overall
RATINGS: 90   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77/5   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
The Brewer’s special blend of four unique malts including chocolate & carmel malt. A light taste of coffee with a sweet finish makes this one of our best selling beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pivo (2684) - GERMANY - FEB 15, 2003
Overall a nice complex and well balanced beer. Thanks Captain Cougar! Raisons and chocolatey tones. Very sweet, syrupy and honey like. Toasted grain flavors as well. Woody finish and a little spicey. Warm round mouthfeel and heavy body.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
YogiBeera (2570) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 10, 2003
Wonderful nose. Chocolate, caramel and toasted raisons. Little layer of a head. Soft carbonation. color is mahagony like. Toasted and coffeebean, chocolate taste. Could be thicker. Light bitter kick, alcohol stays pleasantly behind. Complex - hard to drink, harder to rate, as this brew might have suffered from the transport. I really wanna try it on tap. Thanks so much CaptainCougar!!!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
JohnC (3008) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - FEB 9, 2003
I'll join the "Thanks CaptainCougar" parade. A Very light-bodied brew w/ a thin, watery mouth feel. It's certainly could be guzzled, but it doesn't have anything that grabs you. Also, it has very little carbonation. It starts off slightly sweet & has a mild, simple finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - FEB 6, 2003
This tastes a lot like Newcastle. In a blind tasting, I'd guess it to be Newcastle. But I like Newcastle. If I lived in Calumet, I could see myself drinking a lot of this. Many thanks to Captain Cougar for the hard to get brew!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Dogbrick (12596) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 6, 2003
Thanks to CaptainCougar for sending me a sealed bottle of this one. I was thinking it would be a long time before I got to try this because I guessed I would have to pay for a growler and shipping. Anyway I can tell this beer has potential but I don't think it travels well. Pours a dark raisin color with a very thin off-white head. Aroma of raspberry creme, and some malt and vinegar. Character was somewhat flat and thin, with flavors of malt, caramel, and milk chocolate. However the flavors were all very subdued. I'd like to try a fresher sample someday, but I am glad I finally got to try this!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 5, 2003
Intense ginger bread aroma. Light dry chocolate cake flavor.Similar experiance as ecrvich had.I dont think this beer travels well but I thank CaptainCouger for quelling my obsession about this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - FEB 1, 2003
This deserves its reputation. Captivating rich dark malty aroma. So solid in the mouth with lingering licorice notes. Very complex, with flavors of grape, fresh plum and light chocolate. But this is not a beer to be sipped slowly and studied. This beer demands greedy imbibition. Beautifully structured. I drank a 22 oz. of this in less than 2.5 minutes. It's more addictive than heroin. Huge thanks to Capt. Cougar.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - JAN 27, 2003
Slightly thin, leaves the mouth dry at the finish, which is fruity. More complex malt profile than others I've had, and this is a nice change from the over-hopped beer world today. Slightly tangy and zesty, which is also different and good. Not everything I was expecting but still an enjoyable beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
muzzlehatch (4939) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 29, 2002
On tap at the brewery, on a late Saturday afternoon when I was the sole patron! Most of the recent posters are spending more time talking about Bob and Bonita than the beer; perhaps that’s appropriate. Anyway, it was a good experience, its certainly a unique brewpub, but I do think this beer needs some moderation in the ratings. It’s a very good, chocolaty, relatively complex dark lager; but I don’t find the finish all that exceptional, it is a bit on the thinnish side, and it is rather lacking in hops. Bob’s much more interested in the malt than the hop, and it shows in all of his beers. A good, solid dunkel, I’m very glad I made it to the brewery, but for me it is not world-class.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GermanBrews76 (680) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 28, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2003 My story of this brewpub seems to run congruently with every one elses. I told Bob that I was from ratrebeer.com and here to rate as many of his brews as possible. Bob did remember some of us ratebeerians, especially the guy from new york who paid more ofr the shipping than the beer. It was a real pleasure spending 3 or 4 hours in the pub listening to Bob"s eclectic joke reperetoir. At any time Bob is willing to share any information about his brewing techniques, ingredients and or experiences, opinions on the topic of his beer and others. This guy has got something going on that is truly unique. All of these beers have a wonderful creamy smooth mouthful and a caramely sweet taste to them, due to his direct flame under the wort, and a palate that cleans up very well, giving all of his beers some unexplainable power to make you take another drink. He calls his style something of a cross between English and Irish brewing techniques. Oh yeah, about the beer. Deep mohagany body with hints of amber. Very dense, creamy off white head. Nose was filled with caramel, chocolate (both milk and dark), notes of well roasted malts followed by hints of bitter hops. Tastes of chocolate with an unparalelled malty carmel sweetness. Great body, tons of depth, hints of smoke in there somewhere too. An almost floral finish, very drawn out with barley, and a hint of spice. Mildly effervecsent and very pleasant. Everything I look for in a lager.