overall
RATINGS: 37   MEAN: 3.42/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.37/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Our next stout in our rotating Blast Furnace Stout series is a Coconut Stout. I noticed in my three years here that our stout sales decline in the summer months. Most people don’t want to struggle with a nice thick stout in the summer months when they are looking to cool off. I however love a nice stout in the hot months, so I felt a compromise was in order. When I think of summer, three things pop into my mind: baseball, the 4th of July, and coconut. Alright, maybe coconut doesn’t make me think of summer but I like it and I’m in charge now so let’s see if we can shake things up a bit. This recipe is a twist on my Milk Stout that debuted back in November. It is the basic recipe for the Milk Stout except I added a considerable amount more chocolate malt and scaled back the roast barley. Also, I added some oats for everyone who misses our Oatmeal Stout. I also added twenty pounds of lactose into the boil. The coconut comes into play in the serving tank. I added twenty-five pounds of unsweetened coconut flakes into the serving tank. When the cooling jackets are turned on the oils from the flakes will mix with the brew giving the beer a subtle hint of coconut. When tasting this beer you will notice the chocolate malt up front on your tongue. This will give way to a subtle taste of coconut in the finish and in the back of your throat. With the addition of lactose you will also pick up a malty sweetness. The hop bill was kept low so that it would not overpower the sweetness and the coconut. I hope through this beer that everyone will think of coconut when they think of summer

hayduke (5203) - Eureka, California, USA - AUG 30, 2016
On draft at brewery during RBSG 2016. Pours near black with a tan head. Nose of roasted malts and coconuts. Media plus body. Flavor is chocolate and coconut with a bitter finish. Nice.

jtclockwork (16581) - , New Jersey, USA - JUL 20, 2016
Draft - pours black tan head - nose/taste of coconut, milk chocolate and light vanilla - medium body

Travlr (24665) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - JUL 15, 2016
Draft at the source. Dark maroon color. Nice aroma of coconut on a roast background. Taste is sweet coconut and cocoa. Very tasty and easy to drink.

djd07 (14469) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 14, 2016
On tap at the brewery. Pours a very dark brown with small beige head that lasts. The aroma is strong cocoa and roast. Medium body, nice sweetness from coconut, chocolate, light roast finish, very good.

Strykzone (7355) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - JUL 14, 2016
Sampled at the brewey. Coconut leads and works well. Earth and chocolate. Not much roast. Bread and raisins. Good and drinkable.

gsmitty80 (2130) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 6, 2015
Didn't like this one as much as other coconut stouts. Maybe the coconut was just not pronounced enough for me and only had a vague milky taste and not in a good milk stout way.

MarkSachon (1023) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 27, 2015
Sampler at Giant Eagle in Pittsburgh, PA A bit on the weak side and could have been heavier bodied, a common problem with Church Brew Works.

LilBeerDoctor (3930) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 6, 2013
On tap. Pours a dark brown with a thin tan head. Aroma of chocolate malt, lactose, roasted malt, sweet malt. Flavor of coconut initially followed by chocolate malt, lactose, light roast, and more toasted coconut. Palate is slightly thin but overall very tasty and plenty of coconut! 7/4/8/4/14 (3.7/5)

nike (966) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 10, 2013
draft, poured a black color with a small tan head. The aroma was malty. The flavor was bitter, watery and thin feel with strong coconut that just overtook the flavor, with a hint of malty chocolate undertone. The finish was long, and dry with lingering coconut. Ok.

Nate (4279) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 24, 2013
On tap at Benjamin’s. Light roasted malt with a bit of acrid smoke, lactose sweetness and a hint of coconut and chocolate. Dark black opaque with creamy light tan lacing head. Medium body with medium carbonation. Starts medium dry with roasted and lightly burnt malt. Coconut flavor with some coffee and chocolate, and a bit of carbonic acidity. Finish is sweet with coconut and vanilla and mild nutty bitterness. A little watery.