Captain Lawrence Smoke from the Oak (Rum Barrel)

overall

RATINGS: 223   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 192   ABV: 6.4%
Rum barrels are a new one for me. I’ve never tasted a beer that was aged in rum barrels before I tasted the same beer you have in your hands. And let me tell you, it was no easy task tracking down freshly emptied rum barrels and getting them up to the brewery. But I think you will agree it was worth the extra effort. To create this beer we took our Smoked Porter and let it slowly age in barrels that once held 12 year old Virgin Island rum. Straight form the Captain’s cellar to yours, we hope you enjoy.

kmweaver (3207) - Petaluma, California, USA - SEP 5, 2007
750mL bottle, courtesy of artusory. Thanks, Ryan! Pours a dark brownish-black color; off-white head with patchy lacing. Toasty oak, rum, with a smoked / charred malt presence in the aroma; slight astringency, with a green coffee note. Medium-to-full mouthfeel: pleasant rum-tinged warming alcohol in the mouth; slight dark chocolate porter presence lurking underneath; dense, drinkable blend, but not at all in the same league as the Wine Barrel version (but what is?). Medium, milk chocolate and toasty grain finish.

crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - SEP 5, 2007
After driving way out of the way I got these badboys straight from the brewery. Dark black pour with a red hue to it, and a medium sized almond head. The aroma is wow who’d a thought, rum!, dark berries, and chcolate, but damn is it weird smelling rum in a beer. Flavor has a lot of rum with wood and oak from the barrel, dark berries, a touch of chocolate and caramel. It really stays with the rum with a good amount of sweetness and dark fruit notes with the roasted notes in the aftertaste. So the final is it’s rum and sweetness with a roasted aftertaste. The mouthfeel is thin with lots of bubbly carbonation. The rum really makes this a sipper for me and it’s good but I couldn’t drink this too often. It really is a rum aged beer, my first and what a great experiment. And for other’s I think this needs to sit.

adrian910ss (2591) - Doylestown, PA, USA - SEP 2, 2007
750 ml bottle. Pours a dark murky brown color with a medium beige head. Aroma of rum, bitter chocolate, and smoky malts. Taste is bitter with hints of smoke, rum and chocolate. Not bad, but more alcohol would make this better.

egajdzis (6709) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 2, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 7, 2007 Poured a deep, dark, brown / red color with a small, tight, creamy light tan head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of chocolate, roasted malts, rum, molasses, light smoke, with caramel, and a bit of vanilla as well. Taste of sweet, dark chocolate, bitter roast, dark fruits, toffee, vanilla, smoke, and a sweet, sugarcane, rummy, alcohol in the finish. Creamy mouthfeel. Certainly different, i’m not sure rum works, it’s just to sweet to work with this beer.

jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - AUG 24, 2007
Bottle thanks to Hophead75 at Mullman’s gathering. Dark brown color with a small tan head. Sweet malty aroma with some dark fruits, brown sugar and a bit of char. I finally picked up the rum in the flavor, along with some smoke, dark roasted malts, oak and raisins. Very light carbonation gives the beer a creamy mouthfeel.

hophead75 (2012) - Largo, Florida, USA - AUG 20, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 21, 2007 bottle, shared at Mullman’s tasting. Very dark brown in color with just about no head at all on it. Aroma: Chocolate, roast, light notes of caramel and smoke, and some rum in the background. Taste is lightly oxidized malts- roast, chocolate, with a nice caramel backbone- light notes of some rum and oak. Body is medium, finishes lightly roasty and smoky. I enjoyed this.

mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - AUG 20, 2007
Bottle. Deep copper brown in color with no head. Light rum and caramel aroma. Malty and smoky flavor. Light rum notes. The rum flavor is very light here. Finish is smoky. Medium bodied. Tastes mostly of CL smoked porter. Drinkable.

puzzl (3260) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 19, 2007
Bottle. Very little head on the pour, which is in tune with the palate: mostly uncarbonated. Certainly there is a touch of life there, and this comes across differently than other uncarbonated beers, but it’s pretty dead. I think it works well for the beer, though. Nose is light roast, vegetal, a touch of dark rum. Flavor is interesting, unique, a bit of old porter combined with light rum and gentle roast. Very balanced (although no hops are to be found) and very drinkable. No alcohol heat in the finish, although I could swear this is more than 6.5%. It’s an interesting beer in that I can’t decide whether I love it or it’s just OK... more so than any other I’ve had. The flavor is very unique, and the rum is potent but at once subtle. I predict this will have an extremely high standard deviation, but towards the end of my 2nd sample and nearly 1 liter of this beer, I’ll have to go with a favorable response.

Eyedrinkale (3214) - Astoria, New York, USA - AUG 19, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 10, 2009 Bottle. Th e new bottled version has a LOT less rum and alcohol burn than the draft version. In fact the blend may be a bit lacking in the rum department. Good thing Capt Lawrence Smoked Porter is good because that’s what this tastes like.

ABUSEDGOAT (2833) - California, USA - JUL 29, 2007
Bleh. Unfortunately I have to agree with the other ratings. Black pour, some lacing and retention. Aroma is HUGE rum barrel. Some minor porter notes, chocolate and caramel is there if you search. Couldn’t find any smoke notes. Beer is fairly light bodied but is COMPLETELY dominated by the barrel. If this was an imperial stout it mighta worked. It came off as boozy even though it wasn’t. The barrel really stripped away a lot of flavors. Overkill!