overall

RATINGS: 152   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Imperial Stout aged on kopi luwak coffee, vanilla and cacao nibs

notalush (5867) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 19, 2010
GABF 2010 - I do my fair share of hating on CCB every once in a while, but I have to tip my hat to them on this one - viscous black pour with a dense tan head - rich, creamy mouthfeel - hearty, fresh coffee flavor, with intense roast and bitterness, but not at all astringent - a bit of anise and charred wood, but the coffee is so rich and balanced - this is only the second beer I have had with the coffee, and both have been awesome - it makes me wonder if the coffee is just that awesome that it will make any beer you put it in phenomenal - anyway, well done CCB!

cheap (5799) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 4, 2011
Thanks to ______, I had an opportunity to try this at the 2nd Pgh Tasting on the 2nd. Iím not telling you who gave me a glass from the screw top bottle because I donít want him to get hatemail because of me! Either way, I was really glad to have the chance to rate a beer that floridians consider one of the best, heheh. First off, my immature palate is not refined enough to be allowed to rate such a refined(?) big beer, so sue me. If you are a lover of CC then take my number and subtract it from 5 and get your real rating. From the beginning I knew this was going to be something else; weird looking screw top squatty bottle with a lable that had hand written FINAL PUSH on it. Pouring into the glass it looks like used 50W shovelhead motor oil. Coating the glass it seems to be staining it dark brown. Smell? Atttack of coffee on the olfactory. Did I say it smells like big coffee espresso? Sorry, I just recovered after hitting my head on the wall behind me. No head. Initially, all I tste in this stuff is big black triple espresso cold. Perhaps there is some alky in there but the flavor is so overwhelming coffee I canít stand it; over the top and way too much personality for this mockery of a beer. I donít know how stuff like this can be considered beer. OK, after my taste buds recover I do taste come tobacco and pepper in there, perhaps. From beginning to end this is nothing new in the coffee stout scene. Yes, special, perhaps but there are so many other beers out there with these characteristics; over the top roto-tilling burnt coffee and a little alky. Finish reminds me of grampaís cold espresso with whiskey in it. Big thanks to the guy, you know who you are, that gave this too me to rate. I am very fortunate to have had the chance to taste this. However, it reminds me of the big let down I experienced when tasting all those top 50 impy stouts when I first started rating beers here.

Rciesla (5499) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - APR 23, 2010
#4500, also moves me to #7 Stoutie (currently at 714 rates). RBWG, Draft at Redlight-Redlight, without a doubt the best beer iíve had all weekend and honestly in a very long time before that. Give that stout and more so coffee toned stouts are my favorite style this should not come as a surprise, furthermore iím dying to have Kopi Lowak Alesmith given that i enjoy the base beer slightly better. Pours an abyss of a body with a thick black body and a coffee tan head that coats the glass. What a rich coffee esk aroma that reaches your senses as its pouring, like coffee brewing. Espresso, coffee roastiness, dark underlying fruits but subdued to rich dark chocolate tones, the ultimate dessert. Milkshake like hints, etoh is completely masked and only benefits the complexity of this ale. Chewy coffee espresso and a rich chocolate and coffee finish. Utterly fantastic, THANK YOU CCB!!

burg326 (5479) - Florida, USA - SEP 25, 2011
Poured a pitch black sludge that stains the glass sides, when it touches it. Aromas of fresh roasted malts, and roasted coffee. Tastes like an cold cup of strong coffee, with some vanilla, chocolate, and no bitterness what so ever. Doesnít taste like this beer should be 11%, and really good overall, very surprised on this one, and amazing.

markwise (5441) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - MAR 17, 2010
Wow. I had this one on a nitro tap from Redlight for RBWG. Holy hell. This beer pours a thick, menacing midnight black with a dark tan head. She foamed head for a little bit then settled like a rabid beast into my glass. The aroma erupted of coffee, earth, roast, malt, and all manner of goodness. Flavor did not disappoint and the mouthfeel was what Dark Lord aspires to and still gets kicked in the ass. Thick and viscous, amazingly tasty... this is up there with the "damn near perfect beer" club.

beerguy101 (5360) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 22, 2010
Sampled at GABF on 9/18/2010. This Imperial Stout pours an eclipse black color from the tap. Medium sized white foamy head. The aroma is coffee, chocolate, some vanilla and then some more coffee. A full bodied Imperial Stout. The malts are chocolate and coffee, touch of vanilla and raisins. Hops are herbal and earthy. Good balance. Nice carbonation. Some bitterness at the finish as well as a bunch of residual sweetness. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and very smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

Dickinsonbeer (5074) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - SEP 12, 2010
Tap at Redlight at RBWG 2010. Pours a deep dark oily black with a massive sticky bright orange head and good lace. Aroma is insanely fresh powerful coffee, clean roasted, not dirty, herbal, fresh, creamy, nutty light chocolate, and just smooth fresh coffee and big espresso all around. Flavor is intense coffee, fresh roasted, bright, with hints of leather, chocolate, tootsie roll, sweet toffee, caramel, roasted barley and a cream smooth fresh coffee finish with a moderate bitterness from the roasted grains and coffee. Smooth as silk finish. Awesome!

Thorpe429 (5035) - , Illinois, USA - JUN 9, 2012
Huge, huge thanks to ygtbsm94 for sharing this growler. Served in a snifter. Pours black with a really nice mocha head. Good retention and spotty lacing with a thin collar throughout. The nose has a really nice bit of coffee. Really intense and great coffee aroma with excellent notes of chocolate with a light bit of roast in the background. Flavor is intense coffee followed by dark chocolate and a touch of sweetness. Body is full with no alcohol and plenty of coffee. Smooth, smooth finish. Absolutely fantastic. Much better than any of the BA Hunahpuís.

AdamChandler (4977) - Enfield, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 29, 2016
oily black, crema head chocolate looking. aroma is an ashy barreled bourbon smoked. Flavor is tobacco, vanilla, bourbon, rye, peppery with chocolate and hard candies. the mouthfeel steals the show though. itís thick and substantial. kegged August 27th of 2016 (which is why this should be unretired. it was a new batch)

nickd717 (4648) - San Francisco, California, USA - SEP 21, 2010
Rating #2200! Ticked this beer on draft. Pours black in color, and thick, with a well-formed tan head that is typical of Cigar City beers. They really do tend to nail the appearance. The aroma has big notes of delicious weasel crap coffee. Yes I can tell the difference. Besides that, a big base stout with dark chocolate and coffee shines through. The flavor is not quite as amazing as the aroma, but is still excellent. Just a little heavy on the char, but the coffee flavor is great and well-integrated. Big, rich, dark malts form the base, lending roasty and toasty and chocolatey notes. Some anise in there as well. Very full and thick on the mouthfeel. Carbonation is rather low, as it should be, but not nonexistent. Awesome beer overall, and if there was a score for the name of the beer, this would get perfect marks considering I laughed out loud when I got the double entendre. Keep up the good work, Joey, Wayne, and co, and send some beer out to the wasteland of northern CA!