overall
RATINGS: 31   MEAN: 3.72/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Late Fall into winter seasonal. More malt, more malt, more malt. Dark malt and the fact that light can't pass through gave this beer its name. Hearty in flavor, great in taste.

joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 16, 2004
Very dark brown, somewhat black, w/ light brown foam. Toasty, slightly smoky aroma of dark chocolate & coffee w/ an earthy, meatiness. Full-bodied, slightly chewy feel. Flavour shows roastiness, dark chocolate, coffee (espresso) w/ a very mild, appetizing sourness.

tennisjoel (1459) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - DEC 1, 2007
Beer tasting at Cellars Lex/Larpenteur. Thanks Bob (Skyview) for this treat! Roasty notes and a nice flavor here. Unfortunately the sample was served too cold and from a growler it was undercarbonated, which lessened the experience. I think this would be a nice beer with the right conditions. Glad I was able to sample.

mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 20, 2005
clear dark brown colour. aorma of roasted malt, dark bread, caramel and a whiff of smoke. the flavour was roasty and malty with some caramel and coffee flavours. nice roasty dry finish.

bp (922) - New York, New York, USA - DEC 28, 2009
draft: dark black, frothy white head, aroma of malts, taste is sour, malty with a thin body, don’t care for the lingering sourness from this one...edit: after reading the other ratings here I wonder if I was given the wrong beer or if there was a problem with the keg I was drinking from...

GermanBrews76 (680) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 28, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 16, 2003 VERY dark, thick & rich with deep walnut brown hues. Never had a more malty nose in my life. Sweet caramely, chocolatey and rich. Heavy duty! hints of vanilla in there too. Big time malt taste, mildly sweet, some good roasted barley presence as well. Nice dark chocolate finish goes so well with the faint hoppiness it"s just a beautiful thing.

jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - JAN 27, 2003
Very sweet, malty and smooth. This is a refreshing beer with a great toasted malt accent that finishes dry. Great balance. The carbonation pokes through as does the subtle bitterness that complements the sweet edge on this beer very well.

beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 13, 2005
Big cheers to my Secret Santa for providing a growler of this one. Had it after a couple of weeks of sitting in the bottle and it held up very nicely.Rich brown body with a thin but creamy tan head which dissipated to pretty well nothing. Lots of roastiness and very smokey with some burnt caramel/chocolate sweetness and some coffee. A little thin perhaps and not necessarily what I expect in a schwarzbier, but solid.

prosqtor (408) - Appleton, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 21, 2007
From the tap at the brewery. Pours very dark brown with a rapidly-dissipating light head and some lace. Aroma and flavor is malts, with nice balance and not overly coffee-flavored. A good Schwarzbier from a brewery I’ll have to explore more!

BCAR (223) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - OCT 11, 2005
Bob’s most distinguishable beer for certain. Borders on a dry stout. Nice rosasted malts with coffee and chocolate profiles. Extremely drinkable, very good.

NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - JAN 27, 2003
Stoutish appearance, almost opaque, but ruby around the edges. Nearly flat, with meager carbonation supplying a tiny ring of froth. I've never ground up malt before, but this beer smells like what I imagine to be a tub the finest, freshly ground dark malts. I've never encountered such an intense malt presence, save for Celebrator. Cocoa powder, carob, and a vague cinammon smell I recall from both the Dark and Oktoberfest. Not quite as intense on the palate, but still deliciously semi-sweet. Light bitterness trickles in at just the right moment to slow down the malt train. Courtesy of my good friend Tom, this is the third beer I've been able to sample from Calumet. I've made a concerted effort not to reinforce a positive bias toward this brewery in my ratings, but I can't help but rave about these beers. Each seem to epitomize the freshness and small-batch quality that craft brewers should strive for. Thanks Coug.