overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 634   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.17/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A bilberry (European blueberry) lambic brewed exclusively with/for Ølbutikken, Copenhagen, Denmark.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - First release ever, only 50 bottles released, 75cl bottles. Gold foil.

2007 Vintage (batch 2) - The first release of 2007, 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.

2007 Vintage (batch 3) - The second release of 2007, 75cl bottles. Gold foil.

2009 Vintage (batch 4) - The first release of 2009, 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".

2009 Vintage (batch 5) - The second release of 2009, 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".

2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 400 litre barrel with 100kg bilberries added. No vintage on the label.

2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 400 litre barrel with 100kg bilberries added. 37,5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

2012 Vintage (batch 8) - 400 litre barrel with 100kg bilberries added. 37,5cl and 75cl bottles.

2013 Vintage (batch 9) - Label indicates "13"

2014 Vintage (batch 10) - Label indicates "14"

JanVittrup (243) - København V, DENMARK - NOV 13, 2009
Batch #5 Violet pink foamy head. Sour, dry, fruity aroma. Initially just sour, in a pleasent limited way, then the blue berry sets in. Symphonic. Ends in sweet distinct berry. Medium body, fizzy. Very nice. However, after a few sips the sourness kills the blueberry taste. Medium body, fizzy. Purchased in Ølbutikken.

petematte46 (330) - Dallas, Texas, USA - NOV 10, 2009
UPDATED: DEC 3, 2009 For the birth of my first child Hadley Matte. Batch 4. Pours with a slightly cloudy, rose body topped by a thin to medium thick head with some lacing. It’s sour and tart with nice underlying blueberry that adds some sweetness. Light bodied, crisp and dry. One of my favorite for sure.

KAME (160) - California, USA - NOV 9, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2009 Placeholder until a re-rate. Had a bottle from what I believe was March 2009, Batch 4?. Very disappointing and nothing like I remembered. Now I need to drink a bottle from the cellar (Batch 002) and hope to erase this bad memory.

Stine (1795) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 4, 2009
2009 bottle. A rich, gorgeous velvet purple pour and a pillowy crown of pink. Blasts of blueberries and funk in the nose; beneath, vanilla, gritty fruit sugars, and minerals are just little accents on this massive, jammy juiciness, so rich and compelling atop the intimidating funk of cantillon.

Taut, punchy flavor of lemons and blueberries, tannins and oranges; the blueberries are so palpable that much like the freshest fruit they bring out hints of other fruits buried inside; the funk is way underneath this and plays a perfect complimenting role, which is much better to me than the confronting role it plays in foufone or saint lamvinus, for this purpose at least. Its detailed, not complicated, and the blueberries shine; lightly salty afterward.

Tight, full palate, brisk and puckering, giving an almost rich chocolate like blueberry flavor in the finish; intricate and impressively harmonious. Ty knew how bad i wanted this, thanks a ton buddy!

xpimptastikx (103) - Austin, Texas, USA - NOV 3, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2010 Finally! I couldn’t wait any longer after getting this in a trade. Batch 2 - 2007 - 375ml A - Wow, I’ve never seen a beer this color... As I pour this deep purple lambic almost 2 fingers of pink stained tan head rises and settles after a few seconds. S - The second I started pouring this I could smell the blueberries. When you’re nose deep in the glass there is a strong acidity and a nice healthy funk, lovely barnyard and cheese. T - Frickin’ awesome. Not the sourest Cantillon I’ve had, but definitely packs a punch. It blend very well with the funk going on as well. The blueberries are also the most present out of Cantillon fruit lambic that I’ve had. It might just be in my head but I swear the blueberries also add to the sourness, as if they were picked early. M/D - This one was carbonated pretty well and probably one of the only things I could find I didn’t like about, and I was trying pretty hard. Rarity and price aside, I could drink this any day of the year, I would just need 30 minutes to lose myself in it. Batch 4 - 2009 - 750mL This is a pure funk bomb, tastes like a blueberry flavored band-aid. Fruit wasn’t as present as I remembered, and this bottle was fresher... Too medicinal...

fschoening (5) - DENMARK - OCT 18, 2009 does not count
I was lucky enough to get me a couple of bottles of the ’09 2nd batch. The aroma is unmistakably blue berry and a lot! After half a bottle, I somehow loose the track of the berry flavor. Still, a climax of a lambic.

LanceUppercut (139) - SWEDEN - OCT 18, 2009
An aroma of vinegar, funk, wood and cassis. Taste is of blueberries and cassis. Acidic at first, then fruity and dry in the finish. It’s elegant and drinkable - the fruity character of those blueberries are really suitable for a fruit lambic!

Ygberg (143) - SWEDEN - OCT 17, 2009
Aroma of funk, oak, black currant and fruit. Appearance is dark red with almost no head. Flavor is sour and sweet with taste of blueberries, tart and black currant. Thickles in the mouth. Almost no carbonation. Overall an amazing beer with complex taste and interesting mouth feel.

cmillward (497) - San Francisco, California, USA - OCT 17, 2009
Bottle shared kindly by fodog. Pours a gorgeous purple/magenta with a pink head. Stunning. Nose start soft fruity, currents, light tartness and a wash of honey tinged funk. Flavor start tart, a soft sour, fruity, berries, then the tannins come in. Bretty funk towards the finish with more berry, a touch acetic and finally a solid tartness. Soft, lush, dry without loosing the soft berry flavors. Fantastic!

ggaughan (100) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, LUXEMBOURG - OCT 12, 2009
I finally got a chance to try this beer, thanks Jeppe! The beer poured a hazy, deep amber almost crimson body, dense. Vigorour head formed, vibrant pint color that receeded quickly and left a full ring on the edge. The nose was very tart, earthy and a bit of exotic fruit. The taste...tart, tart, tart! Don’t get me wrong, the taste is excellent. The blueberry notes are strong, fresh and wonderful. There is also some citrus and pepper on the tongue. If you take a look at the label, the face tells you the story of this beer. Tart yet wonderful. Well worth the effort to get it.