overall
Formerly brewed at Brooklyn Brewery
Style: Barley Wine
Brooklyn, New York USA

RATINGS: 1568   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 324   ABV: 10.8%
Brooklyn Monster Ale is a classic barley wine, a style of ale originally brewed by the butlers to the English and American aristocracy. It is brewed from three mashes of heirloom British malt and spiced with aromatic American Willamette, Cascade and Fuggle hops.

After four months of aging, it has a magnificent burnished copper color, an aroma redolent of sherry, citrusy hops and fruit, a soft, warming, complex palate, a spiritous finish, and a strength of 10.8%.

It is vivacious when young, but will age gracefully for many years, becoming more complex over time.

Food Matches

Brooklyn Monster Ale is a fine accompaniment to cheeses, ice cream, flourless cakes, crème brulee and good cigars.

JPDIPSO (6286) - Wauwatosa, USA - NOV 29, 2004
Born in 2003. Dark copper/cherry color with a lid of ecru bubbles which cling to the side of the glass then imbibed upon. Deep rich caramel, some mild floral and caskwood (sherry and apple brandy) aromas, but really rather thin. Quite a bit of tingling effervescence for this style. Some sherry and tawny port flavors. Really rather dry. I catch some cherry cola that distracts significantly for me, because now every sip I think about it, and it annoys me more. This does leave again as it warms, but then it seems to tin out and be a little more simple. I must say the 11% is not tasted, but I do seem to feel warmer. Decent effort.

Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - NOV 12, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 29, 2004 Pours a dark red with a small but staing vanilly colored head. Aroma of grapes, lemon and oak tones. Flavor is tones of fruit, and wood with alcohol and hops dominant in the flavor. Warming and strong. Thanks to IMtheOptimater

jsquire (4599) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - OCT 27, 2004
2003 bottle. This poured a pretty copper color out of the bottle with only a minimal off-white whispy head that left a lasting ring. Nice nose that reminded me of green caramel apples, cider and aquanet. Toffee sweetness and fruity flavors that leaned toward apple with some evergreen bitterness in the finish. I also got a noticable alcohol burn as it warmed up. Not enough of any of it to make an outstanding barley wine, but stll an okay beer.

grat (432) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 18, 2004
Interesting barleywine. Zero head, treacly bubbles. Only a slight caramel, more like a brown ale but for the viscosity. Delicate candy floss aroma. Like a clowns breath. Hop presence is neutral. Very English. Smells like something ridiculously English. Maybe it’s the Maris Otter? Don’t know. No alcohol in the nose. Sherry does dominate. Alcohol not immediatley present due to the sweetness but then it peers over the intense wall of malt and looks you straight in the mouth. Honestly I like this. Tastes like a "session barleywine". Of course the alcohol would prove otherwsie. Slightly salty, mostly delicate. G-rat

cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - OCT 16, 2004
10/2/04. On draft at GABF ’04 in Denver, CO 10/2/04. Pretty nice-looking, dark caramel-copper color but with almost no head at all. I shook this damn beer in my glass for like two minutes and could barely get anything on top. Nose has a brown sugary sweetness with some some fruity alcohol. Taste has way too much apparent alcohol for my liking, and althogh I'm curious about how it will mellow with some time, I'm not sure there's enough else going on here to make me stand up and take notice. Sort of a plain butterscotch and fruitcake taste, not typical flavors I go for in a barley wine. Palate is too hot, and the finish is very straightforward and surprisingly short. It's not horrible, but it's not really anything to get excited about. Give me more caramel and more malt richness to mask some of that alcohol, and then maybe I'll try it again.

Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 15, 2004
Burgundy. Soft, delicate aroma of sweet deep malt, brown sugar, dark fruits, sherry, raisins, plums, along with some slightly medicinal and hop fragrances. As a brewer I think it is much more difficult to brew an English style barley wine compared to an American Barley wine. That being said, as an English barley wine, I think this is brewed fantastically well. Fruity, deep and malty flavor. Chewy. Notes of raisins, sherry, brandy and caramel. Fairly sweet and one dimensional with a pretty thin body.

beastdog75 (364) - Brick, New Jersey, USA - SEP 28, 2004
2003 Edition. This was a little too alcoholic for my liking. Nice copper/dark amber color. Some caramel malts and citric/piney hops were detectable, but the big solvent taste got in the way. This probably needs to lay down for awhile.

Goblincat (399) - Petersburg, Michigan, USA - SEP 12, 2004
Pours deep copper with a thin tan head. Nose is malty, sweet, and molasses. Taste is strong with alcohol, some malt, plum, fruit, sweet, and a touch of pepper.

FlacoAlto (4220) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 11, 2004
2003 Vintage, Sampled September 2004.
This beer pours a brilliantly clear deep copper-red color. It is fairly well carbonated and forms thin amber colored head when roused. The aromas are heady and sweet with malts, when I go in for a deeper smell I get notes of caramel, alcohol, sherry, candied fruit, and a hop aroma that is definitely there, but not quite distinguishable from the fruit notes. The beer is full bodied richly, though not overly, sweet and finishes with a twang of hoppiness. There is a nice lingering bitterness from the hops in the finish as well, it really helps to balance out the rich sweet malt and fruit notes that are up front. From the taste of this beer I get notes of Maraschino Cherries, sherry, biscuits, a hint of orange, brandy soaked fruit-cake, and a hint of hot alcohol in the finish.

This beer is actually growing on me with time, at first I though it was obviously well crafted but lacking, but the more I sit and contemplate this beer the more I come to enjoy it. It is not too heavy to finish the 12oz bottle, and the balance between the sweet malt up front and the interesting twangy hop flavor and bitterness in the finish really goes a long way to make this beer quite enjoyable. The hop flavor in the finish really helps to accentuate the fruit and sherry notes of this beer.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 5, 2004
I loves me a nice barleywine, and Brooklyn calls theirs a "monster", do they? Well, let’s have at it, already! Appearance: coppery color, with a short-lived head...so far, "eh"... Aroma: now, we’re cookin’! Sweetness incarnate, redolent of a full orchard of fruits, burnished and converted to a proper cognac-y character. Alcohol is huge here, with cherries, brandy, leather, fire, tobacco, smoke, all pitching suggestions into this bonfire...this is the type of beer that makes me pity wine drinkers...is there an aroma as rich and full and fine as this to be found in a bottle of vino? A very bewitching aroma! Thick texture, syrupy mouthfeel, lip-smackin’, delicious, and packin’ heat! Lush, full malt, low hops, but thoroughly intoxicating...screw your Manhattans, your Hennessys, your Flavor-of-the-Month-Martinis, put your lips to a barleywine such as this for a full, boozy sensation! A benign Monster, this, powerful, but not vicious, stinging, but without malice, prodigious, but never punishing, with a long, near-lethal finsh.... A damned fine barleywine.