overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1926   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The world's classic Gueuze. A blend of one, two, and three year-old lambics creates a second fermentation in the bottle. The champagne of Belgium. In contrast, the Lou Pepe Gueuze is a blend of three 2-year-old lambics.

Newer vintages are labeled "Organic Gueuze", "100% Lambic Bio" or "Classic Gueuze".

JanVittrup (243) - København V, DENMARK - FEB 13, 2009
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2009 very bitter, heavily sour, salty, vinegar, light body, fizzy, bitter, The appearance varies from clear and light at the first glas, to muddy at the last one. Extremely sour (like drinking juice from the lemon), but with many tones underneath. Fantastic experience, but not something I would buy to savour over and over again. Although my girlfriend insists it’ll be great chilled in the summer. Purchased for 60dkr at Ølbutikken, Kbh V

Jonte (1413) - Gothenburg, SWEDEN - FEB 10, 2009
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2009 Bottle. 100% Lambic Bio. Golden colour with a small white head. Fresh, sour, cheese, lemon, sour apples, white wine, yeast. Sour/acidic but very drinkable.

Gualthiero (35) - Antwerp, BELGIUM - FEB 2, 2009
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2009 37,5 cl bottle, 20AUG08 bottled. Acid and salt in the aroma. Citrus taste and, bit of chloride, warm bread finish.

greig (253) - Hamilton, NEW ZEALAND - FEB 1, 2009
Orange gold, aroma of rotting hay - sweet, funky, "farmish". First time I’ve had this since visiting the brewery. Luckily it’s as good as I remember it. Face puckering tartness gives way to a complex leathery, sour citrus flavour. Finishing like fermenting lemon juice and quenching as hell. I’d like a little more carbonation, but that’s just a quibble. Tasty!

nate2g (1548) - Boomtown!, AUSTRALIA - JAN 31, 2009
Bottle (2008). Pours a hazy golden with nicely laced white head. Intense aroma of leather, wood, bread, sour apples and earthy notes. The flavour mirrors the character of the aroma. Bone dry finish. A superb beer for it’s age.

darkguardian (733) - Florida, USA - JAN 27, 2009
15oz bottle. A pretty hardcore gueze. The nose hits you immediately. Barnyard animals, socks, apple, cheese and vanilla. Pours a well carbonated hazy yellow. Taste is well pretty damn sour up front, tart sour apples and lemons, definite hay, no balsamic and the acidity is not as high as some other lambics. This is a very bretty beer. Finshes incredibly dry. Terrific palate cleanser in between big beers like stouts or barley wines. Amazing as always from them.

Rodders (137) - Norwich, Norfolk, ENGLAND - JAN 26, 2009
UPDATED: APR 6, 2009 First ever Lambic, and upon opening the bottle and pouring I was greeted with a wild, yeasty smell with a sour apple aroma filtering into my nostrils. Tasted very sour and dry, everyone else I tried it with hated it but I found it very interesting. No sweetness at all - very sharp in the mouth, tingling my tongue leaving a crisp finish. Sourness varied from mouthful to mouthful - in one I had a hint of parmizan actually. I expect this to be nice with a good cheese. A wild, untamed, but very nice and unique beer

altonbrownd (5897) - Chevy Chase, Maryland, USA - JAN 24, 2009
On tap at White Horse Tavern. Golden body. Sour and sour nose and taste. Not my thing at all. Tasted apples, sugar and SOUR.

charlotte (5386) - rødovre, DENMARK - JAN 22, 2009
Bottle at Bishops Arms.Golden colour with thin head.Aroma of citrus and sour apples,feels refreshing even with a strong sour taste a bit like champagne.Nice beer.

Gary (1999) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 22, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 14, 2015 330ml cork : re8 pending I’ve had this gueuze many times over the years at differing ages , I reckon the best example of the style that I’ve drank! I remember trying this as my first ever gueuze and found it a brutal experience as a novice to lambics. Now I’m older and as sour as this gueuze .
A dirty golden colour ,it looks rustic and grimy . The nose darts out at you , big powerful funk notes suggesting dank cellar . pungent cheese . dirt covered lemon..
Its as dry as a bone on the palate. Refreshingly acidic and beautifully puckering ..cheesey accents from stale hops are almost rich ...
Complex .Addictive . Beautiful .!!!