overall
RATINGS: 2495   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.44/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Brooklyn Lager, the Brewery's flagship label, is New York's "hometown" beer, brewed to a pre-Prohibition recipe that dates back to the days when Brooklyn was the brewing capital of the East Coast. Brooklyn Lager has won numerous awards. Wrote Michael Jackson in the Simon & Schuster Pocket Guide to Beer: "The dry-hopped, fresh, flowery, firm, flavourful, Brooklyn Lager **-*** started well, in 1988, and has gained in character since."

JohnBarleycorn (537) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 23, 2007
Bottle. Dark amber appearance is remarkably dark for a lager. Generous floral/hop aroma with a gooey drop of golden syrup. Good hop bitterness clings throughout the flavour cycle, generating excellent length. Rich palate. Further sips reveal wood and floral characteristics. A full-flavoured lager that deserves the pedestal it sits on.

Maverick34 (3239) - New York, USA - JUN 23, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2014 Ive had a love hate realationship with Brooklyn lager. At first I really disliked this beer, too heavy and always just sits in my stomach. Now I’ve arrived at a detente, it’s ok, will drink if necessary.

wingman333 (333) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - JUN 22, 2007
Draft...amber in color, strong hop taste, white head, this is one of Brooklyn’s best in my opinion. And a lager, no less.

BeerBiker (1415) - Odense, DENMARK - JUN 21, 2007
[Sampled in 2005.] Maybe not the best from Brooklyn, but I could give it another chance. Boring and unbalanced. Watery!

dmac (6264) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - JUN 18, 2007
12 oz bottle. Poured a clear orangey/copper with a small white frothy head and some nice visible carbonation. Aroma was malt dominant and slightly sweet with some earth notes of grass and dirt. Flavor was refreshing and smooth with some floral hops notes, a little sweetness and a malty aftertaste that lingered nicely. As far as lagers go this is one pretty darn good beer.

Theis (15152) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - JUN 18, 2007
Bottle at Dæmningen. Clear dark amber - white head. Aroma: Citrus hoppy, light grape, light malty. Taste: Citrus hoppy, light grape, citrus zest, light malty, caramel, sweetness, resin. Bitter finish !!

nick76 (4399) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUN 16, 2007
The aroma is actually hopped, thank you Brooklyn. It’s also got some biscuit/bread like yeast and malt. The appearance is amber/gold with a medium head and nice lace. The flavor is like the aroma with an assertive, bitter (tinny and grassy) taste to go along with the bread malts and a slight bit of paper. The palate is as smooth as any I have had from a lager. The finish is somewhat dry and buttery. As lagers go this one is pretty darn good.

Fin (10541) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - JUN 15, 2007
Bottle from Tesco 14-06-07. Great perky hoppy nose to this, I wouldn’t know how it looked because rather shockinlgy I was that thirsty I decided to just drink this from the bottle (shame on me) It tasted very good though and despite the hoppy nose, this wasn’t as hoppy or as bitter as I anticipated in fact I felt that it had rather a nice layer of honeylike sweetness to temper the bitterness and there was plenty of flavours going on in there but my gulping greedyness probably didn’t do it quite the justice it deserved still it was very nice.

LearninBeer (598) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - JUN 12, 2007
The aroma is hops and a light pine and slight citrus smell. The head is creamy, off white with excellent lacing. The body is a slight cloudy and golden in color. The initial flavor is mild bitter with a nice bitter finish. The body is light to medium, the texture kinda creamy and the carbonation soft.

Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - JUN 11, 2007
Bottle, Tesco. I’ve walked past this dozens of times, thinking it was going to be just another of the boring American lagers that seem to be the main representatives of the US beer scene in England. So finally when this went on sale I thought I’d give it a shot, and wow--this is great stuff!

Copper pour, nice layer of snowy white. Heavy herbal perfume, pollen, fading roses; the charming smell of classy old ladies. Full herbal hop bitterness. Shockingly hoppy actually--the hoppiest thing I’ve had in at least a month. (Part of the sensation is probably that I’m not used to this sort of hop flavors being used prominently.) Carmelly sweetness very tied in with the particular quality of the hop flavor. Chewy hop finish. A really pleasant surprise. Joins SNPA in my own little pantheon of respectable, full-flavored American brews available across the pond. And now, I’m off to clean my local Tescos out while it’s still on sale...