Cantillon Zwanze (2017) Cuvée Bijette

Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 64   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
My youngest son, Sylvain, will be 18come October. As we did for his older brother, Florian, I wanted to celebrate this milestone by dedicating a beer to him. And what better beer than the Zwanze. I wanted to involve Sylvain in choosing the beer, and when I asked him what blend we could make. He told me : “ I love iced tea, could we try a blend with tea?”. After a superb tasting of several different types of tea at “Nong Cha” tea shop in the center of Brussels, we chose three teas for trial blends with Lambics. After a few days of maturation with 2 years old Lambic, we decided on a “Oolong” (Wulong), a semi-fermented blue-green tea. The Lambic-tea blend gave a great result. The beer was delicate and round, with notes of fruit and slight bitterness. Sylvain is a huge fan of “Game of the Thrones” wich inspired the graphics for the 2017 edition of our Zwanze. But in our version, no one dies and everyone has a good beer !

Gerbeer (3894) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 14, 2017
On tap. Pours a cloudy orange/yellow with little head. Aromas of cheesy stoned fruit, creamy tea, a bit of funk and a bit of soft wheat. But also a bit of low tide... Flavors follow same, with the exception of the low tide; creamy fruit with tartness cut by the tea. Actual tea flavor is very subtle. Nice,and interesting.

mcberko (18557) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 14, 2017
On tap at Bells and Whistles, pours a cloud bright orange with a medium white head. Nose reveals that wonderful signature barnyard funk, with just a hint of tea. Flavour hits you with the funk upfront, and then transitions to a fairly prominent but unabrasive tea character. I wouldn’t think the combination would be overly pleasant, but this works very well.

fiery1 (1561) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 14, 2017
Draught @ Bells and Whistles. Pours a hazy orange copper colour with a small white head. Nose is lovely sour and funky, very lambic. Flavour is very lambic classic flavour with a welcoming oolong light but lingering finish.

Ferris (16270) - Burnaby, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 14, 2017
Draft - Light Petroleum and rubber with some white grape and light citrus. Cloudy copper go,d with a nice white head. Not sure if the tea is really there for me, but fruity and nice.

Oakes (18472) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 14, 2017
Draught @ Bells and Whistles. Has a vibant peachy colour, nice thick head. Beautiful aroma. The wulongcha doesn't show but it's bright, fruity lambic with leathery brett, and almost a berryish character. On the palate, soft...tart in the finish but there's a lot of sweetness up front. Lively character. Touch of bitterness and maybe some tannins.

beerplace (1923) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 14, 2017
On tap at Bells and Whistles during belated Zwanze Day. Pours a deep golden with a white head. Aroma is gueuzy with lots of funk and some berries. Similar taste with some slight tea notes. Slightly woody. Good stuff.

kraddel (8721) - Antwerp, BELGIUM - OCT 13, 2017
Bottle at cantillon. Pours mildly hazy blonde. Small to regular white head. Smell is full funk, typical woody lactic complex cantillon. Mils herbal aspects. Taste is full, very complex, doughy, malty, lambic funk, wood, mild astigency, even a tad bitter. Acidic, more shqrp than i'm used to for a cantillon. Herbal notes are mild, but I do get the connection to ice tea' just glad it doesnt taste more like ice tea, really, since I aint a fan of that. The beer is nice though.

Bov (13221) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - OCT 12, 2017
@Zwanze Day (Au Trappise) - very hazy red-orange beer with a little foam left; cheesy and fruity aroma with notes of sweat and tea; tasty and lively palate, subtle but fair carbonation; fairly sour, dry and quite astringent; aftertaste of tea and fruits in a long sour finish

Dedollewaitor (16315) - Odense, DENMARK - OCT 9, 2017
Bottle @ Cantillon. Pours hazy copper with a white head and lacings. Woody cognac feel. Barnyard - dry and very refined. Slight herbal green tea-ish notes. Well put together. Tart and dry finish. Delicate.

ctipping (2200) - Florida, USA - OCT 9, 2017
On tap at Green Bench. Hazy deep orange. Smells of mostly lambic influences. Citrus, oak, dried grass. Faint earthy tea aroma that I probably wouldn't pick out without knowing it was there. Tastes much more influenced by the tea. Citrus up front. Dries out as the tea flavor builds. Earthy, herbal, and astringent. I enjoy it, even though the tea does taste overbrewed. Is that the word I'm looking for?