overall
Brewed by Brouwerij De Troch
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Ternat-Wambeek, Belgium

RATINGS: 416   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.3/5   EST. CALORIES: 105   ABV: 3.5%
Chapeau Banana Lambic is a clear, golden beer with no head. It is made from water, malt, wheat, hops, yeast, sugar, flavor, and banana (20%).

bmxutos (161) - Lisboa, PORTUGAL - FEB 11, 2006
Bottle, 25cl. Hmmm. Tasty this one. Probably not a beer but a soft drink. Nevertheless, very enjoyable and funny. This Chapeau is an unclear yellow with a small white head. Aroma of banana with a little sweetness and a few lambic notes. Banana flavour is always present but not overpowering. Must be very fresh, otherwise it will be too much sweet.

0.9
Bart (2938) - Brussels, BELGIUM - DEC 21, 2005
Pale golden colour, small white head, aroma of banana, some herbs, not really convincing, taste is just awfull, never had such a bad lambic-fruit beer, i am very surprised by some other ratings here, i just had to wash it away.

smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - DEC 17, 2005
Bottle - a very strong initial banana nose, which fades to a slightly sour/tart aroma. Looks like an American Standard. Very pale and very clear. A white head that fades quickly. I really like the flavor! Another rater said it was sweet and like banana Sprite. This is about right, but I think I mean it more as a complement than he does. A touch fizzy and light-bodied. I realize I probably shouldn’t like this one ... but I do!

mephisto (1287) - TAIWAN - NOV 1, 2005
yum, like soda. not much aroma or flavor to talk about. sweet and spritey.

1.4
jbrus (4990) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - SEP 30, 2005
Bottled. I knew it when I bought it so I’m actually not entitled to totally yell at this beer. But it sucks. Artificial downgrade of a fine lambic. Why do I keep making the mistake of trying another one?

SoLan (1550) - Florida, USA - SEP 18, 2005
Gold. Miniscule off-white head. Big banana, some wild yeast-aroma. All banana flavor with some yeast, malt, and sweetness. Medium body with a pleasant carbonation level. Very chewy. After drinking this my mouth felt and tasted like I just ate a banana. I don’t like bananas, but enjoyed this very much.

Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 17, 2005
The aroma is much more intense than the flavor. The lambic itself is hiding out in this one. Only slightly acidic as if the banana has smoothed everything out. The banana tastes a little artificial like banana candy (Runts, anyone?). I never thought banana would be a viable option to flavor a lambic, but I guess, when one considers the prevalence of the banana-like flavor of phenols in other brews, it shouldn’t be so surprising. Thanks to redlight for providing this off-kilter experience!

redlight (2318) - Orlando, Florida, USA - SEP 13, 2005
Banana Laffy Taffy in a botlle. I usually don’t like sweet beers but this was amazing. The flavor was great candied banana. The aroma was banan laffy taffy, i kept coming back and smelling the bottle after it was gone. Very interesting beer. Can’t wait to break open the bottle of plum!

Sten (752) - Westerlo, BELGIUM - AUG 20, 2005
A yellow-orange colour with a very small white head. The aroma is that of artificial bananas. A taste of bananas and a lot of sugar. A bit to sweet. (Bottle 25cl)

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - JUL 25, 2005
Beer buddy, Phil, calls from his travels to tell me what he finds and if I want some. This sounded interesting. Banana lambic. Well, I like bananas, so why not. This was pricy but could be worth it. Guess again. It poured a cloudy yellow with almost no head. The aroma was definitely bananas. Well, not so much real bananas as banana flavoring. The flavor was sweet and, surprisingly, had little banana to it. Some said it tasted like Mountain Dew. I didn’t get that, other than it was sweet. Shouldn’t be surprised. Chapeau has failed to impress.