overall
Brewed by Carlow
Style: Dry Stout
Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow, Ireland

RATINGS: 1261   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36/5   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 129   ABV: 4.3%
This stout has a robust flavour with a ful bodied and smooth mouth feel. The roast flavours lead to a dry espresso like finish. A generous addition of fuggles hops lead to a tart bitterness which mingles with the roast espresso flavours on the tongue.

beergut111 (210) - Berlin, GERMANY - SEP 20, 2006
500ml bottle. Pours a nice black colour. Dark chocolate and coffee tastes. Ive had better stouts, but I would take this over guinness anyday.

Slacks (615) - Bolton, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 18, 2006
500ml Bottle: Stumbled upon this one Saturday night when friends introduced me to the Queen’s Quay LCBO. Great place, awesome selection. This baby pours jet black with a less robust off-white head than I expected. Aroma is heavy on dark roast coffee and unsweetened chocolate, very nice. Flavour is in line with aroma, heavy with coffee (made more prevalent when I had a coffee right after I was done) and quite hoppy and dry. My first dry stout and I truly enjoyed it.

MrManning (2009) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 18, 2006
500 ml bottle purchased from the LCBO- This is a dark beer. Deep dark brown, close to black, with a thin mocha head with decent life. Aroma is crushed dry coffee beans, dark baker’s chocolate, roasty, smoke. Taste is bitter and dry black coffee, with a smidge of dark chocolate and roasted oats. Finishes smmoth, but dry as all get out, with awesome length coming from the coffee aspects. I imagine this is one of the finest dry stouts I have had to date.

markas101 (2435) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - SEP 18, 2006
50cl bottle. Almost black colour, roasted malt aroma. Coffee flavour, nice bitterness that lasts.

TheJester (2542) - Cavan Monaghan, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 17, 2006
500 mL bottle. Dark, dark, dark brown, with a bit of quickly dissipating head. Aroma of mocha (ice cream!), roasted malt, and a tiny bit of stewed prunes. Strong, interesting taste. The coffee grounds mentioned by others really sit on your tongue. Others call it thin, but I find it thicker than Guinness, anyhow. Quite bitter finish. I like it.

HogTownHarry (6622) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - SEP 17, 2006
Bottle (500ml). Nice lively frothy-creamy lively pour, yelds a large lasting creamy tan pancake batter head, clear deep ruby. Very dry deep roasty aroma, nutty and oily, somewhat lactic and ... can’t put my finger on it, but something I don’t quite like. Taste is dry, roast malt, hints of coffee grounds, very dry hops, slightly sour milk - a little thin. Somewhat acidic and flat mouthfeel, finishes dry and bitter - takes a bit of getting used to, but I suspect this is pretty damned on-style - I’d love to try it on cask.

JoeMcPhee (9426) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 15, 2006
Tap at d.b.a. Dark black colour with 1" of pale tan head. Low aroma with light milk chocolatey notes. Light roastiness. As it begins to warm a very soapy vegetal character pops up in back. Light roastiness but the dirty dishwater esters and watery palate don’t do it any favours.

OKBeer (1171) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - SEP 15, 2006
500 ml bottle. Pitch black colour with ruby highlights. Mostly diminishing frothy tan head. Chocolate, coffee, caramel, and roasty aroma. Acidic fruit, dark chocolate, roasty coffee flavours with a roasty bitter finish. Medium bodied, chewy but oily mouthfeel.

Nekronos (4175) - Xalapa, MEXICO - SEP 14, 2006
Very good, nice roasted flavour in the grains, and good foam, veyr nice in the aftertaste and good appearance.

JRHBrew (367) - Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA - SEP 8, 2006
Not necessary the most boring stout I’ve tried but certainly the most subdued.