overall
RATINGS: 1793   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Jai Alai India Pale Ale pays tribute to the original extreme sport. Jai Alai, a game native to the Basque region of Spain, is played on a court called a fronton. Jai Alai players attempt to catch a ball using a curved mitt, whilst the ball travels at speeds of up to 188 miles per hour! Proving they have a sense of humor the Spanish dub this game, with its ball traveling at race car speeds, """"the merry game."""" Tampa was once home to a busy Jai Alai fronton but sadly all that remains of Jai Alai in the Tampa Bay area is this India Pale Ale that we brew in tribute to the merry game. The India Pale Ale style of beer has its roots in the strong ales sent from England to thirsty British troops in India during the 18th century. To survive the journey the beers needed more alcohol and more hops (which act as a natural preservative). This ďbigĒ brewing practice made India Pale Ale one of the first """"extreme beers"""" and a favorite among the Queens military men in India. Eventually it became a favorite style of the new crop of American brewers seeking more flavor and complexity than mass-market brewers were willing to offer.

raradel (343) - Atlanti Beach, Florida, USA - MAY 23, 2011
This beer is no joke, i would swim in this, I am dreaming of this while I am still awake, This is great, sign me up for another.

Bamaboy1975 (242) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - OCT 27, 2013
"Jai Alai, the "merry game," is a game native to the Basque region of Spain. Tampa was once home to this high speed game, but sadly all that remains here is this India Pale Ale that we brewed in tribute to the merry game. Pair Jai Alai India Pale Ale with Empanadas, Deviled Crabs and other spicy dishes." Brewed in the style of an American IPA. Available as a year round release, finally trickling back into Georgia after a far too long absence from Atlanta markets. Best savor it as fresh as possible! Poured from a 12 oz. can to a snifter. Served north of 56º Fahrenheit. (Appearance) Pours a silky foam of an ivory complexion over a deep copper orange body with moderate carbonation. Retention is above average, lacing is light and spotty. 4 (Smell) Heavy tropical fruit hop aromas with a lesser citrus and resinous influence, very potent and bold, inviting with a moderate bitterness to balance. Malts are a clean but equally bold pale and caramel syrup. Overall the hop profile in this beer is profound and I haven't found something that hits quite the same hop notes and comes off as appealing as this beer does aromatically. Potency is high. 4.5 (Taste) The first taste experience reveals a seemingly dampened hop experience with a focus on the light yet flavorful caramel malt profile. The hop flavor comes in wonderfully on the finish, a sweet and flavorful tropical fruit encore of pineapple, melons and mangoes, barring the sharper citrus and lemon hop notes, it comes off bright and clean. Hop bitterness is mellow but perseveres in the flavor without overshadowing the hop flavor. This could have easily been made an abrasive and bitter mess of an IPA, but I appreciate that Cigar City made a highly drinkable, clean beer with a more unique showcasing of hop flavor. It really stands out amongst the IPA crowd. 4.25 (Mouthfeel) Texture is slick and sweet with a touch of thin caramel syrup. Carbonation adds a touch of thin crispness and froth without going overly sharp on the tongue. Body is medium for an American IPA, just shy of medium amongst all beer. Alcohol is well tucked away for this beer. Balance is neither too sweet nor too bitter, one can enjoy the lightness and balance of this beer's flavor as a standout in what makes it so memorable. 4 (Overall) When I heard this hit markets again locally (cans only and just yesterday- likely gone by now) I made sure to grab a six pack of this fantastic IPA. It avoids many of the cliches of pretentious standard IPAs- the beer is not overly bitter, not heavily pronounced on acidic, citrusy hop notes, and isn't overly sweet and cloying. This beer is certainly a solid all-around drinkable India Pale Ale. I hope to see it return to Georgia markets again full time in the near future: It would be a welcome regular for a great many craft beer fanatics, myself included. 4.25 ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

grilligan (1) - Nova Scotia, CANADA - NOV 8, 2013 does not count
Not overly sour or bitter but will still pucker your mouth, one of the most perfectly balanced beers I have tried with nice fruity and floral tones. Minimal sweetness. Amber colour with mild opaqueness. Lingering sourness/bitterness. Almost no head when poured properly. A very fine brew that I will be keeping an eye out for.

Paulmparsons1 (14) - - JAN 28, 2014
I love cigar City and this is a really special IPA. It has a great grapefruit taste. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

laurenlm (6) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JAN 31, 2017 does not count
Terrific IPA! The hops in this beer lend fruity flavors and aromas making this IPA so much more than just another bitter IPA. I wish this distributed in St. Louis, because I would drink it all the time.

josanguapo (1616) - SPAIN - FEB 19, 2017
From Saveur-Biere. In Teku glass. Playing Technobabylon. Smoothness and refreshness are its more remarkable qualities. Full.of tropical fruits with a non-agressive bitterness inciting to drink more

raybo8 (1) - Palm Coast, Florida, USA - MAY 13, 2017 does not count
Best IPA Iíve had lately. Up there with Southern Tier!!! Barkeep at Beaches in Vilano Beach recommended it to me.

bedainedebiere (536) - Terrebonne, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 9, 2010
UPDATED: AUG 2, 2010 MY GOD! Tap at Abbey in Deland... Best IPA (maybe beer) I ever had. Tropical fruit aroma and taste, mango and pineapple effect caused by the intense hopping, this beer is unique to me. Some sweetness, fruity esters and, above all, that litterally magnificient apt hoppiness, sharp and smooth, with amazing depth. I feel (and somehow fear) this beer was some kind of beautiful dream; I hope Iíll have this dream a lot more in my life!

Danny1217 (81) - Miami, Florida, USA - JAN 21, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 11, 2013 One of my favorite IPAs. I canít even begin to describe how good this smells. The earthy floral smell just pops out form this bottle. And the taste is similarly good. Very smooth, slightly dry. Delicious.

Kenwiley (1) - Grimes, Iowa, USA - SEP 19, 2013 does not count
Very good aroma. Nice citrus and fruity aroma. Very good grapefruit nose. Enjoyed a couple, purchased in the Marketplace at a resort hotel in Orlando, and was surprised to see it was canned 9 days ago. Very fresh! I REALLY liked it, and I love IPAís. not a killer hoppy beer, so my wife could enjoy it also. Pretty rare that happens since she usually doesnít like the hoppy beers that I enjoy. This was a perfect beer for us as I didnít have to settle for a "compromise" beer. Iíll buy more to send home since I suspect I can only buy it in Florida........for now. Something this good needs distribution everywhere!