overall

RATINGS: 793   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.68/5   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Carefully brewed with barley from America’s heartland and cascade hops from the pacific northwest, this rich, amber colored ale has robust flavor and a distinctive hoppy finish.

robsohoppy (16) - California, USA - JAN 25, 2010
If you did not know it was bud you would not hate it. A decent balance of malt to hops with an acceptable finish. I noticed it is climbing in price compared to when it first came out. I have had it on tap, 12oz and pint size and the taste has been consistant. It is hard to buy from AB when there are so many small breweries that need support. If you are looking to save a buck give it a try.If your expecting a multi layer taste experiance its not going to happen, but overall not bad.

hanihotdog (14) - blah, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 9, 2008
first i poured it, then i smelled it, then i tasted it... then i went from midnight to 6. this beer has a nice color, and smell, and a malty/toffee flavor. This was one of the worst ales i have ever had, but probably like you, i just had to buy it and find out for myself. I would not pay 25 bucks for a case of this p.o.s. ever again. If you buy it, i would recomend drinking it really really fast! it tastes better that way!

sjmiller05 (14) - Colorado, USA - OCT 25, 2009
The American Ale is not bad; however, it is not all that great, but I do enjoy this beer once and a while depending on my mood. The beer is somewhat hoppy, good color and a tad under rated due to the Anheuser name, I would assume.

sixfootsix (13) - Franklin, Tennessee, USA - JAN 16, 2009
This is a good beer for people who are moving up from a light beer. Amber color with white head nice amount of hops for what it is. i am glad they came out with this beer to help bring people to respecting better beers.

hokieipa (13) - Virginia, USA - MAR 23, 2009
12 oz. bottle. Amber color, does not have the distinctive hoppy finish that it claims, not much of an aroma, poor finish.

Rutkiller (12) - USA - MAR 24, 2009
12 oz bottle. Amber/red color with a one finger head. Feels thin in the mouth. Average all around.

_Z_ (12) - Alabama, USA - JAN 16, 2011
I give this one points for being much better than anything you can find at the corner store. The price is only slightly more than regular Bud (the last time I ever drank it, and ever will, it kept me up all night vomiting- seriously!), yet is actually drinkable. However, for about the same price, there are much, much better beers sitting right next to it on the shelf. It is pretty simple, mildly bitter, no skunk flavor and nothing too complicated. Perfect a beer noob, like me, although more experienced drinkers probably wouldn’t appreciate it as much.

aschafer324 (12) - , Wisconsin, USA - OCT 6, 2008
Pours a nice amber color with a medium creamy head that quickly dissipates. Mild aroma, slightly sweet and a little dusty. Flavor is malty with vanilla notes and finishes with the slightest hint of hops. Mouthfeel and flavor are both on the watery side. Not bad but I’d take Sam Adam’s or even Killian’s at this price point.

1.1
Whiskeyjack (10) - , Massachusetts, USA - OCT 4, 2008
Pours amber in color with a negligible head. Faint hop aroma. Unbalanced bitterness with an unpleasant sour aftertaste at the back of one’s throat. I had high hopes for this beer and what I found was a pale copy of a Sam Adams.