overall
RATINGS: 734   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
The "Brewer’s Reserve" label is used only for limited edition beers. No time or expense was spared to create these beers! This is a good expression of our passion for brewing -- Cheers!

Gurst (338) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - MAY 15, 2007
Black color, thin tan head. Dark charred malt tastes come up front, but the harsh smokey flavor is quietly displaced over time by a smoother chocolate character. Light taste of alcohol, but still that nice warming quality. Slightly sour wood aftertaste.

Flyer (118) - Hartland, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 11, 2007
I’m predicting big things for this up-and-coming brewery. This particular entry would make great competition for Irish coffee. It pours so dark it’s almost purple, with a nice head. Phenomenal aroma of bourbon and oak, and maybe even a little peat. Really nice bourbon flavor over a chocolatey base. More oak and bourbon in the aftertaste, with a really nice warming sensation.

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 9, 2007
12oz bottle via trade with Ughsmash, my pal from the great state of Wisconsin. Thanks Jason. Barrel Aged impy with a humungo head, i suspect a short barrel life. Pours big ol black with a 2 finger fading light brown head. The nose is all bourbon and wood, with a hint of maltiness. Damn that taste is big and bold and I don’t know if its the remants of Cuvee de Tomme or but this is really quite big. I hope allaboutstout just got a lame duck bottle because this is a damn good impy. The taste is really complex and large and in charge. Yum

jj21 (84) - Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 4, 2007
Growler hand delivered from a freshly sunburned thefatkid13 on his way to DLD (Thanks again!) Pours thickly into a snifter creating a fantastic brown head. To my surprise the growler was clear! I thought the way that not a ray of light was getting through that for sure it was brown. Damn this was dark! Carbonation settles ala Guinness, etc... but that’s where the comparison ends. Head settles to a nice lacing over the top. Aromas are wonderful- coffee, malts and Bourbon oh my. I first poured too cold and didn’t get it at all it’s glory (shame on me) but as it warmed up it became even more complex. The kind of beer you want to bury your nose in. Big flavors of malty bourbon and oak. Some vanilla from the barrel hints at the finish. There’s a nice bitter charred flavor that I wasn’t expecting that really finished well. Full bodied and very smooth despite the higher alcohol (9.5%) presence. I finished off a growler in two nights. I probably could have in one, but I found enough self control to hold back. It keeps you wanting more and I look forward to Central Waters opening distribution into my area (nudge nudge) sometime soon.

AllAboutStout (605) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 15, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 27, 2007 I honestly don’t know where to start with this one. First off, this is far from a stout. It is a very watery light brown. Clear around the edges. This is more like a barrel aged dubbel. If it was a dubbel it wouldn’t be half bad. Other than being water thin, it has an overbearing sour grape flavor going on. Didn’t get much bourbon out of it. Plenty of oakiness coming through. I hope this was a bad bottle, because this is nothing that I would seek again. I was expecting a lot more out of this. Instead this will go down as one of the worse beers I’ve ever had. Re-rate: I obviously had a bad bottle in my first experience. The second bottle had a load of bourbon in both the nose and taste. It was much darker than the first as well. Tasted good and for 9.5% was going down very easily. My only really complaint about this beer is it’s a little thin for my liking. For a BA stout, this is quite thin. It’s good, but all hail the king, Founders Kentucky Breakfast!

MikeHernandez (50) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 12, 2007
Aroma: strong bourbon, oak Appearance: small, dirty-white, head, diminishes Flavor: bourbon, alcohol, and oak initially, finishes with chocolate flavor Palate: creamy texture, average carbonation Overall: Great Beer!

kmweaver (3207) - Petaluma, California, USA - APR 11, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 21, 2007 Rerate: 12oz bottle, again courtesy of Schutzenliesel. Thanks, Tom! This is a different version than the first bottle I rated, and instead it matches the one in the RB picture. Pours an oily brownish-black color; khaki-colored head with solid retention at the edges. Plenty of chewy bourbon and burnt and roasted malts in the aroma; definitely an emphasis on the bourbon barrel, which shows predominantly charred, buttery oak. The mouthfeel is where this batch suffers significantly; rougher bourbon character than the toasty, vanilla-tinged bourbon I remember; much harsher and more astringent; makes one long for the soft, oak-chip quality of the other batch. Lots of charred malts and bitter chocolate coming through. A much rougher version of the original, still showing a solid and dense bourbon character, but a bit harsher. 8.4.7.3.15=3.7.

12oz bottle, courtesy of Schutzenliesel (a freebie from our last tasting). Thanks a bunch, Tom! Pours a dark brown center; light tan head with beautiful lacing. Soft, toasty vanilla aroma: sweet bourbon and milk chocolate and marshmallow. Smells more like oak chips than a bourbon barrel, to be honest. Medium-to-full, chewy mouthfeel: light bourbon and vanilla notes, well-integrated with a light, milk-chocolate-dominated imperial stout; warm, oaky and marshmallow presence; again, I’m getting oak chips more than the typical complexity of barrel aging (seems too soft), but I’m still really enjoying this. Maybe I’m a bad person, but this is really soft, tasty, bourbon-tinged vanilla goodness. Lovely, layered stuff, with enough taste and complexity to justify itself. Lengthy, vanilla and milk chocolate finish. 8.4.9.4.17=4.2.

adrian910ss (2588) - Doylestown, PA, USA - APR 11, 2007
12 oz bottle courtesy of Chris via trade. Pours a very dark muddy brown color, tinkering on black, with a medium brownish beige head. Aroma of vanilla oak, coconut, baking chocolate and bourbon. Taste is of dark chocolate, vanilla abstract, oaked wood with a bourbon finish. Very good, yet slightly different tasting than other barrel aged stouts. Unique.

Skyview (6093) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - APR 9, 2007
Thank you again Badgerben for sharing this Central Wisconsin brew. Pours a semi opaque black brew with a tan head. Aroma of old oak, vanilla, some coconut, and (or course) bourbon. Flavor is of roated dark barley malt, vanilla, the bourbon and sweet chocolate. Very smooth mouth with a smooth aftertaste. I could not tell this had high alcohol until later.

oh6gdx (26488) - Vasa, FINLAND - APR 7, 2007
Bottled (Thanks heemer77). Rubyish brown colour, small off-white head. Aroma is roasted malts, vanilla, chocolate, ryebread and a bit barrel hints. Flavour is vanilla, alcohol, spices, some bourbony hints. Still a bit empty in my opinion. Hides the 9.5% well.