overall
Brewed by South African Breweries (SABMiller)
Style: Sweet Stout
Sandton, South Africa

RATINGS: 204   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Castle Milk Stout has a thick texture, strong flavour and a full, satisfying and complex taste, with a hint of caramel. Dark roasted malt provides its distinctive dark colouring, and the creamy, smooth head comes from a special yeast.

goochflies (50) - Kaiserstuhl, SWITZERLAND - JUN 2, 2014
Bottle in Juba South Sudan Bar. One of my favorite African beers. Creamy, smooth, malty with sweet nose and nice frothy head with slight bitterness.

Wanja (772) - GERMANY - MAY 24, 2014
0.3 l bottle at Krüger Nationalpark... Nice black color, stable head. Like cold coffee with milk cream... Nice sweet malt aroma of chocolate, coffee and alcohol... Typicall sweet and alcoholy milk stout taste... Coffee ending...

jerohen (2379) - Bussum, NETHERLANDS - MAY 20, 2014
Thanks to LeoR for sharing. Dark colored, small brown head. Aroma of roasted malts, sweetness, licorice. Flavor of roasted malts and sugary sweetness. Not that good....

caesar (7392) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - MAY 16, 2014
Bottled brought from South Africa by LeoR, medium sample. Dark color, short frothy brownish head. Aroma of roasted malt, bit licorice, sugary, molasses. Sugary sweet taste, slight bitter, quite dry. Typical.

Splitenz (388) - Oslo, NORWAY - APR 29, 2014
When I went to South Africa I had so much bad beer, I was getting quite fed up. There IS good beer in South Africa, but most of it is from the brewery in old Südwest (Namibia) Windhoek. But there is one beer... My very first Milk Stout, Castle’s black and amazing stout works on so many levels. Even though there’s the dreaded corn in this beer as well, SA has kept this old beer ticking along and it has a nice niche in South Africa. Several times Afrikaaners would come over in their rugby shirts and tell me how happy they were to see me, a foreigner drink "their" beer and buy me another. Now, milk stout is a fairly unknown product to Scandinavians, but as I understand it, they make it with lactose sugars. It rounds out the flavor and adds a really nice texture to the beer. It is so good and seems so healthy, selling it under this name is not legal in Sweden (alcohol and milk may not be sold as a product name).

abemorsten (3683) - Mosterøy, NORWAY - MAR 5, 2014
500 ml bottle kindly shared by Nilsas who bought this in Nigeria. Clear deep mahogany body with a light brown head. Sweet burnt sugar on the nose. Sweet and burnt flavors. Medium to full bodied. Burnt finished. Papery finish.

gunnar (9920) - Sandnes, NORWAY - MAR 5, 2014
Shared bottle at local tasting. Pours very dark ruby with a tiny tanned head. Aroma is malty, weak vanilla. Taste is well balanced, roast and lactic sweetness, dry lingering finish.

Gorm (1899) - Sandnes, NORWAY - FEB 24, 2014
Mørk rødbrun farve med beige skum. Lukt av malt, lakris og krydder. Smak av malt, kaffe, lakris og sjokolade.

Attap (1) - SOUTH AFRICA - FEB 19, 2014 does not count
I really like this locally available milk stout beer. I buy it by the crate and drink it by the crate. If I go to a drinking pavilion I ask for it on-tap as this is even better so then I drink it by the barrel. I love carrying a fully-loaded 500 ml beer mug around as everyone looks at the beer and smiles - it makes me and others happy.

nilsas (4719) - Bryne, NORWAY - FEB 18, 2014
Duft av kaffe, bek og lakris. Dyp sort farge. Noe skum som forsvinner raskt, litt langs kant. smak av kaffe og bek.