overall
RATINGS: 32   MEAN: 3.71/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Late Fall into winter seasonal. More malt, more malt, more malt. Dark malt and the fact that light can't pass through gave this beer its name. Hearty in flavor, great in taste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - JAN 27, 2003
Stoutish appearance, almost opaque, but ruby around the edges. Nearly flat, with meager carbonation supplying a tiny ring of froth. I've never ground up malt before, but this beer smells like what I imagine to be a tub the finest, freshly ground dark malts. I've never encountered such an intense malt presence, save for Celebrator. Cocoa powder, carob, and a vague cinammon smell I recall from both the Dark and Oktoberfest. Not quite as intense on the palate, but still deliciously semi-sweet. Light bitterness trickles in at just the right moment to slow down the malt train. Courtesy of my good friend Tom, this is the third beer I've been able to sample from Calumet. I've made a concerted effort not to reinforce a positive bias toward this brewery in my ratings, but I can't help but rave about these beers. Each seem to epitomize the freshness and small-batch quality that craft brewers should strive for. Thanks Coug.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
qdog (201) - Cleveland, Mississippi, USA - JAN 30, 2005
Toronto Christmas 04, Growler, dark brown, nice beige head, minimal lacing, aroma is smoky and coffee, nice taste of chocolate, coffee malt, leaves aftertaste of fruit, slightly thin.