of the Pacific Northwest and the hop fields of Kent, England. So we use earthy English hops to build the foundation and bright citrusy American hops to bring the noise in the rambunctious IPA we call BLAST! British Maris Otter and German Pilsner malts lends solidity, balance and bready flavors to brace up a beer thats beautifully hoppy, strangely quaffable and oddly compelling. Minerally hop bitterness is followed by a shock wave of flavor and aroma. You wont even know what hit you.

Malts: Scottish Floor-malted Maris Otter, German Pilsner Malt

Hops: Willamette, Magnum, Cascade, Fuggle, Aurora, Zythos, Bravo, Simcoe, Sorachi Ace, Amarillo, Experiment 6300
18.8

BeerFanDan17 (1092) - Brunswick, Maine, USA - OCT 20, 2008
Sampled at St Pete Creative Loafing Beerfest. On draft. Incredible hops balance, crisp and almost spicy. A very well balanced imperial IPA!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
obguthr (5941) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - FEB 28, 2010
Cask: Fantastic fruity nose of apricot, whole grapefruit, strawberry, rosehip. Shimmering amber, thin head. Less complex flavor of grapefruit, flesh then peel, then back to flesh, and ending with a lingering lemon grass. Very well hopped and juicy. Much more hoppy than malty. Alcohol not noticeable. Delicious!

mbpufall (83) - Andover, Minnesota, USA - FEB 19, 2011
On tap at Brooklyn Brewery. If only they bottled this. Poured what appeared to be a bit of a hazy deep gold (again, plastic glass). Glassware had no effect on the great aroma of sweet citrus and grass. Tastes like if I sprinkly sugar on a grapefruit and wait for it to dissolve before eating, mmmmm. Couldve sat there all day for more.

mcrae19 (59) - - FEB 13, 2013
Draft. Served in a snifter. Color is somewhere between a deep golden and an amber. -inch head. Strong citrus aroma (Cascade?) but surprisingly less hoppy in flavor than I expected. (The culprit must be the subdued English hops Brooklyn says they use as the foundation.) Dont get me wrongthis is a fantastic IPA that I would drink again and again. However, with a name like Blast, one would anticipate more of a bite. Instead, the strongest hop flavors are floral, and the malt stands up nicely to them. Almost no bitter aftertaste.

Sad24 (208) - GREAT YARMOUTH, Norfolk, ENGLAND - MAR 8, 2015
Bottle from Trembling Madness....easily the best from Brooklyn brewery. Hoppy, full bodied, citrusy, fruity. Cracking

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
zacgillbanks (4793) - Tyne & Wear, ENGLAND - MAY 15, 2015
Bottle from Rehills, Newcastle. Hazy, pale golden coloured with floral melon and orange flavours, pine and tropical notes followed by a smooth creamy pine and peppery hop finish. Superb!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 22, 2008
So, apparently there has been this little thing known as a hop shortage over the last few years. Has the price of hops gone up? Yes. Has the cost of beers gone up? Yes. It has also though inspired creativity amongst various brewers and breweries in terms of growing their own hops, and so forth. All in all, what it boils down to is that no matter the hurdle, obstacle, or difficulty that may come along, American craft brewers are resourceful and very community oriented. It is definitely all for one and one for all because, in the end, we are all just beer geeks who love beer. Not one to fall behind, and a brewery which brews great beers and also has a love for hops, Brooklyn Brewery released a very limited keg only release of an Imperial IPA called BLAST! And I was lucky enough to acquire a fresh growler of it. Suffice to say, the growler didn’t last long.
Freshly pulled from the keg at a local beerfest, my BLAST! Opened with a pop and immediately fresh oily sweet and piney hops wafted up to my nose while I poured myself a glass. From the growler to the glass, it was a veritable party of fresh hop aromas. Wet and oily, sappy and piney. I would have to say that my favorite hops and hop profile are those which immediately transport me to the middle of a dew-laden forest full of lush pine trees and all the aromas which surround me. Not to be outdone by her nose, a fluffy orange head tops off her haystack and orange colored body, fading slowly and leaving little trails of brussels lace along the way. Pausing to take in her beauty, I raise my glass to my lips and enjoy a quaff, and then two. Her body coats my mouth with rich freshly squeezed oranges which are immediately followed up by wet pine sap, pine needles and an oily viscous texture which is clean, not gritty. My BLAST! has a clean finish which only faintly dries the palate, though the succulent nature of her palate is more than enough reason to go back for more. I happily oblige, and my growler of BLAST from Brooklyn Brewery very quickly diminishes into nothingness.
A very straightforward and exquisitely balanced Imperial IPA from Brooklyn. It is a shame that it was a limited keg release because I would love to have more. She was very straightforward and wore her palate and nose well with what is my favorite hop profile - pine, sap, hop oils, and a hint of citric sweetness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ethereal (2421) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JUL 10, 2010
On tap at the White Horse American Beer Festival, 4th July 2010. Slightly hazy bright amber with a hint of a head. Nose of orange peel with a hint of vanilla. Bitingly refreshing on the sip without being too bitter. Light golden syrup flavour to the malt combines wonderfully with great citrus flavours the hops are delivering. Divine. Spot-on weight, great condition. Very little hint of the strength. Its like painting your mouth with sunshine. My beer of the festival.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Tobiasbq (10) - BRAZIL - JAN 11, 2015
Lpulo bem floral, cor ambar, corpo persistente, amargor na medida e final marcante. Recomendo

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Salwal (411) - GERMANY - APR 10, 2015
Very nice unfiltered amber color. Nose of citrus and wild flowers with hints of barley. As you would stay at the edge of a summerly field. Taste is bitter and long citric finish. One of the better beers I had...