overall
Brewed by Carlton & United Breweries (CUB)
Style: Foreign Stout
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

RATINGS: 336   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2/5   EST. CALORIES: 171   ABV: 5.7%

vanabbema99 (13) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JUL 27, 2001
I’ve tried a lot of beers over the years, and this has become one of my favorites, and definately my favorite, most drinkable stout. I like Guiness, but I like this even better. It is very well balanced; I just can’t get me enough; hand me another!

idajack (1) - Nampa, Idaho, USA - MAR 19, 2005 does not count
a great beer one of my favorites a little hard to find so i stock up when ever I can

Thunzie (4) - Tamworth, AUSTRALIA - JAN 24, 2007 does not count
It’s been around in Australia forever and thankfuly it’s still easily available. It has stood the test of time because it’s simply a great stout. Not as sweet at some stouts, it’s more molases than coffe or chocolatey.

MrRoss (646) - Delta, British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 15, 2009
Love that big bottle but the label imparts damned little information, mostly the usual health warning. It poured a frothy tan head, which produced a small amount of nice short-term lacing. The colour is just bloody dark, impervious to light. Aroma is roasted/toasted/burnt malts, chocolate, and coffee. Taste is all that the aroma promises, and that is simply delicious. Mouthfeel is typically "stouty", with a clean after. Far and away the best Oz beer I’ve ever had.

davidm (2080) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - MAY 15, 2011
Bottle 375ml. Very solid stout, a great surprise. Aromas chocolate and caramel. Taste is sweet, with light bitterness, and long length. Palate is velvety, with a medium-to-full body. Black, with a thin head.

IanB (1) - USA - OCT 4, 2006 does not count
I’ve had at least one of these a week for the last 20 years - over 1000 total! (Does anyone remember when it was called Tooth Sheaf?) The ONLY beer I carry to the top of mountains when I go hiking. Coffee, chocolate, toast, and just a pinch of salt to set it apart. Like liquid bread, it sticks to your ribs. If you find yourself marooned on a South Pacific island, this is the beer you’ll want a case of to wash up on the shore!

dwyerpg (6180) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - OCT 23, 2008
Too much coffee in the aroma for me. Other than that, I really enjoyed this. A great opaque color. Thick and quite roasty. A nice graininess in the finish.

seab0ss (3) - Arcata, California, USA - JUL 3, 2012 does not count
This is probably my new go-to stout. It has a non-overwhelming complexity and a remarkable smoothness. The biggest flavor note I got was a deep coffee, like properly extracted espresso. Plus its very affordable, at my store they are cheaper than the Guinness bottles of the same size.

purduebacchus (39) - USA - APR 10, 2007
Great cheap stout, coffee colored head, goes away quickly. Very carbonated, molasses and coffee flavors. Black as night.