overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4841   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

yankeefan21 (135) - New York, USA - APR 7, 2007
Pours a thick brown with reddish hues and an amber head. You can smell the chocolate and caramel as you sink your nose into the wide mouth of your trappist glass. As you let a mouthfull of beer sit on your tongue, you are struck by the complex tastes of molasses, caramel, and roasted malt as well as the tickle of alcohol. This is an excellent strong ale that must be shared with friends!

yitbos96bb (1) - USA - APR 7, 2007 does not count
Great tasting and wonderfully thick.. very dark with a bitter taste that gets better as you go along.

puzzl (3258) - New York, New York, USA - APR 4, 2007
Jan 07 bottle, 3 months old. Two years rating beers and this is the first time I’ve had this one. Rather dissappointing, this. Aroma is wet, vegetal, macaroni and cheese. Pours with a disturbingly fizzy head. Taste is dry, nutty, but also alarmingly thin. Definitely better than the classless aroma, but it’s hard to be excited at all by this beer. I don’t understand at all how this has been elevated to such a high level. While Chimay’s Tripel was outstanding, this is almost worthless IMO. Perhaps I’ve just got a bad bottle.

Diablo9845 (62) - Barrie, Ontario, CANADA - APR 4, 2007
Bottle @ Chauccers Pub. A fairly unexpected darker beer. Amazingly sweet aroma with floral undertones and a dark sugar smell. Somewhat unexpected dry palate and a nice, but bland, taste. Not too much carbonation. Taste of light chocolate and spices. Overall, I liked this beer, not as much as the ABT12, but still a enjoyable beer with a decent mouth feel and a SENSATIONAL aroma.

nearbeer (5415) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 4, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 21, 2008 330 ml. Beautiful, slightly cloudy chocolate brown with deep red tinges. Huge billowy head settles into a lasting, creamy brown sugar cap leaving nice crusty lacing. Aroma is raisin bread with subtle spice and yeast. Flavor is bread pudding with raisins, rum and not-so-sweet chocolate icing. Slight molasses finish with nice hop on the end. A lot of normally sweet flavors and aromas, but a nice dryness to the yeast balances the sweet notes in this beer. Not as good as the Rocheforts, but tops of the Chimays, and definitely world-class.

Maria (10212) - Thisted, DENMARK - APR 4, 2007
I still remember the first time I tasted the Chimay bleu, I really and utterly hated it. It was long before I started my journey into the world of beers, though. The second time was in the beginning of my rating career, actually it must have been one of the 5 or 10 first, so it must have been in May 2004, and I still didn’t like it, but then again, I really didn’t like the Belgian beers back then. So in July 05 I felt ready to give it another try, and I’m glad I did. It is dark brown with a lot of chunky sediment and the head is beige and nice. The aroma has notes of dark, ripe fruits and a bit of alcohol. The flavour is complex: warming alcohol, plum, raisin, port wine, caramel sweetness and a hint of licorice - and it mingles well into a higher and well balanced unity. I have a few bottles in my cellar, put away for maturing. Yet another good example that out taste develops in our journey in to the world of beers...

beerbill (3618) - Laurel, New York, USA - APR 2, 2007
33 cl bottle. Pours a cloudy medium/dark brown with a moderate, fizzy off-white head that dissipated quickly. Pleasant aroma of sweetgrass, rock candy, and very light roasted malt. The roasted malt is a little stronger in the flavor than in the aroma. Sweetgrass, caramel, and rock candy are present in the flavor as well. A bit of an alcohol burn at the finish, but by no mean excessive. Very solid brew.

berkshirejohn (6499) - Bracknell, Berkshire, ENGLAND - APR 1, 2007
A deep, dark chestnut body with a thick beige head; sweet caramel aroma; full in the mouth, predominantly malty, but with traces of caramel and nut. Very clean, long warming finish.

garthicus (2929) - Dublin, IRELAND - MAR 29, 2007
Caramel scent almost sweet with a floral touch, hints of cherry (to me) , a light brown small head dissapating quickly, has a dark body with a sweet flavour with a long finish. I am enjoying it very much and my face almost flushed after the first sup or two, I shall certainly have this again

LooseCannon (938) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - MAR 28, 2007
11.20 oz bottle. Pours dark brown color with a small light brown head. Sweet malt and caramel aroma. Sweet malty taste with bitter after taste.