overall
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1120   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Apricot lambic

TaxiDriver (1830) - Stadland, GERMANY - JUL 29, 2009
Bottle. The aroma is sour,peaches, later on it gets a little bit sweet. The head is medium large, white and foamy-lively, rather fast disappearing. The body is cloudy, lively and orange. The taste is very sour and light fruity. The body is light to medium with a lot of carbonation and a very dry body. The finish is very astringent.

Anker (723) - Hillerød, DENMARK - JUL 18, 2009
UPDATED: JUN 28, 2010 Bottle shared by Andreasen11. Pours an hazy yellow colour with a white head. Aroma is very acidic, with lots of citrus, combined with grape and weak notes of humid cellar, wood and apricot. The flavour is extremely sour with dry grape, wood, a little dust and humid cellar notes, ending in a sour after taste, with a weak hint of apricot and what’s reminds me of sea buckthorn. It very sour but nice.
Ageing it 5+ years will do it well, making it round and more apricot fruity.

Plovmand (8616) - Grindsted, DENMARK - JUL 18, 2009
Bottle. Unclear yellow body with a medium white head. Lots of acid in nose with some grape fruit but mainly acid. Very citric sour acid in flavour. I dont get any apricot but intense acid. Creamy texture. The most acidic lambic Ive had. Very interesting.

andersand (531) - Malmö, SWEDEN - JUL 18, 2009
Very fresh, inviting fruit lambic with suble funk aroma and sharp acidity in the nose. Flavour is intense, tears the mouth apart. The apricot is subtle (as expected) and shows very little signs here and there once you get past the initial sourness. Looks a bit dull, pale hazy yellowish.

DarkMagus (560) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 5, 2009
250ml pour, on tap at Toronado in San Francisco, CA ($7.50!!). This one absolutely rocked me with its sourness. The bartender at first wondered whether I truly knew what I was ordering, I assured him, though I may look somewhat naive to the stuff (do I really?), I did in fact order it, picked it out from the hundred-or-so beers available, thus there is no need for a "warning". Somewhat irritated by this, I thought I should order two, one to savor at my table and one to unflinchingly pour down my throat in an instant while he watched, to show him what kind of stuff I am made of. A sort of beer geek spite. After having sufficiently convinced the bartender that I was worthy of a glass, he changed his tone and began to give me his own analysis, which I did not want or need. I took the beer back to my seat, and began drinking it. It took me about an hour to get through the 250ml, partly because it was so intense and extreme, partly because I wanted to prolong this glorious experience. Pours a hazy yellow-orange color with very little head. Ultra-sour, funky champagne-barrel musty woody aroma with a tinge of nondescript tree-fruit. Slightly citrusy perhaps. The flavors were punishingly sour, with only the slightest hint of apricot. It seems that the apricot, and its delicate and subltle flavors, are well-suited to provide a fruity background character to lambic beers, but cannot "shine through" the funk. Absolutely bone dry super tart finish. That was probably the most interesting aspect of this beer. The finish was abrupt and dry, but tickled the taste buds just enough to produce an intense craving for more and more. This is the hallmark Cantillon experience. This is the cornerstone of any sour beer addiction, in my opinion. It is sour candy for the adult beer geek. Amazing, as are most Cantillon brews. But this one had something extra special...

minch25 (577) - Medford, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 5, 2009
Hazy nectarine orange yellow body; minimal head. Aroma - lambic funk, oak crates, apricot? yes, apricot. Very tart; Soft juicy prickly apricot in the finish. Super refreshing. Exquisite.

paytoplay (146) - , California, USA - JUL 1, 2009
Very impressed with this brew. Sourness is intense. Had on Draft at Toro SD 1st anny. Have 1 bottle I’ll give at least 2 years to funk up even more. Apricot flavors come after the sourness eats away at your enamel. Enjoyed cold and when it warmed up. Cantillon is in a leage of their own when it comes to sours. This could easily become a 5.0 beer given time.

beernbourbon (1600) - Glendale, Arizona, USA - JUN 28, 2009
Bottle. Pour is cloudy light orange with minimal head. Aroma is very pleasant: sour, sweetness, floral notes, funk, and some wood. Flavor is very sour up front with a mild sweetness and woodiness to follow. The tart flavor lingers with typical lambic flavors. Really good stuff.

Capa (3436) - Kitsap, Washington, USA - JUN 21, 2009
Bottled 2008. Lightly hazy golden with a thin head. Powerful aroma from the instant I popped the cork. Sweet fruit, musty, yeast, tart. Flavor is very sour and acidic. Fruits, must, yeast, light sweetness. Dry, puckering finish. Might fine.

JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUN 18, 2009
750ml shared by OSCF at the Carolina Crew tasting - thanks, Todd! Dayum, what a nose! Having this one close to the BBC peach was an eye-opener in terms of how to do it up right. Not that we didn’t know that (know that!) but here we have a vivid demonstration. I actually think the qualities of this particular fruit are far more apposite to this style of beer than some raters, and so I think the particular blend of woods, fruit, and fizzy tart lambic works extremely well here. A real delight.