Cigar City Final Push Imperial Stout

overall
Formerly brewed at Cigar City Brewing
Style: Imperial Stout
Tampa, Florida USA

RATINGS: 150   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Imperial Stout aged on kopi luwak coffee, vanilla and cacao nibs

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
j12601 (9689) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - SEP 16, 2011
Pouring at the Blind Tiger for Mikes 50th birthday extravaganza. Pours a deep jet black, with no head. Ill have to agree that this one may have been better on nitro, and thats a rarity since I usually think nitro is overused. Huge coffee on the nose, blows away any other coffee beers I can think of for the amount of Im pretty sure this is coffee, and not a beer with coffee in it that I was getting. Deep roast, just loads of it, one dimensional really, nothing but roast and coffee. Like drinking an iced coffee, sort of too much. Long coffee and roast. Light alcohol on the finish. Still awesome, but maybe a bit too much.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
italarican (1543) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - SEP 15, 2011
On tap at Blind Tiger in honor of Mike Eyedrinkale; thanks Victor (if you actually got me any of this). Pours a good looking thick, syrupy black with a slight polish to it. Aroma is massive of espresso and chocolate liqueur. Flavor is similar: primarily delicious espresso with a bit of chocolate liqueur. Velvety and thick body with loads of fresh coffee in the finish. This was a bit simplistic but just too ridiculously delicious to rate lower.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
zdk (1871) - New York, New York, USA - SEP 15, 2011
Tap at Blind tiger for Mikes B-day bash - Big thanks to EDA for saving this keg when he knew Id be there (haha). Arouma is sweetened espresso, creamy body, dark chocolate and milky pine and plenty of oak. Sweet dark malts, with a lingering dryness some boozey heat and carbonic acids. Not much complexity, actually. I hear (from Andy) that its better on nitro.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jredmond (7787) - New York, New York, USA - SEP 14, 2011
UPDATED: OCT 11, 2016 Draft at blind tiger with Brendan, barons, Andrew and streets. First thing this reminds me of is the mikkeller beer geek weasel. Pours a pitch black body with no head, no lacing. Aroma is full of the richest, most delicious coffee, chocolate and smooth roast. Mouthfeel is medium to thick with notes of perfected coffee, tobacco, roast, light tart, and some chocolate in the background. #2200

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
hivemind (893) - New York, New York, USA - SEP 14, 2011
On tap at Blind Tiger with Andy, Streets, James. Dark pour with no real head. Aroma is intense sweet resin and alcohol. Palate is smokey coffee with dark, dark chocolate malts. Pretty unique. Medium-bodied and drinkable. Gets points for complexity.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pwn3d (1962) - Manhattan, New York, USA - SEP 14, 2011
On tap at blind tiger. Rich coffee syrupy flavor... Reminds me of the weasel breakfast. Pour is near black with tabacco and rich roast espresso aroma. Little bit of sharpy marker, tobacco, and espresso in the mouth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
callmemickey (4344) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 9, 2011
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2013 A: Dark black-brown body. Thin dark brown collar with a whispy skim. Traces of foam left behind on the glass. S: Dellicate but assertive coffee notes. Light milk chocolate and hints of vanilla and caramel. T: Roasted coffee, chocolate, creamy brownies, and caramel. Well disquised booze. M: Smooth and creamy with moderate carbonation. Fuller bodied, but certainly manageable. O: I havent had the regular Zhukov to compare this to, but this is clearly a quality imperial stout. Hard to say whether kopi luwak really did much here -- I didnt get much in the way of that earthy coffee note that I have gotten in other kopi luwak beers. Regardless, I enjoyed it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
cheap (5425) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 4, 2011
Thanks to ______, I had an opportunity to try this at the 2nd Pgh Tasting on the 2nd. Im not telling you who gave me a glass from the screw top bottle because I dont want him to get hatemail because of me! Either way, I was really glad to have the chance to rate a beer that floridians consider one of the best, heheh. First off, my immature palate is not refined enough to be allowed to rate such a refined(?) big beer, so sue me. If you are a lover of CC then take my number and subtract it from 5 and get your real rating. From the beginning I knew this was going to be something else; weird looking screw top squatty bottle with a lable that had hand written FINAL PUSH on it. Pouring into the glass it looks like used 50W shovelhead motor oil. Coating the glass it seems to be staining it dark brown. Smell? Atttack of coffee on the olfactory. Did I say it smells like big coffee espresso? Sorry, I just recovered after hitting my head on the wall behind me. No head. Initially, all I tste in this stuff is big black triple espresso cold. Perhaps there is some alky in there but the flavor is so overwhelming coffee I cant stand it; over the top and way too much personality for this mockery of a beer. I dont know how stuff like this can be considered beer. OK, after my taste buds recover I do taste come tobacco and pepper in there, perhaps. From beginning to end this is nothing new in the coffee stout scene. Yes, special, perhaps but there are so many other beers out there with these characteristics; over the top roto-tilling burnt coffee and a little alky. Finish reminds me of grampas cold espresso with whiskey in it. Big thanks to the guy, you know who you are, that gave this too me to rate. I am very fortunate to have had the chance to taste this. However, it reminds me of the big let down I experienced when tasting all those top 50 impy stouts when I first started rating beers here.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lithy (2996) - Capital of Appalachia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 3, 2011
Truly pitch black, quick dark dark milk chocolate cover. Aroma is very earthy, soil, roast, light alcohol. Taste is sweet, roast, chocolate, earthy coffee. If the aroma had the chocolate the taste did it would be better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
bvc (1241) - Washington, USA - SEP 1, 2011
32oz growler shared by scrivvv and sent by solan...thanks guys. The appearance of this beer is really something to see. Motor oil black, viscous, coats the glass in a way that turns it to amber tint. Thick rich crema head that is quite possibly the darkest in color Ive ever seen. In the most simplistic way I can describe it, it is full of rich cold coffee and sweet lactic undertones. Earthy, ashy, toasted nuts, burnt sugar, prunes, dried cherries, some metallic hints. Such a full creamy mouth feel, heavy and dense. Very much rich in coffee and balanced out with the dense malt. Much better than the first growler I had and the sample at gabf last year.