overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4587   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

nhorween (645) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 12, 2007
Bottle. Ok, so I can’t believe I’ve never rated this, having it so many times, but here goes. Dark chestnut brown pour with a big, soapy off-white to beige head. Nose is malty and notably belgian. Caramel, dark fruit, slight spiciness, subdued hop notes. Flavor is good - malt, slight smokiness, spicy, light bitterness, anise. Good, but the aftertaste is a tad oily and leaves an artificial sweetner-like coating in my mouth. I appreciate this beers quality in relation to its avialability, but I think there are many better BSAs out there, including many of the American ones I’ve been able to enjoy.

Slayer85 (1051) - Firenze, ITALY - MAY 11, 2007
33 cl bottle. Pours a cloudy very dark brown colour with reddish reflections. The head is big, beige and doesn’t collapse for a long time. the aroma is strong with fruits, malt and winey notes. the flavour has notes of fruits, spices, liquorice and some alcohol. Malty, strong body and light bitterness at the end. Quite long aftertaste. This is a very important beer for me, it was the first Belgian and trappist I tried and I immediately fell in love with this beer: I had never tried a better beer. Hundreds of beer later, I don’t find it still outstanding, simply a very good beer, but it will always have a special place in my heart, because it introduced me to the beer world.

troyc (2869) - Illinois, USA - MAY 10, 2007
(Bottle) Pours a rich dark brown color with an off-white head. Flavor of sweet caramel, Belgian yeast, and dark fruits. Very smooth, especially for the alcohol content. A great beer, and much better than the other Chimay’s in my opinion.

THORFINN74 (5) - USA - MAY 10, 2007 does not count
Hailsa ! This is why the Vikings raided monastaries ! Rich brown colour smooth cream head. It sifts in over the tounge like silk. A woody malt flavor is beautiful. Top it off with an alcohol content that will knock the horns of your helmet. from a 750

tjp68 (31) - Washington, Missouri, USA - MAY 7, 2007
Very dark with a creamy head. Alcohol is well hidden, but warms the throat and stomach quickly! Like drinking a fruit cake, but a good fruit cake. From a 750.

FastEddie (230) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - MAY 4, 2007
Ample brownish head that diminishes rapidly. The color is a very dark and cloudy brown. The flavor is sweet and malty, and has very little presence of hops. The alcohol content is very apparent in the flavor, and the carbonation is ample and enjoyable.

Adenila (1560) - DENMARK - MAY 4, 2007
Dark brown with a thick baige head. Aroma is very fruity and a little spicy. Flavor of darkfruits and honneycake, almost no bitterness. Extremly smooth palate and a warming finish. My friends two year old boy took a zip and wanted more, thats a sign of a quality brew!

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 4, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 3, 2007 I’m re-rating this beer as I had it a long time ago, and had it again alongside the other two varieties of Chimay commonly available in the US (white and red) yesterday. And I have to say that with the benefit of quite a bit more beer experience since my last rating, that I significantly over-rated this beer in my previous rating. Yesterday, I found this beer is extremely mild, and while certainly not unpleasant or bad, I found it to be a bit boring. Of the three varieties I had yesterday, this was definitely my least favorite. Appearance was a dark brown/almost black color with a decently-formed whitish head with limited staying power. Aroma was very mild and faint. I got roasted malt and a bit of alcohol, but not much else. Flavor was the highlight of this beer, but even that I found mild-mannered and rather unremarkable compared to other dark Belgian (or Belgian-style) beers I’ve had. A bit of roastiness and some alcohol, but not much else that you might expect like spiciness or fruit. Mouthfeel was not bad, but unremarkable. So I’m left to explain why so many think so much of this beer while I’m the odd-duck who’s unimpressed. And my hypothesis is this - that many folks (me among them) try this beer when first expanding their beer horizons, are wildly impressed by the difference, but haven’t yet revisited (as I’m now doing) to compare against the craft/import beer adventures they’ve had since breaking out with Chimay Blue. Sound plausible?

mkofron (155) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 2, 2007
750ml - Pours dark brown with nice tan head. Fruity aroma and taste, mild warmth from alcohol. Not in the same league as Rochefort 8.

RiverHorse (457) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 2, 2007
This really is a top notch beer. I have the red, the white, and now the blue. I loved the complexity of this beer and how the yeast and malt really come together on the tip your tongue. The aftertaste was lingering and sweet and perfect. Excellent Belgian Strong.