overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 379   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
What you have here is an Imperial Dark Rye Ale. Isn’t that a lot to be going on in just one beer? Well yes, it is. But that is the point. Layers. Flavor elements building on and playing off of preceding elements, like a building wave; a growing crescendum of taste bud temptation; a wall of sound expressed through flavor and channeled toward your mouth. This beer isn’t for everyone. In many ways it is more than just a little weird. It certainly doesn’t fit easily into any category. In the spirit of all great things that are conceived in the moment, but perfected through passionate repetition it started life as an improvisation and grew from there. And it might not be for you. But if the thought of big spicy rye notes, a wallop of a hop punch, multitudinous layers of caramel, sweet malt and a respectable balancing gravity sound intriguing then you might want to wing it and give Improv a try.

boamr (310) - Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 28, 2009
Bottle thanks to dmac. Pours a dark brown nice off white head. Has the smell of dark fruit, wood, rye, booze and hops. Taste is all over place like the smell with rye, hops and coffee as the dominate flavors. Another CC Im not all that impressed with

kenwall17 (284) - new york, New York, USA - FEB 1, 2012
Dark brown pour with thin tan head. The flavors are stronger up front than on the back. The alcohol being more prevalent in the latter.

nbondi (250) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 13, 2012
Dark maple brown with somewhat yellowish thin head. Nose of sweet ripe fruit, pine, milk chocolate, caramel. Medium-heavy body with good carbonation. Tastes of oatmeal, chocolate, pine, juicy oranges. Big resinous biting finish that lasts. Scales aren’t very balanced...maybe a bit too bitter without the malt to back it up.

41cubs (250) - , New Jersey, USA - JAN 26, 2011
Really nice one. Spicy on every note from start to finish. There is a spark of sharp flavors like caraway and pine and earthy chili that carries this beer throughout. The hop bite at the finish is an outstanding exclamation point put on this intriguing statement of emancipated grains. The rye gives a kick and the oats round out the whole deal. I saved the aroma for the end because it’s the star here for sure. There is a sexiness in the aroma that pulls you in with a pronounced herbaceous, spicy, seedy grain front and a subtle smokiness. Really unique and interesting. Thank You Cigar City. 2010 750ml.

TomTiedemann (249) - Levittown, New York, USA - JAN 31, 2012
on tap at blind tiger. it was a brown color (slightly dark) with an off white head. aroma was little roasty and had hints of spice and caramel scents. caramel taste and first with little bitter pinch in the end of citrus. very nice selection from chalsk and my first cigar city

sepia5 (237) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 16, 2010
UPDATED: SEP 23, 2013 This is the first bottle from Cigar City that I’ve sampled, and I did so with much anticipation. Unfortunately, I wasn’t too impressed. Or perhaps more accurately stated, this just is not my cup of tea. I make this distinction because I could tell this was a well-brewed beer: it had a good mouth feel, it was somewhat complex, and on the whole it did leave me with the distinct impression that it was brewed by someone that knows what they’re doing. That said, I couldn’t get past the primary flavor profile, which I’m not even sure how to describe. I initially thought it might be cardamom, but I’m just not sure. Sorting through some of the Ratebeer reviews below, one really sticks out to me and that is from someone who described the Improvisacion as "medicinal" and as tasting of band aides. I dunno what it was, but I wasn’t crazy about it, and it left a strong aftertaste that I even woke up with. I almost wonder if there aren’t some quality control problems with this offering. . . . EDIT: I previously gave this a 2.9 rating several years ago when Cigar City was a relatively young brewery, although it may have actually been the oatmeal rye stout bearing the same name that I reviewed back then. Cigar City does so many iterations of its beers that it can be difficult to keep up. I actually stayed away from this offering for a long time because my first experience with it was so bad. I gave this another try and am really glad I did. The beer pours a dark mahogany with a big, frothy tan head. There’s lots of wood and spicy rye on the nose. Flavor is similar, with dark chocolate and espresso in there as well. I really enjoyed this beer the second time around.

brainlair (236) - Maryland, USA - MAY 31, 2010
750mL bottle, courtesy of erice. Pours a deep translucent reddish brown with a bit of slightly tan white head. Aroma has lots of sweet fruit, raisins, alcohol, and some chocolate. Taste has lots of malt, some herbal notes, alcohol, and some fruit. Sort of heavy handed with too much alcohol and herbal flavor.

thunderhops (224) - Vermont, USA - OCT 27, 2012
Tap at Prohibition pig. Pours dark brown with creamy tan head and good lace. Aroma dark coffee, bread, chocolate, taste is dark strong coffee, rye, slight spice, dark chocolate. full body, smooth malt finish

BigSound (196) - New York, USA - MAR 19, 2012
From notes. Pours a murky brown that yields a two finger head of tightly compacted light tan bubbles. It’s a little tricky picking out the different notes in the nose of this beer, I do get a little rye and some sweet smells but I can’t put my finger on them. First sip all I can notice is a masive amount of carbonation, with a little bit of bitterness on the finish. I get just a little bit of oatmeal and rye but the zippy carbonation is really in the way. The alcohol is pretty well masked for being 9%.