RATINGS: 886   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Since its inception in 1985, America’s Original Pumpkin Ale has become a Fall tradition. Much of Buffalo Bill’s acclaim originates from this beloved autumn brew. Made with real pumpkin and spices, it has a golden amber color, and the sweet aroma of warm pumpkin pie, 6% ABV.

JPDIPSO (6223) - Wauwatosa, USA - SEP 4, 2003
Portlant Brewing. Not quite amber color with a cream colored head that leaves a think sheet of lace. All the spices are in the aroma - clove, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, even a undetone of pumpkin. Thin spicy start that tent to end up with the finish of just having eaten a gingerbread house. Lacks malt depth and spices tend to taste more chemical than natural after a few sips.

thehoff (598) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - SEP 2, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 29, 2004 Cannot compare to Olde Peninsula's Pumpkin Ale. Great bouquet but has a tendency to taste like flavored soda water toward the end of the beer. The finish is smooth but leaves a taste of spices in your mouth for hours. Re-rate, the more I have the more I disclike it. Too bad I bought a six pack. Re-rate: I cannot finish the six pack and must lower the rating. The aroma and appearance are great so I really can't lower them but overall the beer is just too much. Fizzy flavored water. Blah.

FlacoAlto (4182) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 2, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2003 This beer is a copper orange color and pours with a cream colored thin head. It smells strongly of pie spices, strong nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice aromas. Quite a dry beer, not much sweetness at all. The spices in the beer are mostly evident as an aroma as one is tasting, though they also come through a bit in the finish. A fairly light beer, which is basically a vehicle for the pumpkin pie spices. The spices seem to add a bit of astringency in the finish.

ampp (155) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - AUG 12, 2003
nice pumpkin aroma. watery when cold, but more flavor comes out as it warms.

Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - JUL 19, 2003
Alcoholic liquid pumpkin pie. Very interesting and very pleasant. Smelled exactly like pumpkin pie and had a lovely taste that was similar.

JazzNorm (3) - USA - JUN 17, 2003 does not count
My overall impression is higher than the individual components because I've learned to mix is about 50-50 with Rogue Chocolate Stout and to enjoy the mixture with some high-fat grilled sausages. Hard to drink all six on its own merits, but mix in the chocolate (Rogue or Youngs Double) and you can finish them all.

DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 7, 2003
Allspice, cloves, nutmeg aromas, (taste will tell the tale.) Orangey, dare I say it? pumpkin coloured, custard head. Mild pumpkin pie taste,has a somewhat bitter aftertaste. Creamy, chewy, full bodied. Pumpkin pie in a bottle!

Sully (1380) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - JUN 4, 2003
Sorry guys, but I have to say "Only in America". Geez, what's our equivalent? Macadamia Nut or Prickly Pear beer (please note the absence of the ridiculous reference to Koala Bear or Kangaroo beer as there is no such thing as Turkey or Buffalo beer either). Anyway, beer should be beer right? No pumpkin, no mashed potato in gravy, no corn chowder or no grits and beans. Add this to some soup stock and you have dinner.

MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - APR 10, 2003
Bought around Halloween during a "buy anything that's new" phase. To be honest, I don't particularly care for pumpkin. I mean, it has its applications, as my wife's fresh-baked tasty pumpkin bread sitting on the counter attests. That being said, I prefer not to have my wife's pumpking bread in liquid form. Orange-gold, thin sticky head. Nose is expectedly amazingly pumpking with loads of nutmeg. I swear every brewery on Halloween just shoves pumpkin pie in a mash tin to get this effect. Anyways, sweet malts in the flavor are significantly enhanced by the pumpkin flavor, making this just far too pumpkin-esque. Can't really even notice the palate, just too much pumpkin. Hopefully this will be a lesson that I need to stop buying pumpkin beers.

BeerPrince (1701) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 13, 2003
Great idea. A very spicy beer but quite nice and tasty. Flavour is great but kind of wears on the taste buds after half a bottle. I will drink this again in October.