overall
RATINGS: 12   MEAN: 1.94/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.17/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Ingredients: First grade - white maize meal
First grade - malted finger millet/sorghum
Food grade enzymes

omhper (25250) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - MAR 6, 2002
Comes in a leaking cardboard box. Grainy beige/pink appearance. Lambic-ish acidity in the nose. Thick like yoghurt, but much more grainy or mealy - you nearly have to chew it. Surprisingly clean flavour, actually a lot like lambic. Not much flavour in the finish, but it’s difficult to get the meal out of your mouth. A slightly unusual beer...

Oakes (17831) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 13, 2002
First, it’s called ’shake shake’ because it separates. To call this densely sedimented would be a major understatment. Opaque, light brown, no head or discernable carbonation. Aroma is heavily grainy. I guess this is sorghum, but cassava would be an analogy more familiar to me. There are also sour green apples and barnyard. The palate has the same elements, but with less emphasis on the barnyard. The texture (and that is a better word that mouthfeel for this stuff) is kind of fizzy but also rather mealy. Not an unpleasant taste, quite mild, really. Certainly better structure than Victor Beer. However, the way that the grain coats your mouth and sticks to the back of your throat is unpleasant. Get past that, and it’s kind of refreshing. More similarities to kefir than to beer.

1.2
BVery (10609) - Plymouth, Minnesota, USA - AUG 19, 2014
Plastic bottle shared by Caleb - thanks! Murky milky grainy pour. Plastic aroma and taste. Dense grainy mouthfeel. Fun to try.

1.4
arminjewell (9688) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - JAN 1, 2015
Pour out of 1.5L bottle, thanks? to Caleb, after freshly shaken into a curdled oatmeal type appearance, some slight bubbles as well. Aroma is curdled milk, sour fruit, some steeped oatmeal with grainy notes, lots of medicine, sour lacto, protein, not sure how to really describe this. Taste is sour curdled milk with soggy cereal, some lemony fruit into plastic and medicine, finishing slightly tart, grainy. I must say this is interesting, and worth trying, but I won’t look for another pour anytime soon.

JK (6200) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - SEP 5, 2014
A big thanks to Caleb for sharing this. It is certainly one of the most interesting beers I have tried in a long time. Milky white. Lots of sediment and grit. Light sourness and grain. Surprisingly light on the palate somehow. Worth trying for sure. I don’t hate it, but I’m not sure I could drink a whole bottle.

jsquire (4523) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - JUL 2, 2002
I was amazed at this stuff when I visited one of the breweries. It is mixed, cooked, packaged and shipped the same day. The cardboard carton has a vent in it to release the gas. It is really a slurry and it does coat the mouth. There is a lot of acidity in the flavor and if you don’t like that in a Belgian beer, you sure won’t like it in this concoction. Apparently the locals still make a lot of home made chibuku, and I think that Shake Shake is to only commercial one in Zambia. It is a must try, but I don’t ever want to try one again.

Bacterial (3005) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - JUL 29, 2014
Classy 1.5L plastic bottle shared by CLevar, thanks!!! Really wierd slightly pink creamy white in color. No head, but lots of floating bits of white and brown flecks. Mild lactic nose. Chalky mouthfeel. Tart. A bit like kombucha at first. This is growing on me.

durhambeer (2500) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAY 26, 2008
This is the commercialized version of the "village beer" of Malawi, but from the other ratings, I guess it’s also sold in Zambia and possibly other neighboring countries as well. This is a very unique brew. As noted, it’s served in cardboard cartons that swell with the carbonation. Ingredients are maize, water, sorghum, yeast, and enzymes. Pours the color of a vanilla malt with tons of grit and grain in it, hence the "shake shake" to mix it all up. Smells very acidic/vinegary like a Belgian, but simply tastes like white vinegar mixed with cornmeal. Thick, pasty, and gritty. A one-of-a-kind experience, but definitely tough to get down.

Prufrockstar (2132) - Moscow, Idaho, USA - SEP 6, 2014
Tiny pour from a recently shaken plastic bottle, thanks(?) to Caleb. Looks like gritty grey sludge. Smells like a barn. Tastes like vomit. Feels like gritty grey sludge. Reminds me of a vomity protein shake. How the fuck can I even rate this? As far as the way it tastes/smells/looks, I have a hard time going higher than 1; but the overall pleasure of drinking it was a solid 5. Still, I pray I never have to drink this again. Overall: SHAKE SHAKE!

1.2
DalzAle (2037) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - AUG 19, 2014
So I show up at Bacterial’s place, and the first thing they say is, "hey try this!" followed by a room of smirks. I give it a little shake, pour into the glass and witness a concoction of what appears to be thin, curdled Bailey’s Irish cream. Kind of a funky aroma, and tastes of chalk, hominy and sadness. What an odd tick, but worth the rate!