Coppertail Unholy Belgian Tripel (Trippel)

overall

RATINGS: 75   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%

trykard2007 (1) - - SEP 25, 2017 does not count
Not terrible. Tasted fruitier than anticipated but very pleasant. Gets better the more you sip it ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Tmoney99 (14869) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 22, 2017
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2017 Draft at Coppertail Brewing. CDGC ALFRWHMLEL MHCSFA MFBSTTSC MHCSF MDCSF MLD. Solid complex beer.

Aurelius (5500) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - SEP 1, 2017
Standard 12oz longneck, fair label. Yellow blonde beer with a galaxy of flocculent yeast. Thin white head. Pineapple, plasticky aroma. PIneapple-hoppy up front. Moderately sweet, slightly astringent, fairly bitter, lightly sweet. Comes off as another Belgian IPA. Market Square Liquors, Tallahassee.

makeitadouble (8) - Florida, USA - AUG 28, 2017 does not count
Unholy Trippel - This fine,beautiful brown sugary, malty master piece exceeded my expectations. I was looking for a good strong beer to brighten up my day and came across this Belgian style brew. It is very aromatic and very malty, not much hops , but the sugar is what gives it its high ABV which stands at a whopping 9%. Pear, sweet raisins, and a creamy wash tickles the tongue into submission. The bight cloudy yellow color stands out without 2 fingers of head. The perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness combined with a High ABV kick made this beer an instant favorite.

Evolutionary (515) - Ohio, USA - JUL 24, 2017
Bottle from publix in st Pete. Nose is bread, toast, cereal, and dark fruit. Body is smooth and medium thick with notes of alcohol, clove, raisin, licorice, dough, and dark fruit again. A decent brew but not top of line for this awesome style.

Enniskillen (2060) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JUL 24, 2017
Gold with a copper tinge to it, thin white head. Aroma is doughy yeast, light alcohol, light fruit accents. Taste is doughy yeast, mild hops in the background, light fruits, mild honey characteristics.

Chudwick (3332) - Taylor Mill, Kentucky, USA - JUN 16, 2017
Botel (bottel) - nose is honey, raisins and boozy forest fruit. Sip adds booze with a hop kick. Decent.

hopdog (12953) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 9, 2017
12oz bottle. Poured a golden color with a smaller sized off white head. Fruity, spice, and some citrus.

ironprog (89) - Florida, USA - MAY 27, 2017
12 oz. bottle. Pours a lemony gold color with a tight, white head that lasts a fair amount of time. Aroma is sweet with scents of lemon, yeast, and orange peel. Taste is exactly what it smells like ... sweet, lemony, and just a hint of orange. Very refreshing!! It is light-bodied with a slightly creamy texture and has lively carbonation. The finish is a bit tart. Overall a surprisingly good beer. When I saw it in the store I really wasn’t expecting much but figured, "What the heck". Now I’m glad that I did! I’d also like to point out that the artwork on the label is some of the coolest I’ve ever seen on a beer bottle. Their Night Swim porter is another good one to check out (both art-wise and beer-wise).

UXO (1896) - CANADA - MAY 20, 2017
Appearance: slightly hazy pale gold with one fat finger of rocky white head diminishing gradually to a creamy dense cap, moderate chunky lacing. (4/5) Aroma: doughy yeast, coriander, candi sugar, banana, apples and pears, citrus. (7/10) Taste: moderate sweet, moderate bitter, mild peppery spice. (7/10) Palate: medium slightly slick body, moderate carbonation, sweetish moderately spicy finish. (3/5) So, I was thinking (yeah, I know, first mistake): pale, clean, dry, highly attenuated… those characteristics definitely aren’t my bag when it comes to IPAs, but they sure as hell are when it comes to Tripels. So, precisely the characteristics that made me so dismissive of their Free Dive and Hyperbolic IPAs, should be exactly in keeping with what I’d like to see here, right? Well… maybe. I mean, there’s some of that. But it leads out with a doughy yeast, and carries through with a little more sweetness than I’d like, and finishes with a spicy coriander that to some extent balances the slightly heavy-handed and slick alcohol, but mostly just overwhelms everything that came before. It’s not bad, y’know?, but I was hoping for more. It’s very possible I haven’t had a better American Tripel, and it’s actually better than some Belgians I’ve had - but I’ve certainly had many better examples of the style, whether Belgian, French, or, yes, Canadian. (14/20) 7/10 #ryansbooze ryansbooze.com