overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4841   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

jackson220 (136) - new lenox, Illinois, USA - MAR 5, 2007
This one pours a very dark, cloudy brown color with a medium sized off-white head. The aroma is strongly sweet, with hints of malts, yeast, and spices. Full bodied and very fruity, the flavor is rich with tones of yeast and spices.wonderful mouthfeel, the finish is long and sweet. TaStY!!!, quite a nice Belgian ale. Dear God, when I die, can I wake up in a vat of fine Belgian ale. I’m not picky, at long as it is in a vat of Westveleteren 12, Westmalle Tripel, or if I barely make it to heaven.... Chimay. promise...I will be extra good from now on....promise...really

joebrew (608) - Farewell Minny; Hello Puyallup, Washington, USA - MAR 5, 2007
Pours a burnt brownish color with a nice tan head. A salty almost meaty nose with hints of toffee, chocolate, and a spicy yeatiness. A nice creamy mouthfeel that brings me back to Belgium when I consumed way to many goblets of this deliciious spicy, ripe fruit, and slight alcohol burn nectar of the gods.

rm0312 (36) - Idaho, USA - MAR 5, 2007
This is an amazing beer. It was the first of the Belgians I had tasted and it is still my favorite.

cgarvieuk (24462) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - MAR 5, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 12, 2014 A deep brown colour, with a rich full fruit malt with a hint of chocolate and a little spice.4.3 (may 2007) ...

WOW that long well here goes ... 2008 bottle drunk may 2014 ... deep brown ... thin tan lacing ... dark sweet blackcurrant fruit nose ... sweet malts ... dark berries ... dark fruits... big berries ... soft blackcurrant ovaltine 3.9

pineypower (3325) - Ocean County, New Jersey, USA - MAR 4, 2007
Realized I never rated this beer, so it was just an excuse to have it again. Pours out a deep mahogany color with a small white head. Aroma is sweet with a note of spice. Flavor is complex, yeasty earthy flavors fade to some roasted malt spice and a slight hop finish. Great beer

Brewpot (21) - West Burlington, Iowa, USA - MAR 4, 2007
Pours a beautiful deep, dark copper color with ruby highlights. Complex aroma; fresh and earthy. Complex flavor as well; starts off sweet and turns tart and dry for the finish. As this ale warms in my glass, it becomes less sweet and the malts take on a roasted quality. Very nice beer! Serve chilled, not cold.

CheersMate (1343) - Portland (Sellhood), Oregon, USA - MAR 3, 2007
I like St. Bernardus better than I do this, but I did enjoy this beer. A dark brown caramel color, is the best way for me to describe the appearance of this beer. Definitely a decent beer, and worthy of a beer lovers tastebuds. This beer was sweet, dark fruits come to mind. The head was excellent, it didn’t get in the way of my drinking, as some heads have been known to do. Even though there is a high alcohol content it affect the beer, but enhanced its qualities. I only have one negative thing to say about this beer and that is the aroma was quite weak, other than that I was very pleased with this beer.

GaltScat (195) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 2, 2007
Very little for aroma from this dark amber trappiste with a large head. Flavor of yeast, flowers, hops, malt, spice. Alcohol was noticeable and tingly to the palate but not on the finish. A rather light flavor the was well balanced.

DrD (61) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - MAR 2, 2007
One of the truly great brews. Period. A must try. Period. Any attempt to describe its flavor (especially by analogy to other consumables) will come up at lest a bit short.

dj (620) - Greater London, ENGLAND - MAR 2, 2007
Bottle, served in a Chimay glass. A dark brown colour with a small head. Aroma is malty and sweet. Taste is very malty with chocolate and bread/yeast.Very sweet. Moderate carbonation. Too sweet for my liking.