overall

RATINGS: 41   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.49/5   ABV: -
This award-winning beer has long been a Catamount favorite. The dark roasted malts are the signature of the Porter style, yet a hoppy character and fruitiness balance this beer. Whether you're in a warm pub during a Vermont winter evening, or enjoying a sunny summer day, Catamount Porter will satisfy your thirst for a rich, tasty beer

gripweed57 (2806) - Hamilton Square, New Jersey, USA - APR 16, 2017
From old tasting notes. Translucent reddish brown color with a frothy tan head. Pleasant spicy chocolate malt aroma. Tasty toasted malt flavor is redolent of chocolate and cinnamon. Wonderfully smooth yet complex. Herbal hop finish. Very nice. A very good Porter.

SudsMcDuff (8469) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - SEP 2, 2015
from notes and the wall .. . pours a mild brown .. low foam, lacing was sparse .. . ruddy and deep, probably past it’s prime, black caramel and cardboard .. probably was great when sitting on shelves .. . . i didn’t go to work today, it was raining;

1.1
AdamChandler (5150) - Enfield, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 5, 2012
Had this at Harpoon Brewery in Vermont on tap. A - blacker than oil. This is a very deep and dark beer! One head produced with a dark tan appearance. Left quickly. S - I’m getting nothing. No smell at all. it’s a Porter but there’s no scent. T - No taste. Maybe malt and some vanilla but yeah. Pretty disappointing. O - this is water. I’m drinking water. That’s it.

xoldlady (17) - Arizona, USA - JUL 2, 2011
Judging from memory here, but oh man used to REALLY like this beer. Back in the day I (many times) would actually take a case back to AZ from Vermont as carry-on luggage. Would even share it with my seat mates during the flight. Pretty sure you can’t do that any more. RIP Catamount.

kp (10880) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Date: 05/25/1997
Mode: Bottle
Source: total beverage, DC

dark ruby red, thin tan head, sweet malt aroma with hints of chocolate, malt flavor with lots of chocolate and roasted malts, lingering bitterness

Aroma: 6/10; Appearance: 7/10; Flavor: 2/10; Palate: 2/10; Overall: 5/20
Rating: 1.8/5.0
Score: 4
-------- /> The score was calculated based upon the notes and an old scoring system.

GLADDING24 (2) - California, USA - APR 26, 2007 does not count
AAAHHHHHH!!!!! Catamount went under??!?!?! I grew up in Vermont and Loved the beers from Catamount. Especially the Stovepipe Porter. God that was a great beer on a crisp autumn day. Perfect for when the leaves were changing and the pumpkins big and orange.

faroeviking (11119) - Chupando chellas es como ellas, FAROE ISLANDS - MAR 24, 2007
Sad day when this brewery went out of business. I only had the luck of trying a few styles of its different beers but I sure had many of them and they sure were good. My first Catamount Porter was in 1993 and I had many more in the years after on my revisits to the US. Porter was great, nice deep dark brown colour with its nutty chocolate flavour and bitter aftertaste. My last Porter was a 1995 which I drank in 2005. Very different indeed and one to sip from only. Port and porter like. Rest in peace.

MayorQuimby (100) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - MAR 29, 2005
In honor of making the turn at rating #50, I’m rating this in memoriam (I drank so much of it while in college that I can still taste it to this day). This was THE beer that got me into drinking good microbrews, and I cried the day I found out that Harpoon was shutting down Catamount (and immediately went out and bought out all remaining supplies in the greater Williamstown, MA, area). Dark brown color, tan head. Roasty, dark malty aroma, some chocolate malt. Flavor is smoky, chocolate malt, good roasty flavor, great balance, and hops come out in the finish. Medium bodied, maybe not quite the palate of other porters, but very drinkable. My mouth waters just remembering this beer (and the good times that came with it during college).

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 14, 2004
Fully black color, roasted tan, short head. Aroma, rich and full of cocoa and coffee. Great bitterness on the palate, that fade a bit, but the flavor doesn’t. Full-bodied, excellent chewiness in the texture. There’s a perfect balance, and an abundance of flavor. Warm and toasty, this is a porter I would return to again and again.

VTHopHead (1511) - Seymour, Tennessee, USA - APR 25, 2004
(Bottle) Dark brown/black in color with a light tan head. This was a decent porter and one that I would drink again, if available. No longer produced by Harpoon/Catamount.