overall
RATINGS: 135   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68/5   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
Loaded with a great depth of malt complexity. Huge and rich as can be, yet exhibiting a great smoothness on the palate.

jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - FEB 14, 2005
A bit darker than their Munich Dark. Alcohol is totally hidden, despite the thinness of the beer. Average doppel, not sticky, fruity, or chewy enough.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - FEB 14, 2005
My expectation were high on this beer but it failed to deliver. Nice chestnut brown color with a foamy beige head. Malt dominates the aroma and the flavor. Some caramel and vanilla notes. Medium body and fairly nice in the mouth. Flavor was just average doppelbock.

Dogbrick (13010) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 9, 2005
Nothing will ever come close to Celebrator in the Doppelbock category but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t some other good ones out there. This is a fine example of that fact. Pours a dark brown color with a reddish halo. Thin, dense beige head and thin lacing. The aroma is sweet roasted malt, nuts and dark fruit. Medium-bodied and smooth with a well-rounded array of flavors, from malt, caramel and vanilla to nuts and hops. The only downside is the flavor disappears quickly. The upside is taking that next drink to refresh the flavor isn’t hard at all. The finish is mostly sweet malt with a touch of raisins. Good work on this one by Capital.

MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - JAN 29, 2005
Dark brown-red. Nose malty, woody, and a bit nutty. Great initial flavor, rich malts, raisins, loads of sweet roasted malts. Flavor drops off a bit too much after the initial swallow, but still a solid dopplebock.

Frank (4193) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 21, 2005
Another solid lager beer from Capital. Dark ruby garnet with a minimal head of fine bubbles. Big nutty nose. Notably drinkable with a powerful malty flavor. Not an incredibly complex beer but tasty enough that you don’t miss it.

StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 10, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 21, 2005 December 2005 bottle, consumed December 2005.
Deep, translucent chestnut brown in color with a short, creamy white-to-grey head. Milk chocolate bubble gum leads the aromatic display, along with slight plastic band-aids crossed with chocolate scented scratch n’ sniff stickers. Some caramel contributions and a dry pecan edge in the nose as well. Wonderful milky sweetness oozes in for the flavor portion, equally imparted with caramel, chocolate toffee and honey roasted hazelnuts. Dry crackle at the sides of the tongue mimic the teeth snapping unsalted pecans, and its likely aftermath. Sweet, viscous syrup accents akin to maple vats, imparting a pacified wooden smoothness. Only detraction is a bubblegum current of a failed Bubble Yum chocolate-flavored gum experiment (would that I could blame this character flaw on their bottling operation in Monroe, where a dark shadow is cast on the Wisconsin brewing industry as a whole.) Perfectly succinct and balanced, finishing like buttery Rolos hammered onto Heath bars. Barely skips a beat from last year’s version, and I still love this doppelbock to death.

December 2004 bottle, consumed January 2005.
Excellent beer - definitely one of (if not) the best doppelbocks I’ve ever had. Pours a deep ruby brown. Little to no head with small lacing - one of the lighter doppelbocks I’ve had. It didn’t appear to be as thick as I was expecting when I poured it into the glass, but the taste delivered. Smooth and complex semi-sweet chocolate malt nodes and moderate carbonation. Definitely a rich, whole-mouth experience. Tastes yeasty, almost like a liquid bread made with brown sugar. Traces of oak and roasted nuts. Alcohol is very well hidden and isn’t evident even in the finish. Leaves a nice nutty, malty aftertaste which I can still remember and pine for as I write this review. Fantastic beer.

soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - JAN 1, 2005
Reminds me more of a Porter than a Doppelbock, at least the ones I’ve had. Has the slightly bitter coffee taste which I don’t mind. Since I am not a big fan of heavily hopped brews, I’m glad the bitterness isn’t the type that comes from lots of hops. The head dissapates faster than I’d like to see, but all in all its a pretty well made, pleasing, rich, hearty, flavorful brew.

PhillyBeer2112 (2850) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - DEC 31, 2004
This turned out to be the ideal beer to rejuvenate my ratings. I think I had been resorting to rating a little too much by style, rather just on a beer’s own merits - and especially when I pick up a beer in one of my favorite styles, I’m going to take notice when it doesn’t completely match up to the standard (in the case of doppels, Celebrator sets the standard for me). But while this may lack some of the huge melanoidiny Munich malts of Celebrator and others, this turns out to be a very nice easy drinking dark lager. There is plenty of toffeeish malt, if restrained and balanced by a semi-dry finish. Very smooth. Attractive deep reddish color. I could drink alot of this, even for its strength.

IndianaRed (4617) - Boise, Idaho, USA - DEC 28, 2004
Bottle Pours a medium dark brown, with a small off white head. Aromas are a nice sweet caramel, apple, dark woody malt combination. Flavors are slightly smokey, lots of dark malts, and very little hops. Feel is a bit thin and dry, and the ABV is a bit noticeable but does not take away from it. Becoming one of my favorite styles. Thanks to MrFacto for this one

muzzlehatch (4959) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 24, 2004
12 oz bottle. Yay! My Capital doppelbock ratings are complete! This one is clear walnut with a very creamy, lasting off-white head. Caramel and a bit of underlying chocolate and vanilla dominate the nose...is there some anise and cherry? Is our children learning? They is! The body is smooth and creamy, alcohol evident...no Laura I’ll come to bed after I’m done with this...coke! Juicy baked apples and cherries appear in the body with touch of rum and a big dose of caramel...mmm good, I misunderestimated this one...