overall
Formerly brewed at Bürgerbräu Wolnzach
Style: Amber Lager/Vienna
Wolnzach, Germany

RATINGS: 58   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%

CaptainCougar (7133) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - OCT 11, 2003
Pours a thick hazy light copper with a thin white head. Bubbles behaved exactly as JPDIPSO described. Sour caramel malt aroma has a touch of noble hops. Body was very acidic at colder temperatures, but got better as it warmed. Sweet crisp body has grainy malt flavors and a dry hoppiness, with a light tartness throughout. I'm not sure if the sourness is supposed to be there or not, but otherwise a decent Oktoberfest.

JPDIPSO (6223) - Wauwatosa, USA - OCT 6, 2003
The pour is one of the most interesting I've ever had. A heavy dark golden/near amber color liquid, in which the bubbles stay in suspension for a long time and then float about and meander to the top to form a smaller cream colored head. Aroma is slightly malty, with herbal hops and undertones of honey, lemon zest, and apricots. Pure heavy malt starts in the front of the tongue. Leading to a light floral hops that linger and float around, somewhat like the bubbles in the pour. Smooth, near oily in feel. Later, as the brew warms the honey and clover flavors come out and the hops linger longer in the finish. The finish is superb! A terrific balance of malt and hops. This is the third of four bottles I purchased, and each time I have had one I like it a little bit more. A few more and this may be on the top of my list.

happy4hops (376) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - OCT 4, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2004 Pretty good but #1? I like that it is bottle conditioned(but the yeast is like runny spider web snot)Aroma was more to the german hop aroma of a regular pils but the taste was decent(I thought Ayinger was a bit better)The mouthfeel was so smooth and oily.Not one I'd want more than 1 or 2 of.I didn't think it was all that hoppy but did have some dryness in the finish.This years is sour and bunk>refund

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - OCT 2, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 5, 2005 Hazy darker golden color, white head, nice lacing. Sweet malt nose with a fair amount of hops. Sweet malt flavor with a very hoppy and dry finish. Lots of body. I hope they drink this stuff in Germany rather than Beck’s for O-fest.

slushy (28) - Niagara Falls, New York, USA - SEP 27, 2003
Hazy amber color with a white head. Malty sweetness nose and mouth. Some hop oomph here and there. Pretty good O-fest.

MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - SEP 24, 2003
This beer was dissapointing at best. Looking at the ratings and I expected something that tops Ayinger. This beer was undercarbonated. It did not have much in the way of aroma. It was toward the yellow end of the spectrum. There was a ton (and I mean you could stand a spoon up) of body. We speculated that they used raw barley to give it that oily thickness. I kinda got tired of it about half way through. This was way hoppier than any German O'fest that I have had, and was just as hoppy as some American examples.

JoeM500 (1908) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - SEP 21, 2003
Orangey amber, cloudy, quite beautiful with a thin white head. Rich malty mouthfull, nice German hops at the end, very high quality stuff, I enjoy this brewery's beers!

jaymobrown (1845) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 21, 2003
Had a pleasant chilled, hazy orange look. Mostly malt and rye flavors. Ends quite dry and clean.

frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 17, 2003
Doughy malt aroma. Clear clean appearance with a nice tight head. Plenty of lacing. Very clean tasting with just the right amount of malty sweetness. Finishes off with a good dry hop flavor.

iam (369) - Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 19, 2003
Pours a hazy dark orange colour with a thin head. Very light malt aroma and taste. Nice hop bitterness to finish