Coppertail Unholy Belgian Tripel (Trippel)

overall

RATINGS: 74   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%

Chudwick (3181) - Taylor Mill, Kentucky, USA - JUN 16, 2017
Botel (bottel) - nose is honey, raisins and boozy forest fruit. Sip adds booze with a hop kick. Decent.

hopdog (12350) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 9, 2017
12oz bottle. Poured a golden color with a smaller sized off white head. Fruity, spice, and some citrus.

ironprog (81) - Florida, USA - MAY 27, 2017
12 oz. bottle. Pours a lemony gold color with a tight, white head that lasts a fair amount of time. Aroma is sweet with scents of lemon, yeast, and orange peel. Taste is exactly what it smells like ... sweet, lemony, and just a hint of orange. Very refreshing!! It is light-bodied with a slightly creamy texture and has lively carbonation. The finish is a bit tart. Overall a surprisingly good beer. When I saw it in the store I really wasn’t expecting much but figured, "What the heck". Now I’m glad that I did! I’d also like to point out that the artwork on the label is some of the coolest I’ve ever seen on a beer bottle. Their Night Swim porter is another good one to check out (both art-wise and beer-wise).

UXO (1896) - CANADA - MAY 20, 2017
Appearance: slightly hazy pale gold with one fat finger of rocky white head diminishing gradually to a creamy dense cap, moderate chunky lacing. (4/5) Aroma: doughy yeast, coriander, candi sugar, banana, apples and pears, citrus. (7/10) Taste: moderate sweet, moderate bitter, mild peppery spice. (7/10) Palate: medium slightly slick body, moderate carbonation, sweetish moderately spicy finish. (3/5) So, I was thinking (yeah, I know, first mistake): pale, clean, dry, highly attenuated… those characteristics definitely aren’t my bag when it comes to IPAs, but they sure as hell are when it comes to Tripels. So, precisely the characteristics that made me so dismissive of their Free Dive and Hyperbolic IPAs, should be exactly in keeping with what I’d like to see here, right? Well… maybe. I mean, there’s some of that. But it leads out with a doughy yeast, and carries through with a little more sweetness than I’d like, and finishes with a spicy coriander that to some extent balances the slightly heavy-handed and slick alcohol, but mostly just overwhelms everything that came before. It’s not bad, y’know?, but I was hoping for more. It’s very possible I haven’t had a better American Tripel, and it’s actually better than some Belgians I’ve had - but I’ve certainly had many better examples of the style, whether Belgian, French, or, yes, Canadian. (14/20) 7/10 #ryansbooze ryansbooze.com

Jow (3899) - New York, USA - MAY 5, 2017
Bottle at lunch at Captain & Krewe in Naples. Bright enticing gold pour. Nose is yeasty and fruity. Tastes of yeast, orange, coriander, florals and lime. Some booziness for sure. Nice.

Block (2688) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - APR 22, 2017
A pretty nice tripel. Good flavors, yeast as expected. Strong alcohol which is very well balanced and hidden. Great.

alexsdad06 (10273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 10, 2017
Draft at Coppertail. Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a small off white head. The aroma and flavor have sweet malts, honey, citrus, bready malts, Belgian yeast, some mild hop character, mild bitterness to the finish, not bad, hints of alcohol.

Sledutah (7490) - Utah, USA - MAR 26, 2017
12oz bottle thanks to Jim
Pours slightly cloudy golden with a small off-white head, some lacing. Aroma of Belgian malts, fruity and citrus. Flavor of grapefruit, oranges, fruity and lemon
Tasty

gnoff (10226) - Mölndal, SWEDEN - FEB 14, 2017
12 fl oz bottle at Rumba Island Bar and Grill, FL, on January 31, 2017.
Clear golden color, white head. Hoppy, yeasty taste. Medium mouthfeel, medium bitterness. Spicy, yeasty, hoppy, citrus aftertaste. Spicy, mild hoppy scent.

BREWMUSKCLES (2673) - New Jersey, USA - DEC 7, 2016
a full introduction to the senses with a bit of booze in the aroma. nice golden orange with a kick of power. some dried dark fruit. nice mouth feel and alcohol again evident. a good sipper.