overall
RATINGS: 97   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.54/5   ABV: -
Brewed at former G. Heileman flagship plant.

ccex (1365) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 3, 2011
Contrary to rumors posted all over the internet, this is not the original recipe for Heilman’s Old Style, although it’s brewed at the same place. The only reason you will want to try this is because it’s cheaper than other 30-packs of canned beers you despise. Pours a normal yelow with very little head. Aroma is full of corn and sour apples, with a slight metallic aftertaste.

BVery (11361) - Plymouth, Minnesota, USA - SEP 5, 2011
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2013 Tap at Bodega in La Crosse, WI. Not much going on with this beer - pale yellow pour with a small white head. Kind of a foul nose of stale grain. Very light palate. Taste is corn and grain - simple and boring.

esjaygee (3906) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 27, 2011
Straw yellow with a large head that fades away faster than I can type this sentence. Aroma is sweet, grassy and adjuncted, hello pale lager. I guess I’m a sucker for my home states clicks, so for 39 cents I couldn’t pass this one up. Thin, corny, metallic, grassy and sweetly malted with a touch of honey, this reminds me of my younger days when I’d buy the cheapest beer I could find. It’s better than the beers those a-holes brew at Miller Coors who are pushing to thwart the craft beer movement in Wisconsin (along with the jackass we voted in as governor).

crossovert (13833) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 15, 2011
Extremely cheap, but yet it is somehow better than the standard highlifes and buds

dekester1 (370) - Town of Maple Creek, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 18, 2010
UPDATED: DEC 31, 2010 Poured a pale yellow-gold color with a decent head that slowly faded to lace. Aroma was slightly sweet of malts and grains. Taste was similar with malts beginning with a slight sweetness. Corn and grains could be detected in the background with a light hop finish. Palate was decent. Overall, I was a bit surprised how nice a smooth this stuff was. The can said it was fully Krausened, which I would believe. Overall a nice surprise considering how cheap this stuff is.

RapeBeer (21) - Indiana, USA - AUG 11, 2010
As you can see, I am a strong advocate of cheap pale lagers. They catch a lot of flak, but in reality, they are important beers. For most of us in America and Canada, a shitty pale lager was probably our first beer. They have fueled more parties and made more family reunions bearable than any other style of beer. La Crosse lager, how ever is one beer that cannot get my gutter-punk seal of approval. On a school training trip to La Crosse, WI, I thought it appropriate to sample the city’s own beer. At $8 a case (in La Crosse at least), it was an easy buy, but the drinking was another story. Even chilled down in a hotel sink filled with ice, my first sip of this runoff was a shock to my system. It was sickeningly sweet, like many of its bargain brother are, but with a repulsive after taste. Chugging (my weapon of choice against bad beers) was useless against this vile brew. After nearly ten minutes, I finished my last sip. Later that day, we passed by the City Brewery (which is guilty of brewing this junk), which claims to have "The World’s Biggest 6-Pack" (six large brewery silos dressed up to look like La Crosse tallboys). Already drunk off of delicious Pearl Street Brewery beers, I had my buddy pull over for pictures of the "6-Pack". I didn’t have a camera. I just wanted to piss on homeland of this vile beer. Avoid at all costs unless economic conditions leave you no choice.

Acknud (1082) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - MAY 13, 2010
Not as bad as I was led to believe. Just another pale lager. Corn aroma and taste. A little malty.

pkbites (976) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 5, 2010
Standard macro looking pour (piss yellow with white head). Head dies after a few minutes, but does leave some lacing on the glass. Grassy nose with some metallic scents. This is allegedly brewed under the same recipe as Heileman’s Old Style (kraeusened, etc.) but it doesn’t taste exactly the same. This has a metallic flavor and more hoppyness in the finish/aftertaste than Heileman’s Old Style. Other than that it has some sweetness to it with lemon grass notes. I’m going to rate this slightly below Heileman’s Old Style (the kraeusened version) though for a cheap beer (paid 12.49 for a 30 pack @ Woodmans on 005/05/10) this isn’t too shabby. I would rate this a full 1.5 points higher (3.7 out of 5) if it weren’t for the metallic taste/nose. The lower carbonation makes it a good slamming brew, and ice cold it is refreshing. A good mowing beer I guess. (don’t forget to pour some on the lawn. I’ve read that the malt & hops are actually good for the grass!).

drdisque (882) - Illinois, USA - MAR 26, 2010
Has a flavor. hint of hops tempered by cheap malt. mildly murky finish. not overly carbonated like so many others. decent

Tripplebrew (778) - Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA - FEB 28, 2010
Pours a clear lemon yellow with quite a bit of white head that quickly dissipates to a light coating and light lacing. Aroma is a mix of bread and hay with grassy notes. Flavor is rather floral with bread and nut flavors. Body is very light with a lot of carbonation.