Budweiser Brew Masters Private Reserve

overall

RATINGS: 216   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.56/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Brew Masters’ Private Reserve is an exceptionally rich beer that is a symphony of character, featuring a balanced hop aroma with 8.5 percent alcohol by volume (ABV). Based on the time-honored Budweiser brewmaster holiday tradition of collecting the richest first part of the brew as it is tapped to the brew kettles to celebrate the season, this is the first time it is being made available to the public.

luckygirl (1222) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 9, 2006
Had this at Vail Beer Fest. 2-oz. sample into a snifter. The pours a clear, light-gold color with a small, frothy, white, mostly-diminishing head. The aroma is faint: lightly malty with toasted grain, light hoppy notes of resin / pine and a light miscellaneous note of banana and straw. The flavor begins moderately sweet with a long, heavily bitter finish with an unclean flavor. The body is light, the texture is wastery and the finish is heavily astringent. :P Thank goodness they had bread close by.

Ernest (7815) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 8, 2006
Bottle, Vail Beer Fest. Head is initially small, fizzy, white, fully diminishing. Body is clear medium yellow. Aroma is moderately malty (grain), with strong notes of DMS and alcohol. Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, lightly to moderately bitter, husky, unclean. Medium body, watery texture, fizzy/lively carbonation, lightly alcoholic. I must say I had higher hopes (laugh if you will), but when I smelled the glass all I was confronted with was the usual riff-raff of a malt liquor (hell, I didn’t even know we had it classified here as such when I was sampling it). Whereas the Michelob Celebrate might actually fool a beginner into thinking it was a serious beer, this one couldn’t fool anyone. Total drainpour and I had to hold my tongue when the rep pouring asked what I thought of it. Could be worse I suppose, but it sure could be a lot better for such fancy-ass packaging. Glad I didn’t have to pay for this one.

desurfer (1302) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - JAN 7, 2006
Pours a pale gold with a thick white head that quickly dissipates to a thin ring. Aroma is somewhat stale, dominated by a sweet macro-ish maltiness. Flavor is sweet and doughy with no hops to speak of. This gives way to a good deal of carbonation bite and maybe a hint of hops coming through. Finishes sticky sweet with a touch of dryness. The alcohol never really shows itself. Not a bad attempt by AB at all, and it would probably rate higher here if not for the anti-BMC bias.

RazingDreamz (123) - North Carolina, USA - JAN 5, 2006
Surprisingly good. Malty corny smell. Orangish color, generous head. Very smooth, medium-light bodied. Yeasty, malty taste, finishes smoothly and lightly, even a little bitter.

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - DEC 25, 2005
Thanks to Paul and Janice for this bottle! Medium gold, decent head. Aroma of honey and faintly floral hops. Unfortunately, this is a beer that smells far, far better than it tastes. Alcohol infused honey, a bit of corn, and a bit of off-putting sourness. Definitelyy sweet. Oddlly thick body, like locust bean gum got added. At least a hint of floral hops remained. Perhaps this would have best been billed as King Cobra Select. Nothing like a glorified $12 bottle of malt likka. Those who ragged on the DFH malt should try this and then shake themselves a bit before they criticize an overblown attempt at a style. I should note that by malt liquor standards, this stuff wasn’t half bad.

AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - DEC 24, 2005
Comes in a very cool bottle that I will save and use again for my homebrewing. Pours deep golden with a decent head that last for a while. As for the beer... tasted like malt liquor. The more you drink the worse it gets.

Dickinsonbeer (5073) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - DEC 21, 2005
RLB YEHA 05. Served a bit too warm. really bad aroma of skunk, corn, DMS, metal and alcohol. Flavor was about the same. Im glad I didnt have to pay money for this one. Pretty bad overall.

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 18, 2005
This is a solid score, very solid. I thought i was just getting some glorified lager, but when i saw it was a malt liqour i was happy, very happy. Clear copper color with a fairly large off white bubble head. Smells like a grainery. The taste is weird, its beyond unique. Its basically bud, with no bad taste. There is nothing to it, but it doesnt taste bad. Thumbs up AB!!

OD40oz (774) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - DEC 17, 2005
This stuff wasn’t too bad but I wasn’t about to spend 13 bucks for a bottle. My buddy had it and he let me try it. I would much rather just drink a Budweiser.

JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 16, 2005
Nice shiney clear gold/amber body. Nice powdery/soapy white head. Sweet corn and peety malt aroma. A little bit of diaper. Kind of nice once you get past the corniness. A bit too alcohol forward. Reminds me of a malt liquor… lots of alcohol, lots of malt. Sweet alcohol to me. But, it is still a little drinkable, does not have any offensive flavors. However… it would only be drinkable if I wanted an easy buzz.