overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 973   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Vigneronne is a blending muscat grapes and lambic, the brewers and beer merchants produced the "druivenlambik" (grapes lambic). White grapes soaked in lambic. The fructose, which abounds in these fruits, enables us to make a beer which is more mellow than the Gueuze or the other fruit beers. The spontaneous fermentation, the ageing in the barrels for several years and the addition of grapes make it a distant cousin of certain white wines. Changed name from Druivenlambik in 1987.

JohnnyJ (5569) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 4, 2009
Hazy yellow color with fizzy white head. Funky flavors, leather, hay, tart apple, fruit, lemon, and hints of wood. Quite dry and sour. Not as much fruit in this one.

thenick (766) - North Bellmore, New York, USA - MAR 31, 2009
Bottle. Pours a hazy straw color with a small and quickly-dissipating white head. Aroma is largely sour, with slight oak notes, apple, and green grape. Taste was a shock, as it starts very sour and "funky" with brett notes, dissolving into a tart, woody finish that also has the oily slipperiness of grapes and wine. Palate is smooth, and the finish is more dry than I anticipated. I love funk, and I love Cantillon lambics - this one was a winner for me.

MeisterBrew (138) - Cheyenne, Wyoming, USA - MAR 30, 2009
Bottle. 2007. Pours a hazy golden color with very little head. Sour aroma, with a hint of wood and green grapes. Taste was much of a suprise considering this was my first ’true’ Lambic. Starts VERY sour, then progresses into a hint of wood and white wine. Ends with a lasting sour bite. Will take more tastings to aquire a taste. But overall not bad.

JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - MAR 20, 2009
Courtesy TheCheeseMan. Dark straw color, sparse off-white head. Sharp lactic funk, lighter grape notes, fruity background. Real sour start, then white grape, then a real sharp punch of sour. The fruit comes out a bit, but it’s mostly a show of the classic Cantillon sourness.

Jukkabro (3484) - Tampere, FINLAND - MAR 20, 2009
(Draught) Dark golden colored with little white head. Sweet peach in fruity and sour aroma, slight spices and sugar also present. Medium bodied, smooth palated. Flavor has same peach here, aftertaste turns to sour and carbonated with some hints of dry white wine.

nhorween (645) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 13, 2009
Draft at Publican. Hazy golden pour. Slighty funky and sour aroma. Yeast, wood, and light grapes. Soft flavor, with a sharp citrus finish. Microscopic bubbles. A really well balanced and approachable lambic.

mjs (7778) - Helsinki, FINLAND - FEB 27, 2009
(Bottle, 2005 vintage, at Pikkulintu, Helsinki, on 2009-02-27) Golden and hazy. Small white head. Sour and fruity aroma ; also some manure in there. Full bodied and dry palate with medium carbonation. Sourness, acidiness, berries, some wine like flavours and bitterness in taste. Well balanced. Long lasting aftertaste containg sourness and berries.

tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - FEB 26, 2009
Big expensive bottle at Zeno’s. Pours golden with thin white head. The aroma is orange, lots of muscadine, oak, plenty of funk, swiss cheese, and some light spice. The flavor is sour muscadine, swiss cheese, dry oaky notes, mild farmy funk, and lemon rind. The finish is dry and clean and leaves a tart, musky aftertaste. Clean and sour all around, and an excellent use of fruit.

daniele (9888) - ITALY - FEB 24, 2009
chiara poca schiuma poco peristente le note sono vinose moscato leggero legno un po di acidulo cantina in bocca si ripetono gli aromi il moscato smorza un poco l’acidità comunque ben presente

otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - FEB 23, 2009
The Cantillon which blesses my glass today is the Vigneronne. Raw, ripe, and divine, the Vigneronne is a Lambic and sweet Muscat grapes blend. I am immediately smitten with her murky dishwasher hues which hints of straw, hay, and lingers with a small head. While what I just described may not sound all that appealing, once you know, you know, and my tastebuds are already watering as I partake of her tart, funky nose dancing with hints of spice, wood, crisp apples, sour plums, pears, Muscat grapes and tons of Brett. Brettanomyces is a one sided love affair; while this amazing bug has captured my heart and soul, I don’t think Brett cares whether she is loved or not. My first quaff is clean, crisp, and mouth-puckering tart with a one-two sour punch and a Sahara-inspiring dryness that requires another quaff to quench my growing thirst. Spice notes mix with the tart for some sweetness in the color of Muscat grapes, apples and pears. Not to be outdone, wonderfully aromatic and palatable oak and leather carries my Cantillon Vigneronne from my lips to my throat and lingers long into the finish. As I unfortunately reach the end of my glass, a perfectly balanced mix of oak, leather, spice, and Muscat grapes round out our time together.

Again, Cantillon reinforces my love for Lambics and my ever staunch support of this old Belgian brewing tradition. Created in Belgium and still brewed best, if not exclusively in Belgium, as far as Lambics go, the Cantillon Vigneronne is magic. Magic in my glass, on my tastebuds, and throughout my senses.