overall
Brewed by Budějovický Budvar
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
České Budějovice, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 2240   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13/5   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Czechvar is the special name (editor’s note: for North America) of the world famous beer produced by the renowned brewery in Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic. Benefitting from over 700 years of brewing experience of the South Bohemian region, Czechvar is the golden original, acknowledged by many connoisseurs as one of the best lagers in the world.

reebtogi (6378) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 10, 2006
The original Budweiser. Much better than the American Bud. This is much better overall. A little maltier and hoppier and cleaner taasting.

Fin (10917) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - JUN 10, 2006
Bottle from Sainsburys. I had this after my Peruvian Cusquena lager experience. having drank this on numerous occasions, this difference was immediate wonderful golden colour and clear, great crip and refreshing tatse with a good bitterness about it very good beer.

billk (353) - Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, USA - JUN 8, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 20, 2006 Bottle 16.9 oz. Clear golden yellow w white diminishing head, good carb, min lace. Aroma is that funky mineral water, light dry malt, & skunky Euro in the (brown) bottle hops. Flavor is the same with some spiciness. A bit better tasting, and fuller bodied than Urquell. A touch of soap in the flavor. Dry nicely bitter finish. Every time I start drinking Czech Pils I ask myself: Am I sure I really like this stuff, but after a few mouthfulls I don’t want to stop drinking it.

kyzr (1596) - Montana, USA - JUN 4, 2006
Wet grassy euro pils nose. Flavor much the same, light carbination, very little hint of hops. Not much to add.

PLundsgaard (493) - Tranbjerg J, DENMARK - JUN 2, 2006
Aroma/Malty-light, Appearance Head/Initial-small, Head/Color white, Body/Hue-clear, Initial Flavor-bitter Finish Flavor-bitter Palate/Body-light beer

spporras (259) - FINLAND - MAY 30, 2006
(Bottle BB 27/04/07) Slightly hoppy, slightly fruity and slightly malty aroma. Golden colour, slightly sparkling and medium size, white, almost fully diminishing head with very small lacing. Malty, fruity and slightly bitter flavour. Lively carbonated, slightly sticky and medium bodied palate. As a representative of “Bohemian pilsener”, this is rather good brew! 27/05/06

alafito (334) - tijuana, MEXICO - MAY 28, 2006
Green Bottle, Very smooth beer, a harmony of light malts and bohemian hops. It is a budweiser made with real and high quality ingredients, very clean and crisp with a light kick of bitterness that goes away in an instant. I wish Bud would by this recipie and mass produce it as is. Its the beer you always want to have in the fridge and that even non-beer geaks will enjoy.

kujo9 (1095) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2006
12 oz green bottle: Wow! I don’t think this bottle travels well. Light struck (grocery stores fault, green bottle, under floro lights), smokey and rubbery phenolic (aged w/ yeast), but some lightly floral hops & clean malts(bready, grainy). Well balanced flavor, mostly to sweet malt, clean grainy flavor w/ some floral/light stuck hops. Finish is lightly sweet & grainy. Lighter medium body, medium carb., & smooth. Overall, probably not a bad beer, but really needs protection from the light. I blame the store that sells if for that one!!! Low marks for bad handling! I know the brewery is not responsible for this, but someone should hear about it!

beergut111 (210) - Berlin, GERMANY - MAY 27, 2006
I am not a huge fan of this style of beer but I would defintly drink this over many other pils, good stuff.

macleod (7) - Bethel Park, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 26, 2006 does not count
The original budwieser, this beer has a smooth tase that shouldn’t be avoided. I initially contested whether Czechvar was in fact the north american version, because I believe it to have a slightly different taste. I would say that Czechvar is a little less smooth than Budvar - from memory, it has been a while since I have tasted it. I know that both versions are sold in Scotland and Czechvar is much cheaper than Budvar. If you have the chance to try both - I would recommend you do and comment on any differencence, or not as the case may be.