RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 2.9/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.79/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 171   ABV: 5.7%
A mildly spiced brown ale just in time for the cold days in Virginia! Plowed is spiced with nutmeg and cinnamon.

Ticked By

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kinz (3737) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - MAY 4, 2013
Since this winter brew is still hanging around in May on tap at COTU, I suspect it hasnít sold all that well for them (especially in comparison to other beers that seem to be disappearing at an alarming rate there). I hadnít tried this one previously - I just wasnít feeling it for a spiced beer. But this last time, with only a few beers available there, I went ahead and picked up a growler. Glad I did. Pours a very dark brown, bordering on blackness. Aroma is lightly of roasty malts and a hint of Christmas spice. Flavor is basically a match. The spice note is primarily nutmeg, and it blends quite nicely with the dark malts. Dry finish. Really shockingly enjoyable. I suspect that when this was first brewed, the spices might have bombed out the beer. But this was either a keg where things had aged out nicely, or the spice was put in at just the right levels. Good stuff this time out. Sort of treading the line between a porter and a brown ale. Reminded me in some ways of some "Colonial" beer replications Iíve tried before.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
Braudog (6438) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - JAN 20, 2013
Draft at the brewery. Dark brown with a thin tan top. Cinnamon and nutmeg dominate what would otherwise come off as a thin stout with a hint of java. Far to thin to carry the muscular spices. (#4926, 1/19/2013)