overall
Brewed by Budějovický Budvar
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
České Budějovice, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 2222   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13/5   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Czechvar is the special name (editor’s note: for North America) of the world famous beer produced by the renowned brewery in Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic. Benefitting from over 700 years of brewing experience of the South Bohemian region, Czechvar is the golden original, acknowledged by many connoisseurs as one of the best lagers in the world.

BeerBiker (1415) - Odense, DENMARK - SEP 15, 2006
Bottle. Tasted it together with a border-beer (lawn-beer) trying to get my neighbor drinking quality beer. It succeeded, because this beer contains lots more of what a beer normally ought to contain.

TheJester (2542) - Cavan Monaghan, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 14, 2006
Green 500 mL bottle. Light orange, with a bit of head. Smell is not unpleasant: a hint of malty sweetness, a hint of citrus, and a bit of freshly cut timothy. Smells like candy when it warms. I like the taste much more than I do most pilseners. Fairly sweet. Very clean, with just the right amount of carbonation. Underneath is the pilsener taste (maltiness) I don’t much like. Lovely bitter finish. Good stuff.

BOBANDDOUG (61) - Belleville, Illinois, USA - SEP 13, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2007 Had to revisit this one. AB had a "sample the brands" at the brewery HQ for employees and contactors (me), the other day. Poured nice pale gold, citrusy/hop aroma. Taste had a hint of seet, follwed by a shot of hps, and malt. Finishes crisp, and very, very good. Not much a trace of skunk, as I had on the previous review..might be because of the AB distrubution? Most likely fresher than the sample I had before.

revttcoco (2) - boca raton, Florida, USA - SEP 9, 2006 does not count
My all time favourite.I actully prefer bitter to lager and weissebeers but had to try the legend in the land of its birth.I wasn’t disappointed

berkshirejohn (6588) - Bracknell, Berkshire, ENGLAND - SEP 5, 2006
After a day sampling various German pilsners in Germany, I thought I’d compare them with "the real thing" - and it is. Pours a golden colour with a white head. A powerful scent, hard to describe, but one I associate with Czech lagers, and French pissoirs. A powerful flavour that invades the mouth, sweet but balanced with a powerful blast of hops. Overall a stunning pilsner.

mtdshn (173) - Moline, Illinois, USA - SEP 3, 2006
Bottle. Poured a golden yellow with an impressive, thick, solid head. Scent is somewhat sweet, with some hop notes poking out. Taste is clean, a little too skunky for my liking, but very smooth. There seems to be inconsistences from bottlings as I’ve tried it a few different times with varying levels of skunkiness.

AmazonMatt (285) - PANAMA - SEP 2, 2006
Perhaps something went wrong with my bottle on its way here to Panama. It was labelled "Duty Free". Poured into the glass with essentially no head and very little carbonation. Flavor was for a Pilsener, not that memorable. But better than typical macrobrew fare.

whereisbob (3) - london, ENGLAND - SEP 2, 2006 does not count
Fantastic lager tastes great not to much co2 looks appetising generally great all-round beer.

markas101 (2482) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - SEP 1, 2006
Large bottle, hot summer day, great beer. Certainly worth the hype when measured against the standard ’Budweiser’. Relative to other premium lagers I would say it holds its own.

sheatripper (863) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - AUG 28, 2006
Green 12 oz bottle. Had to try the "famous budweiser beer." Poured light golden, head disappearing immediately. Aroma initially of strong bologna skunkiness (green bottle disease), settling into familiar saaz hop and grain/straw pils aroma. Flavor of lemony hop, wet grain, grass, with a bit of a sulphury finish. Watery palate, flattened out very quickly. Though not entirely offensive, I expected a lot more. I’d definitely take Pilsner Urquell over this if given the choice between the two.